Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Do you know if the engine has had its Lower intake manifold gasket swapped out for metal ones? I think that's the major thing when buying a 60 degree GM engine, but that's just me. These cars act weird when that gasket is bad.

It is an 03' and for the '03 and '04 cars a lot of people say it was fixed, though with the 03's I am sure at least some of the early ones still had the issue.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #22
Dynamix
GX Member

Dynamix is on a distinguished road
I heard that GM used better gaskets with the change to the 02 model year. Is that right? In Germany we only had the 99-01 models, so I cant tell. Sooner or later every Alero that has been sold in Germany will have this issues.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #23
03AceAlero
GX Member

03AceAlero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
Those looks like MB Drifter wheels. They are sold through discount tire stores. My old alero had 17" Black MB Drifter wheels.

Yeah, that's where the lady I bought it from said it came from
03AceAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
03AceAlero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Do you know if the engine has had its Lower intake manifold gasket swapped out for metal ones? I think that's the major thing when buying a 60 degree GM engine, but that's just me. These cars act weird when that gasket is bad.

Doesn't appear to have anything done to it but I haven't looked real close. I'm aware of the issue, I have a 99 silhouette but haven't done anything to it yet. I do have a lot of oil seepage with it though. Not sure if the anti freeze was the cause of the intake gasket issue but I changed my anti freeze early in its life.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
It is an 03' and for the '03 and '04 cars a lot of people say it was fixed, though with the 03's I am sure at least some of the early ones still had the issue.

Yeah, I've heard of some 04's having the issue. Not on the Alero, but I think once on the Grand Am and a couple times on the Impala.

I feel it's always better to ask that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03AceAlero View Post
Doesn't appear to have anything done to it but I haven't looked real close. I'm aware of the issue, I have a 99 silhouette but haven't done anything to it yet. I do have a lot of oil seepage with it though. Not sure if the anti freeze was the cause of the intake gasket issue but I changed my anti freeze early in its life.

Well the real problem is the gaskets made out of plastic. Plastic and heat don't mix. My Cutlass Supreme has this issue as well, but I have the 3.4 Twin Cam (LQ1). A lot of people say that Dexcool isn't nice to plastic but my thing is that Dexcool didn't exist until 1996-1997. I don't run Dexcool in my Cutlass so you would think my engine isn't affected, but that would be a misconception.

It's just one of those things. The job isn't that hard to do. I've done it both my V6 cars. If you're just swapping the gaskets, it's a 4 hour job. Otherwise it takes me a couple days since I usually swap the valve cover gaskets, clean the area where the LIM goes, I paint the valve covers since I already have the stuff off, etc.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
over40driver
GX Member

over40driver is on a distinguished road
That Alero looks nice. Always prefer a non-sunroof.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #27
03AceAlero
GX Member

Yeah, I don't like sunroofs either glad it didn't have one. My daughter wanted one though.