Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #41
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
HELP ASAP!

Ok well I decided to change my lights in the gauge cluster, but I just used replacement 194 bulbs

http://www.victorautomotive.net/pdfs/vic/vabs2.pdf

Those, I pushed my old ones out and popped in the new ones but they don't work :-(

luckly I only changed one light and decided to try it first so I still have the other 4 working haha.

anyways.. the bottem of my lights dont have that hole that he pushed his out of, they have a wide slot. Any Suggestions, when I pulled out the light there were two little wires still on the inside, I imagine they need to hook up to my light but they are so small and I can't get to them.
My first question is did you test the bulbs first to make sure they are fine? Second did you try putting the old bulb back in to see if that would still light up? I'm confused because you said first you pushed all the old ones out and popped the new ones in but they didn't work, then you said that "luckly" you only changed one and tried that first so the other 4 are working...my question here is which one is it? Either you tried all of them and something is wrong with the instrument cluster or you tried one and something is wrong with the bulbs...I find it hard to believe that your luck is that bad and all of the bulbs are bad. Maybe the wrong bulbs?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #42
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
My first question is did you test the bulbs first to make sure they are fine? Second did you try putting the old bulb back in to see if that would still light up? I'm confused because you said first you pushed all the old ones out and popped the new ones in but they didn't work, then you said that "luckly" you only changed one and tried that first so the other 4 are working...my question here is which one is it? Either you tried all of them and something is wrong with the instrument cluster or you tried one and something is wrong with the bulbs...I find it hard to believe that your luck is that bad and all of the bulbs are bad. Maybe the wrong bulbs?

I misstated that sorry haha I only popped out one bulb, I guess I was getting ahead of myself haha

No they are the 194 bulbs that it said I should use :-/

I shall trying hooking the bulb up to a battery
Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #43
Misuseofyou
GL Member

Misuseofyou is on a distinguished road
Pull the wires through the bottom of the plastic holder and wire them up.
Misuseofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #44
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMahanXcorEXx View Post
I misstated that sorry haha I only popped out one bulb, I guess I was getting ahead of myself haha

No they are the 194 bulbs that it said I should use :-/

I shall trying hooking the bulb up to a battery
UHMMM ok then I would have tried another bulb or try it in another spot...if it still doesn't work then something is wrong with the bulbs...You did put the old one back in after you tried the new one right? Did it work? If not then try the old bulb in another spot to make sure the bulb is still goodl. If after all that crap then its safe to say that the bulb socket is fubared.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #45
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
got 3 of em in 2 more to go, I had to drive my gf home so i had multi colored dash lights tonight :-) sweet!

soo yea thanks to everyone for helpin me haha I needed to get little wire and hook it up to the little clips sticking out.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #46
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
I'm adding this post to my FAQ... figure i'd put it here too...

HOW TO REMOVE THE BLUE TINT:
compliments of jeenysrider07:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=35

i got the blueish tint off the speedo. All you have to do is peel the black piece with the numbers off of the clear plastic (just peel slow) Then You need to get the glue stuff off of the back where the blue is. I used a flathead screwdriver. Then wherever the blueish tint is you have to sand off. Then its cleared. The last pic has a white led flashlight behind it.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #47
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
mmm, i would love my liquid white cluster... might do it today,

tips on getting my needles back on correctly?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #48
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
i started the car, put a piece of tape where they all pointed. Did the mod, put the cluster back in (w/o the front plastic) started it, put the needles back where they were.

i did have to adjust the tach/speedo. didn't take much (espicially if you know exactly where you idle, for tach) speedo is easy... put it at zero.

my gas gauge is still off by a smidge. but its nothing bad. I'll have to readjust it when i do red needles.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #49
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
i started the car, put a piece of tape where they all pointed. Did the mod, put the cluster back in (w/o the front plastic) started it, put the needles back where they were.

i did have to adjust the tach/speedo. didn't take much (espicially if you know exactly where you idle, for tach) speedo is easy... put it at zero.

my gas gauge is still off by a smidge. but its nothing bad. I'll have to readjust it when i do red needles.

yeah, my temp is off, and so is my tach..
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #50
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
...but you can't do 2 color with that method.

For two color... you need to do something more similar to this...

Note different bulb holder from original pics! I didn't know different years has different bulb holders, until chipmunk sent me his old ones...

I had 3 blue leds die (i'm pretty sure it was due to shotty soldering on the resistors) so i was remaking these. Figured I should take a pic since i was doing it. (also gave me a reason to play with my dad's new Canon Rebel XS. :drool: )

Tips will be sanded. I had to go to work/ran outta time.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #51
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
You have poop on your thumbnail!!! Use 2-ply dude!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #52
cherrington17
Gone

um... no. its very faint dried blood... from a scratch lower... but thanks for playing.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #53
Ttop191
GLS member

damn, and i was so close to a whole new definition for thread crapping
Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #54
cherrington17
Gone

new shots... better camera.

I never have both on at once (last pic) but everyone seems to like to see what it would look like...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #55
kingjames64
GX Member

kingjames64 is on a distinguished road
If i buy this from superbrightleds.com.... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...eds.htm#fivemm

RL5-B12120 Blue LED
$ 0.59

* Blue Super Bright LED
470nm / 1200 mcd / 120 Degree Viewing Angle Flat Tipped 5mm LED

What resistors will i need?
kingjames64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #56
Ttop191
GLS member

Puuurdy
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #57
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames64 View Post
If i buy this from superbrightleds.com.... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...eds.htm#fivemm

RL5-B12120 Blue LED
$ 0.59

* Blue Super Bright LED
470nm / 1200 mcd / 120 Degree Viewing Angle Flat Tipped 5mm LED

What resistors will i need?

blue? uses 470 ohm

WARNING: if you do the needles, as per yalero's "how to" THE MOTORS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE! I just had this problem. They fit into the recepticles for each other... but the gas/coolant motors will not move the tach/speedo!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #58
kingjames64
GX Member

kingjames64 is on a distinguished road
yes blue, so this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107599019
kingjames64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #59
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

my white gauges are SEX )if 13 of the 35 LED's didn't die.. i'd take pics...

Tom saw them flickering.. and going haywire..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #60
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames64 View Post

1/2W is kinda high.. go with 1/4W. 1/8W is possible... but a PITA to prevent the leads from snapping.