Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
99 to a 00 ecu swap great news.

Yeah i figure is was just best to share my knowledge so, but i dont know why i can edit it now but here is a better post for ya with alot more info.

Well im happy to say that yes it can be done very easy , how ? well i just spent all day yesturday with a friend of mine at the dealership and we printed out the pinouts for the 99 grand am and a 2000 grand am and the only diference is that the 2000 doesnt have an EGR thats all ,everything match perfect but here is the deal now , my 99 for some odd reason has a BCM and from what ive i have found some say that BCM only came on the 00 and up but then why does mine have it? i dont know, because mine is an early 99, also i got the 00 ECU in my car and did the hole relearning deal for the ecu and the car start it just fine.

This are some of the questions that probably are going to be asked.

1. doesnt 99 have low impedence injectors and the 00 have high impedence?
answer is yes that is right , you will need to get high impedence injectors thats the only major mod you will have to do.

2. how hard is it to get the ECU out?
answer very easy , at least for my grand am was i dont know about the alero but mine was cliped under the driver side dash, once you move the clips the ecu pretty much just falls right out.

3. if i have an EGR in mine would it hurt the performance if i remove it ?
answer is no, because now you have deleted the hole egr deal, so in other words you can now eliminate the egr and get a block off plate for it and or get the exhaust manifold gasket for a 00 with no egr at your local autoparts store. On another note you can also get a late 99 and up intake manifold wich came without the egr inlet ( no more heat in your intake from the exhaust ) more cold air better performace, im not saying you are goin to get like 20hp out of this but you will get a little better gas mileage and run a little cooler in the summer.

BCM...... is the same also, they just switch the remote for the keyless entry so thats the only difference so basicly if you dont have keyless entry now you will if you replace the bcm also, you just need the remote, but dont quote me on this, i havent tried the keyless yet. Also they got more technical with the names for the pinouts on the 00 but they are still all the same as the 99.

As for the GM supercharger reflash the only hard part of it will be to get gm to give it to you since they dont give it out to anybody unless you bought the charger from them so pretty much you will have to know someone that either works there or you will have to convince the gm tech to do the reflash for you. I will make this a little easy for you since they have to sit on the phone to get the program and this takes a little while so here are the calibration numbers for the j bodies and n bodies.

Calibration PN’s
J manual transmission 88960494
J auto transmission 88960495
N manual transmission 88961331
N auto transmission 88961332

J- Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire
N- Pontiac Grand Am

this is the number that they have to get when they call the 1 800 # so pretty much you just saved your self 30min of labor.

you will also need a 2 bar map sensor, the gm map part number is 09350899
and some high impedence fuel injectors, the program is set to run 310cc injectors wich are only good for like 4-5 psi of boost.

I hope this helps future aleros that want to do the GM supercharger reflash and run some turbos.

This is only for the 2.4 auto ld9 auto, i havent looked at the alero pinouts to see if they are the same but i know this worked on my 99 grand am 2.4, also since i figure out the auto tranny one, now someone else has to do the 5 speed one, all of his running around to get all the info made my head hurt...LOL

ALSO MAKE THIS A STICKIE SINCE I PUT SO MUCH TIME INTO THIS PLEASE, and so it doesnt get asked again, and if someone has any info that i might of have left out feel free to share it with us. The calibration numbers came from J-body.org all other info is from me.

Last edited by Oldsman : 01-12-2008 at 09:18 AM.
GA_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
well, there is no '99 5-speed so that's no big deal there.

by VCM I assume you really mean BCM? If that's the case, all the 99+ have them.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
well, there is no '99 5-speed so that's no big deal there.

by VCM I assume you really mean BCM? If that's the case, all the 99+ have them.

