Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
A/C Help

First question: The low side of the A/C is down behind the Alternator and has a blue cap on it. It that correct?

2nd: My A/C has been taking a very long time to get cool. Yes this is after the car sits in the sun for a long period of time, but it seems to take a little too long. Sometimes it doesn't start getting cool until I get to work and that's about a 20 mintue drive. At night, it's ice cold.

I bought one of those A/C checking kits. The thermo reads about 75* in the vent at full blast. Normal is between 45*-60* and the pressure tester pen reads a little over 65 psi. Now according to the instructions in the kit, 65 is the start of "too much pressure"

I did test it right, a little bit hissed out when I put the tester in the hole.

Is having too much psi making my a/c system not work well

New compressor installed in May 2006

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
USsnipes
GX Member

USsnipes is on a distinguished road
that sucks. my a/c used to take forever to cool down too, but after i got some freon (sp?) in it it was a lot cooler faster. im not sure what could cause that problem. hopefully u get it fixed soon.
USsnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
compressor wearing out, sorry man but the seal arounf the compressor head(the piston that pumps) is leaking around it, maybe you have clogged lines too
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Any idea what was added to the system when it became overcharged?
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
meh, overcharging will kill a compressor
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Yes the low side port is the one with the blue cap behind the alternator.
Too much of a charge will make the system not work right. What I would do is get the A/C system flushed out and refilled. Unless you have a vacuum pump and A/C charging manifolds I would take it to an A/C shop to have it done.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
65 PSI is not necessarily too much. It depends on ambient temperature. The higher the temp, the higher the pressure.

You really need to be able to check BOTH pressures to properly diagnose it.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Car's at the shop right now anyway for the tranny axle seal, I'm going to have him check it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
so if I check my a/c thing, I hook it up to the one with the blue cap behind the alternator?
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote