Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-01-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
midbluealero

I got a 2004 alero with the 3.4l back in February this year and since I got it it had had a shaky idle, it is not smooth and I can feel it go up and down. It isn't that bad, but i like my cars to be smooth it has been annoying me.
I took it to the dealer months ago, they hooked thier computer to it, and couldn't find anything. Their diagnosis was that it was normal for this engine, I am still skeptical. Does anyone else have this issue, or can tell me what to check?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
ShortysTRM

You should try cleaning the Idle Air Control valve and, if possible, your mass air flow sensor. I know that helps a lot on some GM's, my Grand Am V6 included,
Old 12-01-2004, 09:25 PM   #3
bigd6983

where is the IAC located?? and what would you use to clean them both, i just recently cleaned out the throttle body, would i use the same stuff?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
ShortysTRM

Yes, if it's actually made for throttle bodies. Only clean the part that seals off the passage, and don't get the motor wet or push in or pull out on the shaft thingee. If you left it in when you cleaned the TB, you may have damaged the IAC or MAF or gotten them dirtier. Both of them just screw/bolt into the side of your throttle body/MAF housing. Be really careful if you take out your MAF, assuming it is like mine. Just pull it staright out and clean the two tiny metal filaments with a constant spray of TB cleaner.