BCM you are correct i was to exited when i got my car done i just couldnt belive it was that easy.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
this is good news for those with the 1999 ECU that already have the smaller starter, high impedance injectors, and want to get the supercharger kit.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
^ exately like me in a couple years
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Cliff8928

Wasn't there a change in the knock sensor too.. Probably went along with the EGR change. The newer models have a 2-wire knock sensor, the older ones only have one.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Wasn't there a change in the knock sensor too.. Probably went along with the EGR change. The newer models have a 2-wire knock sensor, the older ones only have one.

i was wondering about that but i didnt see any changes on the pins for it at all so im guessing that one of the wires its just a gound of some source.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Okay I have a Q, I thought the Aleros with an LD9 didnt have EGRs or least I know they dont, same for the GA's. I thought that was for only the pre 99 LD9s
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
99 up until 99.5 had EGR, just like Grand Ams, Sunfires, and Cavaliers.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
99 up until 99.5 had EGR, just like Grand Ams, Sunfires, and Cavaliers.

well atleast i know aleros dont have that issue, and hey ion i just noticed your surpetine belt says sleeper
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
my 99 does not have a EGR and does have a BCM and it has the smaller starter and the high imp injectors. now mine was built in 3/99. i have a 2001 ECU that i should swap in.

Now did you switch to 2 wire O2 sensor? if so did you change the factory wiring harness?

I believe the knock sensor was not changed after EGR was removed but could be wrong.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #12
Cliff8928

Do you know if you have a one wire or two wire knock sensor?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
my 99 does not have a EGR and does have a BCM and it has the smaller starter and the high imp injectors. now mine was built in 3/99. i have a 2001 ECU that i should swap in.

Now did you switch to 2 wire O2 sensor? if so did you change the factory wiring harness?

I believe the knock sensor was not changed after EGR was removed but could be wrong.

Yes you have to wire the new knock sensor if you have a single wire one but dont worrie is very easy to do, here is how to : on the one wire sensor you have the sensor wire connected to pin number C1-33 that wire needs to be put now on to pin C1-34 because on the 00 ecu the C1-33 its not used anymore so.... now for the other wire on the 00 knock sensor you have to run a wire from C1-32 on the ecu to the gray wire on the knock sensor.

99 pinout With EGR
C1-32 Ks reference low ( with out EGR ) gray wire.
C1-33 Ks signal ( with egr ) drk blue wire.
C1-34 Ks signal ( with out Egr ) drk blue wire.

00 pinout with out EGR.
C1-32 Ks reference low...... gray wire from the knock sensor
C1-33 Not used.......
C1-34 ks signal...... drk blue wire fron the knock sensor

As for the 02 sensor i have a heated sensor i already had put in my car so i havent messed with that part yet but here are the pinouts for it... its the same for the 99 and the 00

C2-21 O2 sensor 1 low ( tan wire )
C2-22 O2 sensor signal ( purple wire )
C2-23 HO2 sensor 2 low ( tan/white )
C2-24 HO2 sensor 2 signal ( purple/white )

well theres all the info hope this helps you out..
Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
what he says is legit.

OH ANOTHER NOTE GUYS.

THIS REFLASH CAN BE TWEAKED AND TUNED WITH HPTUNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so with hptuners anybody that is looking to make power you can calibrate this programming for big dog injectors.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_turbo View Post
Yes you have to wire the new knock sensor if you have a single wire one but dont worrie is very easy to do, here is how to : on the one wire sensor you have the sensor wire connected to pin number C1-33 that wire needs to be put now on to pin C1-34 because on the 00 ecu the C1-33 its not used anymore so.... now for the other wire on the 00 knock sensor you have to run a wire from C1-32 on the ecu to the gray wire on the knock sensor.

99 pinout With EGR
C1-32 Ks reference low ( with out EGR ) gray wire.
C1-33 Ks signal ( with egr ) drk blue wire.
C1-34 Ks signal ( with out Egr ) drk blue wire.

