Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-25-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
overdrive75

Ok, here's my question. I have a Pioneer DEH P8000R HU in my vehicle. I want to get XM but dont' want to coble anything. or put another FM modulator in. Pioneer offers the GEX 910XM unit that will connects to Pioneer HU's through the IP bus port. My question is my HU and owner's manual don't mention XM anywhere. The only mention of somthing remotely related to XM is a mention of DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) Tuners. So does this mean that this XM modual will work with my HU or not.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
I know most new Pioneer HU's are XM ready, meaning that you just need to add the XM receiver and antenna. The easiest way to tell if your HU is XM-ready is to look at the front of the head unit... if it is XM ready, it will have the ((XM)) logo on it. If it is not XM-ready, you can still get digitial quality sound with either XM or Sirius if your head unit has an extra AUX set of plugs (like for a CD changer or something)... then you will need a tuner, receiver, and antenna. The tuner is a separate module that you would use to change the station. You would set your head unit to AUX, and use the tuner to change the station. If you decide to go this way because your head unit is not xm-ready, Sirius is offering free hardware that will get you the new Shuttle 2 hardware with a 1 year paid subscription (~$120 discounted if you pay a full year) so it winds up being much cheaper than XM at least at first.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
oh yeah, and the DAB support I believe is for future radio broadcasting which is going to change from analog to digital broadcasts... not for xm.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
overdrive75

Well i found out that that combination will not work. There is no XM module addon that will work. So I will get the Skifi and the RCA adaptor and hook into the HU that way.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
overdrive75

Thanks for the help, also Sirrus is not an option being a GM employee, I get a somewhat break on cost of XM so that is the way it's gonna go.