Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:22 am Post subject: neon lights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have neon light under the car, now I was wondering if they would be ok to leave them on the car, over the winter and just unplug them, or would I have to take them right off? I live in ontario, canada
Old 11-18-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
they will be fine.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
fiestyalerogirl81

just make sure you dont drive thru any snow banks. Or when coming donw a driveway that is on a hill that u dont scrape the bottoms of them.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #4
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
fiesty....do you even have underbodys?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

if you drvie through snow banks youll be fine, the Underbody neons should NOT be the lowest point in the car, and if it is the installer didnnt know wtf he was doin.

They are made to resist certain amounts of pressure put to them. Thats why they have the thick lexan tubing around it
Old 11-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

^exactly^
Old 12-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #7
99Olds

Ya I live in Green Bay and I drive thru snow with my underbodies on and they are fine. No problems yet to speek of. They wont be damaged.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:38 AM   #8
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by fiestyalerogirl81@Nov 21 2003, 02:47 AM
Or when coming donw a driveway that is on a hill that u dont scrape the bottoms of them.
Think you shouldnt do that whether there's snow on the ground or not, fiesty? :thumbsup:

Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

they look better in the snow anyways....last night we had a lot of snow on the ground and turned those suckers on and they glow 2 feet farther. Exspecially blue.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:56 AM   #10
AleroSS

^ While this maybe true, the fact that they hold a neon gas causes them to be more prone to cracking, and "fritzing" out in the cold temperatures.... I would advise not to turn them on in winter...

Old 12-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #11
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

/\ huh?

Sorry if this sounds rude but that makes no sense, if they hold a gas charge (now depending if its neon or led kit) then the gas wouldnt crack, its physically impossible. The led tubes well they might be stiffer but still doubtfull.

Turning them on in winter is fine, its not going to loosen the structure of the tubes any. And if your refering to the outter lexan covering cracking, thats not gonna happen either. They outter lexan is a strong flexible and durable material (ge makes it and i deal with it daily) so the odds of a tube cracking because you turn them on is none to none.

The same rules would apply in winter as summer, just watch for snow banks and make sure they are tightly on there. Majority of the reason tubes crack is becasue some half ass installed them wrong and they fall off and your dragging it. (ive seen it done)
Old 12-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #12
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

neons are no problem in winter...just watch what your fricken doing and if you had a guy down the street named joe put them on get under your car and actually look what he did before you try doing anything with them.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #13
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

neons are no problem in winter...just watch what your fricken doing and if you had a guy down the street named joe put them on get under your car and actually look what he did before you try doing anything with them.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #14
dopey

i love people who have no clue what they are talkin about

Old 12-07-2003, 09:51 PM   #15
fiestyalerogirl81

Quote:
Originally posted by johny_boy32@Nov 25 2003, 03:36 PM
fiesty....do you even have underbodys?
no i dont, but if i did, they probably be scraped or broken from how many times i scraped the bottom pulling out of the driveway. so i have to pull out on angle.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:03 PM   #16
AleroSS

Quote:
Originally posted by Silentalero@Dec 6 2003, 11:37 AM
/\ huh?

Sorry if this sounds rude but that makes no sense, if they hold a gas charge (now depending if its neon or led kit) then the gas wouldnt crack, its physically impossible. The led tubes well they might be stiffer but still doubtfull.

Turning them on in winter is fine, its not going to loosen the structure of the tubes any. And if your refering to the outter lexan covering cracking, thats not gonna happen either. They outter lexan is a strong flexible and durable material (ge makes it and i deal with it daily) so the odds of a tube cracking because you turn them on is none to none.

The same rules would apply in winter as summer, just watch for snow banks and make sure they are tightly on there. Majority of the reason tubes crack is becasue some half ass installed them wrong and they fall off and your dragging it. (ive seen it done)
Lol, I guess I musta been huffin antifreeze when I typed my earlier statement, but what i meant to say was, with the cold temp's when the lites are ignited in VERY cold temperatures, it puts added wear on the bulbs. Also, if you park in a heated garage, the contrast from cold to warm temps or vica versa can also be a factor. Also, our winter's up here are much colder than some people's are used to, and with the temperatures that we get here, the plastic/lexan tends to get much more brittle than say on a summer day, and this can increase the risk of damage....

Old 12-08-2003, 02:47 AM   #17
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
I'm a scientist...

due to the gasses inside the tube and the cold weather the combination of the 2 can and will make the neon tube explode resulting in a nuclear exposion killing everyone withint a 20 mile radius.

just leave them on the freakin car.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:48 AM   #18
dopey

remember children....... in the event of a nuclear explosion .... duck and cover........ duck and cover

Old 12-08-2003, 09:27 AM   #19
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

But my opinion on scraping is the will not break if you acrape a driveway (once again depending on your installer) but for the mostpart you would have to take a erious bunny hill hop to crack em. (haha i did and shattered my front 2 tubes ) but that was off my car going airborn on an very short and stumpy unexpected hill at 30mph, lol

Also with the lexan theyy can resist certain scrapes becasue the tubes are flexible to a certain point. Plus if you have streetglow gold series it has a lifetime guarantee so if you dont break the outter lexan just send it to SG and get a new one
Old 12-09-2003, 12:58 AM   #20
99blackalero

once again fiesty thinks she knows what shes talking about....like silent said, if the neons are the lowest point on your car then someone bunnyed up bigtime

Closed Thread