Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 08-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #21
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
well those pics are from installing it out under the hood. the 3400 tranny has the same plug. so you can install it the same way.

if you don't know where the wires are at the ecu then you can do it under the hood at the plug.

actually out at the plug didn't even take 10 minutes to install.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #22
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
the grinding noise it the pump. on the higher setting the pumps makes a lot of noise. kinda like the auto trans does with the pump all the way turned up.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #23
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
summit racing also has it for 39.95 here
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 PM   #24
1WhiteOSV

the pump on what?...the tranny?

I also like installing on the back of the ECU because you can keep the unit inside the car with you and control it from inside AND you DONT have to run wires under the hood :thumbsup:
Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #25
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 1WhiteOSV@Aug 19 2004, 10:45 PM

I also like installing on the back of the ECU because you can keep the unit inside the car with you and control it from inside AND you DONT have to run wires under the hood :thumbsup:
pics of splice locations would be great...
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:12 AM   #26
1WhiteOSV

I will post pics 2morrow when I get outta class....no worries, it's SO easy to install.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:31 AM   #27
Oldsman
Owner

it is the pump inside the tranny.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 AM   #28
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by 1WhiteOSV@Aug 19 2004, 04:45 PM

i do control it from inside. far as running wire out to the engine compartment. just followed amp power wire. piece of cake.

besides they give you enough wire.

but hooking it up either way will work.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #29
1WhiteOSV

oh..cool...i didn't know how long the wire is when it's new because I bought mine used and it must have been cut to length because my wire was only about 4feet long.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #30
Oldsman
Owner

mine was like 12ft long...........lol
Old 08-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #31
1WhiteOSV

LOL
Old 08-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #32
1WhiteOSV

Here are 2 pics of the install...........I will post instructions on the 2nd post
Old 08-21-2004, 03:08 AM   #33
1WhiteOSV

Installing the B&M ShiftPlus on a 3400 V6 at the ECU instead of under the hood (both work fine).

1. Locate ECU on the driver's side. You'll need to remove the plastic cover piece by removing the push-in retainer. This is all located down in the footwell by the pedals.

2. Locate large wire harness coming from the back of the ECU. You'll need to remove the 1st layer of electrical tape that is wrapped around the harness. Once that's done it's time to locate the 2 wires you'll use.

3. Locate the wires in the harness on the back of the ECU that you'll use. To make it easy and so you don't have to guess which ones they are (because there's multiple wires that are the same color) you should go to the bottom right hand corner of the ECU (as you're looking at it from in front...bottom left hand corner if you're looking at it from behind...THIS IS CIRCLED IN GREEN IN THE 2ND PICTURE). The wires you're looking for are striped. One will be a LIGHT BLUE w/ a skinny WHITE STRIPE and the other will be RED w/ a skinny BLACK STRIPE (SHOWN WITH GREEN ARROWS IN THE FIRST PICTURE ABOVE). These will be the wires you splice into.

4. Splice into the wires. You'll want to get some nice wire strippers or VERY CAREFULLY use cutters to strip back the wire casing a little bit on each wire for the B&M wires to splice into. You will take the RED wire on the B&M unit and splice it with the RED w/ BLACK STRIPE wire on the back of the ECU. Then you'll take the BLACK wire from the B&M unit and splice it with the LIGHT BLUE w/ WHITE STRIPE wire on the back of the ECU. Once both splices are done and electrical taped back up for protection, you're finished!
**to make installation much faster and cleaner, I would recommend getting some self-splicing connectors to use for the connections**

All installations are done at OWN RISK. I will NOT be held responsible for any type of harm or damage caused to ones equipment or vehicle. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:14 AM   #34
1WhiteOSV

I also apologize for the pictures....my digital camera sucks a lot and doesn't take very good close-up shots for some reason. Sorry guys! If you absolutely can't use those pictures or need further explaination, just let me know and I'll do the best I can!

-Adam-
Old 09-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #35
bjensen83

Um. i installed the shift kit on my V6 2001 Alero, and i don't feel any difference from off than in setting 2.... what's wrong, i spliced the black wire into the light blue/white stripe wire, and the red into the red/black stripe wire, and still doesn't work. i've checked it several times and still doesn't work.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #36
Oldsman
Owner

if it don't work then you hooked it up wrong.

there is 2 blue and white wires coming from the tranny. that is why i said go to the plug under the hood because you can go by the pin location as i stated in the how to.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:08 AM   #37
bjensen83

kk. I think it is hooked up, but it drives bad now, the RPMs fluctuates alot when at a stop light, but i'll rehook it up. thanks bro.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #38
G3m1n1

I recently hooked up the B&M Shift+, but since I can not see the pics that Oldsman posted, I hooked it up under the dash like 1WhiteOSV showed. I'm fairley certain I got the correct wires, but I'm not noticing a major change in the way the car shifts. I seem to have a little better acceleration, and when I really hit the gas I shift to 2nd at about 6k RPMs. Oldsman, could you email me the pics that you had posted at the top of this topic? I'd like to try hooking it up under the hood to see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #39
Oldsman
Owner

this is the plug
Old 09-21-2004, 10:23 PM   #40
Oldsman
Owner

after the install with the provide connectors