Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
OldsJax
GX Member

OldsJax is on a distinguished road
hissing and steam!

Hello All! A few months ago I bought an 01 GLS with the 3.4 (I guess all GLS models are) and while it doesn't overheat it usually runs either a smudge below halfway on the temp gage or a little above (not true accurate readings, I know).

I have noticed that when the AC or Heat is on it will typically run at a lower temp but when the ac system is off it will increase especially at idle.

The issue: I was at a stoplight the other day after the car had only been running about 15 minutes or so and the temp gage was just around half when I heard a loud hissing noise like a pressure cooker and saw white smoke or steam billowing out from the front of the car. I drove home with the heat on the rest of the way (20 miles city traffic) and it stayed below half. There were no leaks or loss of coolant.

Yesterday I replaced the water pump, fuel pressure regulator (was getting that fuel smell) and PCV valve and hose (casualties during regulator being replaced). I drove the car today about 20 miles and was fine with the heat on but noticed a weird noise at one point like a gurgling while idling.

I tried to burp the system using a spill proof funnel (lisle brand) with the heat off, about 5 minutes of idling and the temp still below half (was about 50 degrees F in Florida today) I hear the hissing and steam coming out again. It seems like it's in the lower part of the engine or possibly under.

Are there any ideas on where I should look next? Should I try burping the system again with the ac/heat on? I've also heard of possible similar issues with a heater hose. I'm just hoping it's not the radiator or head gasket.

Thanks and sorry for the super long first (2nd) post!
OldsJax is offline   Reply With Quote