Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 03-21-2021, 03:16 AM   #1
Kardain
GX Member

Kardain is on a distinguished road
OEM intake questions

Hello

Odd question and probably a long shot, but it's a shot nonetheless. I have a 2004 Cavalier with an L61 and due to... reasons... I am in need of a vertically shorter intake resonator (or whatever that plastic box on top of the TB is called). Marked as 8 in the attached picture (borrowed from GM parts direct). Aftermarket solutions are not really an option for me due to dwindling availability and the uniqueness of my scenario. For the curious, my hood contacts the intake preventing it from being able to close completely, hence why the shorter box is needed (hood is not OEM, nor for a 2004). This sent me down the path of digging through the GM parts bin.

Based on pictures, it appears the Alero one -should- work as far as height is concerned, however length (fore-aft as installed) is where I have a concern. Due to potential cross-platform incompatibility, I'm attempting to not have this component interfere with the radiator support on the Cavalier as well as having proper fitment to the throttle body so my questions are going to be very specific.

1) Does anyone know for certain if the TB inlet is the same diameter between both platforms?

2) If someone has one of these kicking about in their garage/storage and has easy access, would you be able to provide a measurement from the leading OD (forward-most) of the TB inlet to the forward-most edge of the air inlet pipe? The latter edge I'm referring to is the flat bit where 7 connects to 8, closest to the radiator support.

3) Does anyone know with certainty if this will clear a Cavalier fuel rail? I'm assuming so based on the Alero L61 rail part number being an interchangeable part for the 02 Cavalier L61 (which then can interchange with an 04... complicated, I know).

I am aware that there are fittings not present on the Alero part that are present on the Cavalier part or in a different location (IAT for example). There may also be some tuning required on my part. These will be worked out on my own at a later time.

TIA for any input provided.
Attached Images
File Type: png 038bc49385cdd2bb2062494e850aa013.png (40.6 KB, 31 views)
Kardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
dbral
GX Member

dbral is on a distinguished road
Let me know if this helps. From a 2002 ecotec Alero. Also, send a pic of what you are up to when finished if you can. Sounds interesting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.JPG (103.7 KB, 24 views)
dbral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Aftermarket solutions are exactly what you need for a unique scenario. Any automotive performance shop with a fabricator can make a custom intake to do what you need.

Asking around on your local Facebook car-themed group can also point you to people who will do it for cheap who are just fabricators who can tig weld aluminum tubing and are familiar with cars.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
Kardain
GX Member

Kardain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbral View Post
Let me know if this helps. From a 2002 ecotec Alero. Also, send a pic of what you are up to when finished if you can. Sounds interesting

Sorry about the delay, but that helps a ton. Based on the pics, it appears it will fit w/out interfering with the rad support.

I've since sourced an alternative OEM part from an 02 Cavalier that fits perfectly but will keep checking local pick-n-pulls for the alero/grand am one (same p/n for both cars)... I can get 3.4 parts all day but ecos are another story so it might be some time before there's a conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Aftermarket solutions are exactly what you need for a unique scenario. Any automotive performance shop with a fabricator can make a custom intake to do what you need.

Asking around on your local Facebook car-themed group can also point you to people who will do it for cheap who are just fabricators who can tig weld aluminum tubing and are familiar with cars.

While custom was fully on the table, it was more of a last resort path. As my sig mentions, I have a more... exciting I guess would be the appropriate word... ongoing project than tinkering with a very lightly modified car.

There is a second reason for attempting this. If it fits and clears components with little to no modification, should someone with a dead alero 2.2 and can only find Cavalier/Sunfire engines as a replacement, that's one less piece to worry about. While an L61 is an L61 at its core, there are minor differences between them depending on the model (and year) it was installed in. Besides, a little extra info for reference here def won't hurt, no?

1997 Sunfire + 3400 + 5spd = constant work in progress

Last edited by Kardain : 04-03-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Kardain is offline   Reply With Quote