Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:54 AM   #1
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
The creation of this thread was brought about by the number of post looking to remove the limiter. These threads usually got pretty bad. So from now on this is the thread on the matter. I have searched and merged dozens of these threads into one. So as your reading through it this is why some post may seem out of place. All others started will be closed. If anyone has anything they feel would be a benefit to add to this thread send it to a staff member for review and addition to the thread. ~Grouch

Is there a simple way to do this or is buying a chip the only answer?

I'd like to see what this puppy could hit, topping out at 110ish isn't doing anything for me.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:07 AM   #2
3.4Alero

There is no simple way to do it yourself, as far as anyone on here knows. A chip or reprogram is the way to go.

Old 12-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I heard if you disconnect one of the throttle body cables that leads to a box, that will do it. :unsure:

I've never done it and don't intend to. I'll be buying a chip, Any suggestions? I was thinking about the one on Alero Upgrades.com

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-07-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Presently, ASE chips are the chips available for the 3400... DHP hasn't finished their tune for us.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
Orion

got a website for ase ?

Old 12-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Check out this web page, they reprogram your PCM. I think it's better than buying a chip
www.c-yaracing.com

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #7
GLSalero99

try http://www.c-ya-racing.com

Old 12-20-2003, 01:05 AM   #8
Final-Reality

Cut and pasted from the j-body.org forums:

Quote:

Since this question is asked so much, I'm going to write this how-to.

What the VSS is
The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is a magnetic pickup device that measures the rotation of the output shaft on the transaxle (transmission) then sends an AC voltage signal back to the PCM (powertrain control module) to determine the vehicles speed.

What the VSS Mod does
The VSS mod is the act of putting a switch in-line with one of the wires coming off of the VSS sensor to interrupt the signal being sent to the PCM. Putting a switch inline with the sensor will cut the signal to the PCM, and your car will no longer be able to determine how fast it is going. This also eliminates the signal to your odometer.

Things to think about
There are some very important points that must be considered.

-Safety
Â;-) Â;-) The limiter is there for a reason. The stock suspension/tires/brakes are not designed to be safe at speeds above 108mph. Upgrading your rotors, pads, and suspension are necessary BEFORE doing this mod.

-The law
Â;-) Â;-) Not only is speeding illegal, but it is dangerous to other people on the road. The VSS mod violates many other laws that can bite you in the rear later. One of them is the fact that turning on the VSS switch (cutting the signal to the PCM) will disable the odometer. You've just committed odometer fraud and it is now illegal to sell your car with "actual mileage" marked on the title. It can also land you a huge fine trying to sell the car like that, and instantly and significantly decreases the value of your car.

-GM
Â;-) Â;-) Not only will the VSS mod void any remaining GM warranty on your vehicle, you may not be eligible for recall repairs after performing this "mod."

How to do the mod
What you will need:
-Wire cutters
-2 lengths of wire, around 8ft each (these will get cut smaller).
-1 toggle switch (DO NOT USE A LIGHTED SWITCH)

1. Locate your transmission (if you can't do this, then stop nowÂ;-) ).
2. Locate a sensor with 2 purple wires coming out of it.
2a. On the manual transaxle, there will be 3 sensors. The VSS is the one mounted vertically directly next to one mounted horizontally on the rear left side of the transmission, looking down from the top.
3. Cut one of the purple wires. (It doesn't matter which one) Make sure to leave enough wire on the sensor side to work with.
4. Connect (with a butt connector) one of the lengths 8 ft wire to the sensor side of the purple wire.
5. Connect the other length of wire to the other length of 8 ft wire to the wire that you cut from the sensor.
6. Run these two wires through the firewall into the cabin of the vehicle. (I found the best place is the huge steering wheel grommet)
7. Find a suitable mounting location for the switch and mount the switch.
8. Connect the ends of the wires that you ran into the cabin to each side of the switch (doesn't matter which).

Now, when the switch is ON, the vss will be enabled, and your speedometer will work along with your odometer and speed limiter. When the switch is OFF, the vss will be disabled and your speedometer, odometer, and speed limiter will be disabled.

(To those who know)
Feel free to add/edit as necessary...

-Ron

Note: this mod has been verified to work on the automatic transmissions as well.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:38 AM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Thanks, that's why it didn't work :P

Did anybody try this company? Is this worth it?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
cutlass442dude

I was just curious....has anyone changed the computer chip in thier 2.4 alero so there is no speed govenor and if so, how fast will it run.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 PM   #11
alero(hed)

the ase chip will give u about 17hp and take off the governor (it's listed under 2.4L grand am)ase chips.. my friend has a 2000 altima se 2.4L and has some chip in it... it marks 140mph(like the alero) and his gets up to 131mph b4 topping out... no telling for the alero

Old 01-03-2004, 12:25 AM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
ASE is it that is available for the 2.4
Old 01-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
well im gonna try to put a link in here from the ga boards..i thought it was interesting, although i wouldnt do it to my car, but it is a cheap way around the speed govener...but then again...you have to have someone beside ya to tell ya how fast your goin.. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=27327
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
oh the VSS mod.................that is a ify one for an auto. it works with a manual though.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:56 PM   #15
Silverknight

First off you have to have a 2.4L engine for this to work.

The first thing you will want to you is to remove the screw holding down the intake box and pull it back like so..

Just another angle..

This is the connector you must unhook. In order to get to this you must either have skinny arms or a long set of plyers. It is located on top of the transmission. If you look directly down from the top of the engint it will be slightly to your left. A flashlight is recomended to find the connector easier.

This pic shows where you should look...

Here is a closer view of the connector. There is a piece of plastic that you have to flip up in order to remove it....you can see it here.

This is what it looks like when it is disconnected

Another angle.

Just to let you know, once this is disconnected your engine with throw a SES light but will work just fine. Your speedo will no longer read speed but your tac will still show your RPM....

Hope every one likes this

Old 01-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #16
Orion

theres no pictures there slick

Old 01-21-2004, 10:40 AM   #17
Silverknight

try again, the pics are hosted on my own webspace and should work just fine

Old 01-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #18
cutlass442dude

Does the odometer still work when you do this?

Old 01-21-2004, 07:18 PM   #19
Silverknight

your speed will display 0 so it is recomended that you either know how fast you are going according to rpm or that you have a GPS system which will read speed

Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #20
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
No the odomiter dose not work with this mod....
Buddy of mine kept his warrnety for an extra 30000 k...lol :P

Closed Thread