Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
mlcroy20

Alrighty.. well.. I've been on the boards for quite awhile and I'm done trying to get performance gains out of the 'ho.. so I'm going to try and do some work to get a decent sounding system! Basically I'm just starting out, and then I'm going to add and replace as I get the money!! Below are links to what I've got now...

Where I need help is in picking up an amp that will allow me to power what I have now.. like I said it's not the greatest stuff but it will work and give me something to build on... oh and before anyone says anything... I'm not really sure that I want to get a sub.. I travel alot and need the trunk space...hahaha

Kenwood HU... MP728
Pioneer 6x9s in the back
Phoenix Gold Componets

Thanks for the help on the amp.. and if anyone has any suggestions on where to go with the other stuff let me know... I'm open for ideas!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
jiffy

First thing first, don't buy something just so you can replace it in 2 months. You are wasting your money doing that.

Search the threads for someone who also put those speakers in. I think I remember them saying that it was difficult to get them in. I have read that the Infinity 6000cs (6.5") are just about the only easy fit for our cars. Other than that, go with a 5.25".

As far as a sub goes, a 10" sealed won't take up much room, and amps can be hidden under the seats or between the trunk carpet and the wheel well (thats where mine is going to go).

As far as an amp for those speakers, really what matters is your price range. I got a Profile AP1040 for $117 shipped from www.thezeb.com and that amp will put out 80w RMS x 4, which would suit those speakers.

This hifonics would also be a good match, at $209 + shipping
http://www.thezeb.com/p-Hifonics-ZX6400-Mu...fier-101746.htm
Old 04-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I have to agree. You should try to save and purchase what you want. Otherwise you will tend to spend more in the long run. I am confused. Do you mean that you have already purchased the HU and speakers? If not, you may take into concideration what Jiffy said about going to a 5.25. Otherwise, I would pull off the door and do a test fit before buying the amp. If you can't get the components to fit you may need to re-evaluate your budget for new speakers.
As far as a amplifier goes, at least try to purchase something that will match RMS with your components RMS rating. If you can go larger, then better. This is more true with lower end amplifiers that tend to over rate the product and may have higher distortions. The less you have to push a amp the less distortion that it will displace.
I have used all sorts of brands. I always believed that wattage was wattage untill I bought my first premium amp. A ADS ph60 (?) six channel. I am still kicking my self for selling that thing. The first thing that I noticed was that mids and highs were much more pronounced from what I had been hearing. It wasn't just the added wattage, but how the amp was designed to reproduce certain frequencies. If you are particular about sound, then I strongly suggest you do some history on the amps you intend to purchase. Many mobile magazines rate the amps not only by wattage but how they reproduce frequencies. Some brands tend to produce more lower frequencies but lack in mids and highs. Others may have a harder time with the low ends but excell in the mids and highs. If you can go to a car shop, I suggest testing out some various brands. You may be suprised as to what a good amp will do for the cars sound.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
mlcroy20

Thank you both for the input, it is very useful!

Just to clearify though... I have the speakers already, I'm buying the HU sometime within the next few weeks. The reason I went ahead and got the stuff listed is because I got all 4 speakers for $20.. my dad had them in his GA/GT and it was totaled, he bought a van and bought all new sound equipment (inc a sub..midlife crisis thing..) But, these speakers are maybe 4 months old (at the most) so I couldn't pass it up as a starting point for a decent system!!

Since I'm new to the car audio upgrades.. I'm sure I will be posting more questions as time goes on.. Thank you again for the help!!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
mlcroy20

Just a quick update, installed the Amp and HU today.. WOW what a differance it makes! still learning all the features and fine tuning the HU but it sounds great already!!

One thing that I did notice, a lot of posts on here about loosing the chimes, I installed my Kenwood Excelon and I still have all of the chimes.. I didn't relocate anything or use any kind or wiring harness.. is this normal?? I was actually looking forward to loosing the chimes, they are kind of annoying....
Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

Perfectly normal. You just don't have the annoying GM data bus running through your radio. Consider it a plus.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
If youre still looking at something more than stock speakers check out Rockford Fosgate. High-quality stuff there.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
RAVAGE214

Quote:
Originally posted by eag182@May 16 2005, 10:27 PM
If youre still looking at something more than stock speakers check out Rockford Fosgate. High-quality stuff there.

no doubt about them, they make pretty much the best amps money can buy. Althou a tad on the expensive side. But for big power loads i swear by RF, and RF alone. Can wait for my T20001bd :grin:
Old 05-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
bigd6983

yea there amps are nice but i cant back up there speakers.......the only thing thats sounded nice out of them was their tweeters, thats the only thing ive heard that i have liked.....as far as amps if you got the dough alpine, i havent heard anything bad about kicker......
Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
mikegett
GL Member

I have never been much of a fan of rockford. Older rockford was pretty good but there are alot of other brands that surpass them now. I am not saying they are crap, just that I prefer others. As for the speakers (not subs), I agree with bigd6983. I haven't heard a single pair that sounded good.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 AM   #11
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
how'd you like putting those speakers it??? i have the exact ones, and they are a SWEET speaker for the money, blow away all that alpine crap i listened to in the same price range, but they are a PAIN to fit in our cars, i guess there's some sort of special adapter you defintatly want, that i ddint' get.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #12
mlcroy20

Quote:
how'd you like putting those speakers it??? i have the exact ones, and they are a SWEET speaker for the money, blow away all that alpine crap i listened to in the same price range, but they are a PAIN to fit in our cars, i guess there's some sort of special adapter you defintatly want, that i ddint' get.

They really weren't as hard as I had imagined to install.. I just cut some mounts for them.. the depth is close, very close.. but they fit, I think the most time consuming part was just shaving some of the plastic pieces down (door/window track) to keep them from hitting at anytime... I have realized that I need to get some Dynomat or something for the door.. the damn map pocket rattles really bad when I have it cranked up!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #13
RAVAGE214

Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@May 23 2005, 07:15 PM
yea there amps are nice but i cant back up there speakers.......the only thing thats sounded nice out of them was their tweeters, thats the only thing ive heard that i have liked.....as far as amps if you got the dough alpine, i havent heard anything bad about kicker......

yea i dont think id ever buy RF speakers, oddly enough RF owns or distributes MB Quart, which sound amazing, althou i think all the R&D for MDQ is in house in Germany.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #14
mikegett
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RAVAGE214+May 25 2005, 11:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RAVAGE214 @ May 25 2005, 11:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bigd6983@May 23 2005, 07:15 PM

yea i dont think id ever buy RF speakers, oddly enough RF owns or distributes MB Quart, which sound amazing, althou i think all the R&D for MDQ is in house in Germany.
[/b][/quote]

If you wanted to get picky, there are only half a dozen major speaker manufacturers. Nearly every company out sources there designs to them. There is very little difference in how a speaker is manufactured. You would be suprised to find out how many people have the same woofer and tweets in there car but paid very different prices. The main difference for components is in the crossovers. This is what defines a good set from a poor set.