Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 02:48 AM   #41
Sportalero

The ONLY way to get this done is with a DHP-PCM or ASE reprogram. The whole "snip a wire to bypass it" doesn't work on the 3400. I dug up all the info on why it won't work when i tried to do it over a year ago.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 AM   #42
misslindseysue

And where the hell are you going to go faster than 108 anyway? You can't get that fast on a 1/4 mile, and I pray I'm not on the same highway you're on if that's where you're trying it.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:53 AM   #43
dadirtybulldog

in my opinion this is one of the most dangerous mods you can do... especially with how stupid/ idiotic kids are nowadays... if i did this mod i would hurt myself. period.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #44
3.4Alero

You people need to calm down. There are more than a few of us who could benefit from this, because we DO road race at various tracks. When I hit the speed limiter on the back stretch where I race, it's before my braking point, which means I just lost time. Oh, and by the way, I learned road racing by doing driving schools and open lapping days with professional instructors.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM   #45
hurstalero
GX Member

hurstalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Calm yourselves guys , I was just wanting to know some info on this subject. I do not plan on taking the old Alero to the Salt Flats, Texas Mile or a Cannonball. I just wanted to see if it could be done, so I could always now I could use it in a pinch like for a few seconds while on the Kansas interstate in no mans land. Thanks for the input think I will just roll with the 106 for right now. I have replaced all springs, struts and added strut bars both front and rear, but tires are next.

Thanks,
Weber
Daily Driver http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/537877 Modifications: window tint, front and rear strut tower braces, Sprint lowering springs, Magnaflow muffler, SLP air temperature module, mesh grill, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, Street Glow bulbs, MAP Enineering exhaust heat shield,Doctor Speed Stage 2 short ram intake, and a K&N cone filter.

Project http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/518009
Old 04-20-2004, 05:31 PM   #46
mfuller

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacho@Apr 19 2004, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know the top speed of the 3.4 alero v6 with the governor disconnected?
Assuming you have tires designed to support the increased speed ceiling, a stock 3400-powered Alero will lose the aerodynamic fight somewhere around 127MPH.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:42 PM   #47
mfuller

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportalero+Apr 20 2004, 04:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sportalero @ Apr 20 2004, 04:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mfuller@Apr 20 2004, 09:31 PM

Assuming you have tires designed to support the increased speed ceiling, a stock 3400-powered Alero will lose the aerodynamic fight somewhere around 127MPH.
Speaking from experience??? [/b][/quote]
That's my best guess, taking into account available power, gearing, and coefficient of drag. I personally have hit 126mph (on a closed course, and the car still had some left), but I wasn't stock at the time.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #48
3.4Alero

Matt Fuller has the most experience with his Alero hitting 126 mph (I believe). He said he doesn't feel that it would get much faster than that, maybe a couple more mph. Not because of lack of power, but the evil drag really limits it around there.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #49
2000NavyAleroGLS

Isn't the governer at 108mph. I'm not sure cause I'm canadian, but mine governs at 180km/h. That would be 108mph.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #50
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by hurstalero@Apr 19 2004, 08:10 PM
Calm yourselves guys
I just asked where you were going to try it. If, like 3.4, you're racing legally on a track that you can get it past that, cool. If you're on the interstate, not cool, no matter how empty it may appear.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 AM   #51
99aleroGLS

i have a buddy that works for a GM dealership and he can take off the limiter in about 5 min and cost bout 25 dollars. Any GM dealership should be able to do it.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:40 PM   #52
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by 99aleroGLS@May 3 2004, 10:03 AM
i have a buddy that works for a GM dealership and he can take off the limiter in about 5 min and cost bout 25 dollars. Any GM dealership should be able to do it.
I'm pretty sure your buddy would get fired if his boss knew he was doing that. GM dealerships are not allowed to do that, mainly for liabilities sake.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #53
Sportalero

I guess it works the same for the 3.4. When i asked a RKSport GM tech about it, he told me he knew how to do it on 2.4, but knew nothing about the 3400. I'm just saving up for a DHP now. Does your tach still work with this mod, because how would you determine when you're on the verge of blowing up?

Old 05-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #54
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a small thought fellas.

I don't intend on ever doing the snip and switch mod, but it'd be nice knowing the limiter was gone after upgrading to a DHP.....I never intend on breaking any laws, whether it be speed laws, or odometer fraud, but having the limiter gone would not only help guys like 3.4 in his road racing, but it would help those of us who intend on running the 1/4 aswell.

And before people start running their mouth, about actually HITTING 108 in the 1/4, NO. I probably won't ever hit 108 in the 1/4. BUT, there are advantages to running smaller rims and tires in front, ( less rim and tire weight, less rotational weight, etc. ) and when doing so, a car with the limiter intact and smaller diameter tires would THINK it's traveling @ 105+, when it's actually only running say, 87-90 mph. Therefore, it's completely possible to need the limiter removed without actually going that fast.

Like I said, just a small thought.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #55
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
when doing so, a car with the limiter intact and smaller diameter tires would THINK it's traveling @ 105+, when it's actually only running say, 87-90 mph. Therefore, it's completely possible to need the limiter removed without actually going that fast.

Maybe I didn't write that so it's easily understood or something, but I kinda thought it was self-explainitory. It's possible for the sensors in our cars to be sending false 108mhp signals to the drivetrain management system, when using smaller diameter tires. Therefore, you can be up against the governor about 10mph before it's supposed to hinder your speed. With this governor removed properly, it would help guys like 3.4 on the back stretch.....got some left, but can't use it. He'd save a little time EACH lap.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 05-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #56
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
top speed is governered. not much us 2.4 guys can do about but deal right now.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:27 AM   #57
olds2race
GX Member

olds2race is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to olds2race
I'm new to the Aleromod chapter but someone said that snipping a wire wouldn't work and they are correct. However adding so much as a resistor to each wheel sensor will slow down the electrical pulses to the computer( making it think it's going slower than it really is). the problem with this is that it will richen the fuel mix and the car will run like it has a cold in the powerband. And of course you will never know how fast you are really going if not fry out the speedometer all together. I found out the hard way. But I am still expirementing cheaper alternative that are still safe for the computer. REMEMBER that there is nothing wrong with trying something new, but don't be brain dead about it and not have the proper EQ for high speeds. Or you might be selling your smashed up Alero on Ebat motors and I don't think anyone wants to see that. Any input to this message is welcomed and appreciated. :thumbsup:
Old 06-17-2004, 10:59 AM   #58
n8tureboy

Deal with it.... Hmmm there's Computer Programming gear you can get to raise the Govenor to a higher speed... the's no way that the top speep.... Mine tops out at 170Km, but still has a ton of power..... Most GM cars are toped out by their computers at about 170KM (I think that's about 110 mph) And when i start doing mods to my engine.... i'm gonna want to go faster than that... For sure.

I think the company is Hyper CHip.... a buddy of mine's got one for his avalance... don't know if it's avaiable for the Alero 2.4L

Does anyone else know?

N8tureboy

Old 06-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #59
Final-Reality

I've never heard of Hyper Chip or seen anybody else on these forums mention them, so they likely don't have a product for any alero...

Old 06-17-2004, 01:57 PM   #60
n8tureboy

Your, probably Right. THe Product that I'm talking about is Hypertech http://www.hypertech-inc.com They Do make them for bigger engines but not for the 6 and 4 Cylinder ones.... <_<

Grrrr.....

N8tureboy

http://www.hypertech-inc.com

Closed Thread