00 pinout with out EGR.
C1-32 Ks reference low...... gray wire from the knock sensor
C1-33 Not used.......
C1-34 ks signal...... drk blue wire fron the knock sensor

As for the 02 sensor i have a heated sensor i already had put in my car so i havent messed with that part yet but here are the pinouts for it... its the same for the 99 and the 00

C2-21 O2 sensor 1 low ( tan wire )
C2-22 O2 sensor signal ( purple wire )
C2-23 HO2 sensor 2 low ( tan/white )
C2-24 HO2 sensor 2 signal ( purple/white )

well theres all the info hope this helps you out..

on the O2 sensor the factory harness only has the purple wire. so to use the other pins for the upper heated O2 sensor you would need to redo the wiring from the ECU to the O2 sensor otherwise the other wire from the O2 sensor would not be used and i think it uses a different plug. I know the lower O2 is a heated but on 2000 the upper O2 is a 2 wire sensor and 99 is a single wire.

so when you replace the upper O2 sensor did you used heated and if so did you just plug and play it or did you rewire it?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Cliff8928

The second (low reference) wire for the oxygen sensor is already there actually. You just need to locate the splice pack G102 which looks to be near the starter and remove the (only) tan wire and route it to the oxygen sensor. That tan wire goes to connector C2 pin 21 on the PCM of a '99 and '00.

The 2.4 never had a heated oxygen sensor, but if you wanted to add one you would just route the brown wire to pin E9 of the underhood junction block and the black ground wire through the P100 firewall grommet to the splice pack at G203 which is over by the blower motor!

It would probably do fine with the 1 wire sensor for all intents and purposes though.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
GA_turbo
GX Member

My car came with a single wire O2 sensor i wired in my own heated O2 from a GTP 3.8 engine but the sensor from the 00 grand am looks like this

this is what mine looks like now

here is one easy way to install a heated o2 sensor in our cars

http://www.casperselectronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CEI&Product_Co de=103025&Category_Code=

i didnt buy this but if you save the picture and open the pic from your picture file you can enlarge the pic so that you can see what they did to make it work and how you can make your own harness its very easy.

i was trying to find the wireing diagram for the to years but i cant find it now, so i can try to give a more direct wireing spec of it. It shouldnt be that hard to do plus i dont think i will make a difference but dont quote me on that, i really dont know if it will but it shouldnt.

Last edited by GA_turbo : 01-05-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
Oldsman
Owner

So what did you all do to put in the 00 ECU? Just relearn it? When you upgraded the injector di your stock one where they high imp? Did you rewire your knock sensor or due to the fact you have BCm, non egr, high imp injectors it was just a plug and play??????
Old 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #19
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
So what did you all do to put in the 00 ECU? Just relearn it? When you upgraded the injector di your stock one where they high imp? Did you rewire your knock sensor or due to the fact you have BCm, non egr, high imp injectors it was just a plug and play??????

Well it wasnt that hard at all, what i did was remove the old ecu and put the 00 ecu in and relearn it, as for the injectors i already had a set of high impedance injectors in my car cause i bought them that way but my car came with low impedance. i dont know if you know that on a low inpedance system you can run high impedance injectors , but you cant do it the other way around (put lows on a high system even if you change the clips).

OK so then i wired the knock sensor in, wich all i did was tap the ecu as i explined on this page on how to do it, if anybody can wire in a radio they can do this also, is not that hard and for the 02 sensor i already had a heated sensor from a GTP connected in my car so i didnt messed with that.

The BCM is just a plug and play nothing different about the 2 just that one has keyless entry and the other one doesnt, at least my car doesnt have keyless plus thats what it says on the BCM pinouts for the 99 and 00has keyless.

The hardest part was to get the GM tech to do it, i basicly went in there with all the info about what to do including the phone number he had to call 1 800 828 6860, the calibration number and all so it was just a matter from getting the download from GM and flash the ECU. At first they didnt want to do it but lucky me it turned out that i guy that works there went to high school with me, so i got lucky i didnt even knew he worked at that dealer that i went to, he was able to do it him self, anyways after all of this it only cost me 55 dollars for my reflash wich i tought it was a damn good deal and now my car sees boost wich OMG what a difference from how it was tuned before, im verey happy, it runs and drives smooth.

these are the things you will need if your car doesnt have them already:

high impedance injectors, ...........not if you have them already
00 knock sensor, .............some late 99s have these already.
2 bar map sensor from a gtp or the gm 2.4 sensor from the kit
00 2 wire 02 sensor, ...........not if you have it already

Last edited by GA_turbo : 01-12-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Oldsman
Owner

So you had to change the BCM and PCM to 2000

BTW.........thread cleaned and sticky