Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
niral622
GX Member

niral622 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on in a while, but I was trying to install a new head unit today in the Alero and it's TOO DEEP! It's actually another stock GM HU which goes in an SUV, but it has a 5 CD changer and so I figured it'd be an easy install to just swap with the Alero HU (both double DIN). NO! I was wrong, the other HU is deeper by about an inch and so it doesn't fit.

Once I found this out, I decided to cut out the back bracket of the plastic "bucket" that holds the HU to give it a little extra space. Well that worked, for about half an inch. Now the problem is two metal pipes that run through the back. There is some space behind them and so I tried tapping them back with a hammer, but they're very stiff.

Has anyone else had to do any of this to install a HU? If so, how'd you get it to fit? Any idea's would be appreciated (except, buy a new HU, b/c i'm poor right now )
Old 05-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
well first of all... it wont work
that player from the newer gm suv's like our decks are coded to the BCM? i do beleave so your SOL
Go buy a new HU lol or a 6 disk changer with fm modulation

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
niral622
GX Member

but....but....it powered on and everything when i plugged it in
Old 05-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
yea.. i just doubt it'll work... plug it in, and power it up and play some cd's or something.. make sure that it works before you accually hack the dash to make it work

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Sounds like he got lucky. However, you do want to do research on the HU. Ensure that the output is in wattage. GM, Toyota, and many others have HU's that run line level out and some use digital. We use to repair the 6 disk in dash changers for the avalon and they did not have a internal amp. It was all line level lke your rca's. The new toyota and GM navigation units use a digital signal out to the amps. Point here is to be aware that no OEM HU is just interchangeable.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #6
niral622
GX Member

hmm, that's very interesting...i knew some HU's came with pre-outs, but actually i never thought it'd be a problem...i'll check into that and i'll test it to see if it plays CD's and actually works...when I realized it didnt fit, I stopped working with it and put the old one back

Assuming that I did get it to work and everything was OK, what would you guys recommend I do to get it to fit? Has anyone had to do this before? (i've seen someone on here had to hack their dash to get their aftermarket HU to fit, but search just returns errors)
Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The CD6 should work fine as long as it didn't come out of a truck with the BOSE Audiopilot system in it (referred to as the Lux Amp). I don't even know if they offered the CD6 in those, most of them got separate 6-disc changers in the console.

I even got a INR (integrated navigation radio) to function in my Alero, however since i didn't have the stock monsoon system it didn't sound good, but it did function. (that's where my avatar is from, the graphic it displays when you turn the key on)

Most of the other radios that are not navigation work with both amplified and non-amplified systems (they switch internally)
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 AM   #8
niral622
GX Member

Alright, thanks for the replies....

Still not sure how to PHYSICALLY fit it in tho
Anyone have any ideas on that? (remember, the problem is the two heating/cooling pipes that run behind the HU)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
It probably won't. I tried to fit one in an Impala for a friend and it was impossible. You could always do something else like a .mp3 unit out of a cavalier, colorado or something, they don't seem to sell for much (just don't get a pontiac one with red illumination and the tiny screen). Or get an add-on changer for your original. Never really thought about upgrading the radio (except to navigation) having XM and all (you could do that upgrade too, GM does sell a kit)
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
niral622
GX Member

darn....i'll have to look into that then.....thanks for all the help guys
Old 05-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
dt_freak1

ok, ill tell again. when i did my alpine HU i had to take a grinding bit and a power drill and gouge out that stupid piece of plastic that runs vertical on the left side of the dash between the top of the inside of the hu area and the bottom of the inside of the hu area...plus i ground down the very back edges top and bottom so my hu wouldnt get stuck on either AND i also took a file and filed on the side edges of the places where the bolts bolt in to hold the factory or aftermarket HU in place. i did that just so the aftermarket hu n kit would SLIDE in and out easier cuz before it would go in and out but it would be slow and careful goings cuz it would get stuck easily and i didnt wanna crack the mount bracket for the HU. and since i had the stupid databus system called "Class 2" i actually took time to use double sided waterproof tape to stick my GMRC01 box to the lowest part right behind where the dash fits together, also i got all the wiring harness behind the edges that i ground down and ran the wires that actually plug into the GMRC01 stretched fairly tight but loose enough not to tear the wires out the plug down from the top to the gmrc01. if i get down on my knees and look real hard i can barely see the edge of the gmrc01 but that includes tucking my head into the car and getting it right below the steering wheel and far under the dash to see it. i did it that way so it wouldnt be noticable. matter of fact the major point of the install was to keep everything on the inside of the car hidden and not noticable. if i take the facing off my HU you know its aftermarket in there but it looks like it could have been factory installed cuz everything fits perfectly and lines up with no gaps or such. im surprised thieves can even figure out how to get the damned console appart to yank out HUs!!! unless you know what your doing the first time around you feel like a fish outta water.