Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-03-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
cutlass422guy

How do you adjust the engine timing on the 99' 2.4 L engine?
I'd greatly appreciate any help thanks.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:39 AM   #2
misslindseysue

PM overdrive75. He's got the hook up. I don't think you can do it yourself though, and if you do you'll screw up a lot of stuff. Best to have it tuned by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
engine timing is controlled by the computer. you would need the computer reprogrammed. and cam timing doesn't need adjusted, it does nothing good for the motor.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #4
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
actually GMHTP saw some positive results when increasing timing to 32^ BTC. I got the article somewhere around here. They used a hard to find box for the 2.3 to achieve it, though. Other than that fiddiling with the PCM is the only way to adjust timing, short of stand alone managment.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:22 AM   #5
Final-Reality

Increasing the spark timing can be done with, say, an MSD DIS2 or DIS4, and you can increase valve timing with adustable cam sprockets... although I think only mantapart sells those, and maybe only for the 2.3, not the 2.4
Old 12-12-2003, 12:11 AM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
an MSD will not allow you to Advance the ignition timing B/C it receives the trigger from the stock ECU and it can retard the timing by ignoring the trigger for a split second, but cannot add advance b/c it does not have accomidation for a crank/valve positions, thus does not know when the valves are open/closed.

I have not seen a cam sprockets for any quad, but manta may make them (i haven't really looked).
Old 12-15-2003, 05:36 AM   #7
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@Dec 12 2003, 05:11 AM
an MSD will not allow you to Advance the ignition timing B/C it receives the trigger from the stock ECU and it can retard the timing by ignoring the trigger for a split second, but cannot add advance b/c it does not have accomidation for a crank/valve positions, thus does not know when the valves are open/closed.

I have not seen a cam sprockets for any quad, but manta may make them (i haven't really looked).
mantapart does make them, but to adjust them means you take off the timing cover which means. draining the oil pretty much, unless if you can devise a way to just remove half of the cover. :-x