Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
dschroed
GX Member

dschroed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Guy from Oregon

Hello all,
New to the forums, not to the alero. My first car was a 2003 sedan with the v6. Put a rough 80,000 on her before she finally gave. Just purchased a 99 GLS, and am pretty stoked to start again. Everythings stock, 140000 on the motor. Looking forward to learning and sharing knowledge.
dschroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
1970cs
GX Member

1970cs is on a distinguished road
Welcome to aleromod! Post picture of the ride

Pat
1970cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome! Are you planning anything crazy for it or just general maintenance driver? Either way it's great to see new people here!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the family.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cs View Post
Welcome to aleromod! Post picture of the ride

Pat

This is the only picture I have of her so far. Ill try to catch a couple more tomorrow when the sun comes back out. This is the other night when I got her home. Pretty much a steal for 600 bucks.

Edit: Not sure why the URL failed on this. I just started the photobucket and uploaded, so I know it hasn't been deleted. Any advice on a better photo hosting service?

Last edited by dschroed : 01-20-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
Welcome! Are you planning anything crazy for it or just general maintenance driver? Either way it's great to see new people here!

Oh, I have big hopes and dreams for her. I'll probably get a 3500 swap in the next month or so from MMS; just the stock longblock swap. Eventually I'll probably build the internals and plan for boost. Which means I'll be looking at the f40 swap as well. You guys will see a lot of cosmetic and other mechanical tinkerings from me as well.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
dschroed
GX Member

Thanks for the welcome oldsnut and sleepyalero.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:25 AM   #9
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Welcome,
I wouldnt do a f40 swap, theres no clutches out there for them. Even OEM are rare to find. I would go with the getrag 5 speed or built 4t45e. 3500 swap is a great bang for buck mod, just make sure to get supporting items like downpipe, throttle body.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #10
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01OhioAlero View Post
Welcome,
I wouldnt do a f40 swap, theres no clutches out there for them. Even OEM are rare to find. I would go with the getrag 5 speed or built 4t45e. 3500 swap is a great bang for buck mod, just make sure to get supporting items like downpipe, throttle body.

I would really like a manual. Most of my cars have been manual, the v6 is just a lot of fun to drive, even if it is automatic.
What would it take to swap in the 5 speed? Any links would be appreciated on builds or even just discussions. I imagine mounts, cables, pedal, cylinders, etc?

I plan on running headers, catless down, 2.5" back to a DNX 3" muffler. I had the DNX on my first alero, and I loved the rumble it gave with the v6. And I'll probably order the upgraded throttle body with the motor. Pretty stoked that I'll have money for it as soon as tax returns drop.

Edit: Used the search. Found info here: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ht=getrag+swap

Last edited by dschroed : 01-20-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 AM   #11
dschroed
GX Member

My wife may kill me but i just found another 1999 with a manual transmission for 500 bucks about an hour away from me, running motor, just rough (probably head gasket). Might of just found my donor...
Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #12
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I would double check on the manual part. I found the ad and they have no pictures indicating it to be manual. It would have to be custom for a 99 to be custom because manual wasn't an option in 99.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
01OhioAlero
GX Member

I believe you need the 5 speed cars subframe, then about every other manual part. 5 speed is much easier since it came in some of the cars. HEC is a guy you might want to talk to he just did a 3500+5 speed swap with headers,etc so pretty much your plan. Heres his build thread if your curious. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...ighlight=speed
I have a 3500 but Im auto and on stock tune so its not that much fun, on my tuned grand am the shifting is pretty fun.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
I would double check on the manual part. I found the ad and they have no pictures indicating it to be manual. It would have to be custom for a 99 to be custom because manual wasn't an option in 99.

I will definitely check for that. There's also a lot of spam ads on cl, so that may be the case with this one. I won't bother talking to them til this weekend to find out.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01OhioAlero View Post
I believe you need the 5 speed cars subframe, then about every other manual part. 5 speed is much easier since it came in some of the cars. HEC is a guy you might want to talk to he just did a 3500+5 speed swap with headers,etc so pretty much your plan. Heres his build thread if your curious. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...ighlight=speed
I have a 3500 but Im auto and on stock tune so its not that much fun, on my tuned grand am the shifting is pretty fun.

So it probably is better just to buy a cheap whole car and scrap off of it then to gather parts individually. There's gonna be quite a few free parts in the bazaar for you guys when I get all of this going. You'll just have to pay the shipping.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #16
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
Photobucket is pretty easy to use. To get a pic to show use the "direct" not the html or other options. You can just click on it and it will copy to clipboard, then when you click on the photo icon here, it will want the URL, just press ctrl and V (keyboard shortcut for paste) then submit, all my photo's are hosted from the 'bucket.
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:45 AM   #17
dschroed
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahlzeron View Post
Photobucket is pretty easy to use. To get a pic to show use the "direct" not the html or other options. You can just click on it and it will copy to clipboard, then when you click on the photo icon here, it will want the URL, just press ctrl and V (keyboard shortcut for paste) then submit, all my photo's are hosted from the 'bucket.

Thanks Bahlzeron. I think I figured out what happened. I tried to upload a photo earlier today via the app to try to add in again but they were doing maintenance on their site. I'll try again now.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #18
dschroed
GX Member

Well, I'm now fairly confident photobucket hates me. So screw them and the .99 I paid for no ads. I found another site. Here she is.

She's a pretty 600 buck machine.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:31 AM   #19
01OhioAlero
GX Member

Tinypic is very easy to use and free and clear corners
Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
1970cs
GX Member

1970cs is on a distinguished road
Looks like a smoking deal for $600.00! Heck around here you get a non-running rust bucket for $$$.

Pat
1970cs is offline   Reply With Quote