Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Netuddki
GX Member

Netuddki is on a distinguished road
Video about replacing Passenger Air Bag Cover

I made a video today, how to replace the passenger Air Bag Cover.
Enjoy:

https://rumble.com/vx6e8h-replacing-...alero.mp4.html

(boycotting YT, so here is a new link on Rumble.)

Last edited by Netuddki : 03-19-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Netuddki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
I am going to sticky this. Nice job on the video.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
jokerl90
GX Member

jokerl90 is on a distinguished road
Excellent job. Added to my favorites for future reference. Mine is peeling up at the ends, thought about super gluing it.
Nice music also, much better than most of the crap people put on their videos.
jokerl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Netuddki
GX Member

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I had to do it in the garage and there was not enough space for positioning the camera right, so I had to film from the driver seat mostly.

The music is from youtube's free to use list. I tried to use some nicer ones.

My spoken english is horrible, so I didn't want you get ear cancer.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I can see that you used a new cover, but I assume that can I use these steps to repair my existing cover that has crinkled up (like the dash). I am also surprised that you could even get a new cover. I will have to see how much that costs.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 04-07-2015 at 11:06 AM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Netuddki
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
I can see that you used a new cover, but I assume that can I use these steps to repair my existing cover that has crinkled up (like the dash). I am also surprised that you could even get a new cover. I will have to see how much that costs.

Of course you can use this method to just take off the cover and try to repair it.
The leather is just glued to that metal plate under the edge.

I got the cover on the german ebay for €35 inclusive shipping to Austria. It's a used one too, but it's in very good shape.
I just got lucky, but I assume you can try to find one on a junk yard or in used part stores.

Last edited by Netuddki : 04-07-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:47 AM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Another idea that could work is vinyl wrapping the cover. It seems the cover was covered in vinyl to begin with...
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Another reason why I am asking is because my dash is bad as well. I could get one of those covers, but then I'd still have the crinkled air bag cover. IMO, it's not worth fixing the dash, just to have the ugly air bag cover still there.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:12 AM   #9
Netuddki
GX Member

You can buy replacement for the dash. It's not even that expensive if you live in the US, but I didn't see air bag cover anywhere on the net as a new replacement.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netuddki View Post
You can buy replacement for the dash. It's not even that expensive if you live in the US, but I didn't see air bag cover anywhere on the net as a new replacement.

I assume that you are referring to the plastic dash covers that cost over $100
Old 04-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #11
Netuddki
GX Member

Actually I was referring to complete OEM replacement of the dash. I am sure, I have seen it for around $100-$150 somewhere, but I can't find it now.

I think $100 for a complete replacement is not really much.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
andys auto sport and rock auto is where I had seen those full replacements. I believe they are just overlays though. they do not come with an airbag cover, its just cut out and would leave your factory one exposed.
Good video! I'm going to try and re-appulster mine before homecoming now that I know how to get to the darn thing.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

This is why I want to fix mine:

It looks way uglier in person.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
jlhog
GX Member

jlhog is on a distinguished road
Mine looked like that when I bought my Alero. We went to a self service junkyard and found a good one for $5. Cheap and easy.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

Some pics from the Factory Service Manual and other to make it easier for the next person:

As you can see, the Factory Service Manual refers to it as an Inflatable Restraint IP Module (Passenger Inflator Module).

Here is the schematic which shows with fuses to pull:

They are on the left size door fuse panel:

Pull the G and K fuses:

Having said that, the Factory Service Manual says to only pull the Air Bag Fuse (the upper one of the two fuses, shown above, marked as G on the cover), but them mentions that you will see the air bag light on. I think if you pull both I mention probably not:

From the Factory Service Manual on how to physically remove and install the passenger side air bag:

As for how to remove the glove compartment (#2 above):

This fails to mention the 6 bolts holding it on (use 7mm socket), and then the electrical connector for the glove compartment light bulb.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 08-07-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Oldsnut

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
It should only take about 35-45 minutes to remove it. I did my wife's car about 4 weeks ago

Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #17
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
It should only take about 35-45 minutes to remove it. I did my wife's car about 4 weeks ago

Was the cover bad like mine?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #18
Oldsnut

The previous owner threw the cover in the trash when it peeled up. Found a new one at the salvage yard and replaced the whole cover. Be careful to put towels down so you don't chew up your dash pad.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

OK, I'm done. Will post some pictures later. I reglued mine back on. It's a lot less bad. If I want it to look good, I am going to need a lot of clips to hold the vinyl to the backing and a new piece of vinyl. I only had 2 clips to hold it, so I had to not do it all at once. It's either impossible or very difficult to stretch the existing vinyl back into place (and if you did, it's probably going to get unglued again). What Oldsnut said about making sure not to harm the existing dash applies as well, it's easily damaged.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #20
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
The previous owner threw the cover in the trash when it peeled up. Found a new one at the salvage yard and replaced the whole cover. Be careful to put towels down so you don't chew up your dash pad.

Won't the junkyard one peel just the the original?