Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #81
Crolero

have you seen a car in a crash going that fast....? our police force here states the following. (In KM/H) 120 = about normal highway speed. 140 = a bit over the speed limit of 130. 150 and above: no one will survived. Any passenger car going 150+ in a crash is dead. Think about that one.

Ive seen an engine from a VW Passat thrown and bounce on the expressway almost 1 km from the crash. you know how fast he was going.... 220KM/H. No need for that type of speed.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:14 AM   #82
Deuce_Nukem

. . . ask anybody who's been driving for a long time. . . it gets boring. . .

given, i'm not worried about removing my governor because even when i feel it's safe to exceed 108 mph, it's only as much fun as 95(plus fuel mileage decreases exponentially as your speed increases). . .

however, i dont think that speeding is "stupid"... no... going 80 in a 70 isnt stupid, it's a daily occurence. . . being the idiot doing 95 and slamming on his brakes to avoid rearending the guy doing 85 passing me... thats stupid. . . speeding is a way of highway life lol... in fact, i do 70 so little on my way to/from school that i honestly feel like i'm going slow if i'm under 75...

either way, i suppose i'm pro-governor. . . my tires arent exactly new, even though i think theyre rated for higher than 108(not stock)...

Old 04-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #83
jlenko
GX Member

jlenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jlenko
We have this question being asked all the time on J-body.org... since most of the uplevel Cavalier and Sunfire cars came with the 2.4L...

Here's the J-body.org answer: http://www.j-body.org/faq//80/

There's three ways I know of though...

1. Disable the VSS. That's the Vehicle Speed Sensor.. it's on the tranny. I'm not going to be more specific than that... if you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be going that fast.

2. Have someone (J-body Performance, RSM Racing, etc) reprogram your PCM with a higher speed limiter. They can't remove it, but they can raise the value on it to 255 km/h. That's plenty fast. Costs about $500 US.

3. Replace PCM with an aftermarket computer. It won't have the limiter

The only reason I know how to remove my speed limiter... is because I have to. I run nitrous... and with 15" slicks, due to the smaller tire, the car thinks it's going 108+ mph at the end of the quarter mile. (Even though it's only trapping at 100 mph)... BTW, that's a 13.8..

If I hit the limiter on the bottle... boom oh, and yes.. I only do it ON THE TRACK. It would be stupid and frankly pointless to do it anywhere else.

...j
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #84
alerospeed2003

hey thanx for the info.......it's about time somebody just gave me an answer instead of making a fuss about it. i will definately look into it.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 AM   #85
RoninKouga

we are allowed to speed as fast as we want here, so nearly everyone does. but as a fact.. . my limiter kicks in @ ~125 mph but that is way too fast for a car in this class. even diesel cars are passing me here so i decided do install a dhp pcm. the 3.4 aut has ~3500 rpm @ 125 mph and there is enugh power to go over 250 km/h. but i didnt check it, also the speedo's end is at 220 kmh. (btw over 160km/h the alero REALLY needs fuel

i'm not quite sure if you will fry your auto gearbox oil if you keep up speeds like that - the brakes in alero are very weak and the suspension system is not made for this. you can feel this. but if you upgrade them it 'd be ok i think. everything on the car has to be fitting for those speeds, so the tires.

personly - i think its dangerous to speed up like that for once, coz you dunno how your car reacts in this situation. crosswind will be a funny influence over 200, too in alero btw. - you gotta approach the max speed day by day - everyday a lil bit faster if you feel to, but since i'ts not allowed in us, u should do this on a track - but this all has been offtopic

i think removing a senser from the gearbox won't remove the governor, coz it is programmed to the pcm which calculates the speed in 2 ways. (in 3.4 aut. i kno this is a fact) it measures not only the speed (from the gearbox), it recognizes the rpm and which gear you are in and if u are too high in the calculated speed in the last gear a hard fuel cutoff applies. in 3.4 aut. you can get this situation putting the lever in "3" then it cuts hard @ 130 mph instead of gently governing at 125..

im sorrya didnt calculate all speeds to mph, but i think it may be understnadable what i wanted to say

last time i looked at dhp, the only have a pcm for 3400. if you wanna ask them for yourself, tell me ill give you the email of charles beyer, he is at dhp and very competent in custom pcm's.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #86
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
the problem with driving that fast is not neccesarily the physical attributes of the car but the unknowns of everything else. You say you are a great driver. What do you do when a racoon runs out in front of you? At 100+ MPH you get less than a sec; jerking the wheel will roll the car, there is no way in hell you are stopping in time, hit the little bastard at what damage to your car, keep in mind little things do big damage at speed. Well one dead coon, no biggie, you come around a shallow curve and holy poop someone is running across the hwy to their stalled car, now you have ~1 sec to decide and have no idea what they will do. btw braking distance is exponentially longer at higher speeds. I'm no angel. I've hit my speed gov. a few times. but only in the middle of NE, with a view for miles, and still admit it was not the smartest thing to do; I jacked up my front end on a piece of tumbleweed, yes tumbleweed fugged by bumper and grill inserts.

I'm currentely working on getting a racing license. You may think you are a great driver but even if you have been through those situations there is still room for error. The more you "learn" about your car and what it can do, the more you will realize you need to learn and that it should not be done on public roads.

Speed all you want. If you maim, kill, or other wise harm anyone I care for cause "it was a rush", I'm going old school on you and repaying in kind to your whole family.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #87
RoninKouga

1) i think its a basic principle of everyone here just to do that on places where u re able to ride as fast.

2) you are right, the limiter isn't there to stop the alero from falling apart. european aleros limiters are set to 125 mls. i took it off and the car does well over this speed.

note: as i found out right now we have a different stock brake system here.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #88
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
to ad some helpful info to this thread....there are no aftermarket computers for the ecotec, and there are also no chips yet for the ecotec, there are a few companies who can do a reflash of the computer which can program the car for aftermarket things like cams and what not, however this is supposed to be very expensive..................also, those speed chips on e-bay are worthless, they're 5 cent resistors, dont do crap
Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #89
gxryan

Thing I always wondered about ppl asking this question.
Why would you wanna go faster with an alero?

Hey I got the ecotec to, Love the thing. But it's definately not a top end demon. I'd just worry about how fast u can get it up to 105.

But hey to each there own I guess. and yeah I'm pretty sure this topic is gonna be locked in the next hr by an admin.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #90
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
You dont need to be going that fast anyway, unless you are *legally* racing it on a closed track =/ The car handles and rides ENTIRELY different at higher speeds, and many of us younger, less experienced drivers have no idea how to handle that. Just worry about the acceleration, little red-light "races" are always fun, and you dont need to go near 100 for those. The rev limiter is there for a reason. let. it. be.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #91
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
yea, you wont even come close to the limiter on a 1/4 mile track either, you need about a half mile lol
Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #92
urweak

If you dont trap 100-110 then you have no reason to remove the speed limiter. If you want to go as fast as your car can just to know what it does, then unplug the VSS sensor, but like said before, your speedo doesnt work, so its pointless. There are two companies that i know of, that can remove the limiter, but im not saying. What speed rating are your tires? Not to mention, is your bodykit able to go over 110? Might fly off. lol

Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #93
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
But the one thing with this "mod" is that youve got no speed gauge, also your tach doesn't work. Plus you gotta go cutting wires and shat and isn't worth it.