Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
jasonargo
GX Member

jasonargo is on a distinguished road
2002 Alero GX Coupe

Hi, I'm a new 2002 Alero GX owner, and here's my story (Hi Jason!). I went over a curb a few weeks ago with my 2001 Mustang, and the insurance company totalled it instead of repairing it. I really liked that car, but it was time to move on. I'm semi-retired (read: broke) and got less than $4k for the settlement on the Mustang. I'm not a mechanic, so used car shopping needed to include a (paid by me) trip to my mechanic for a check-out.

I drove a couple Monte Carlos that had obvious issues, and took a Grand Am GT to the mechanic with disastrous results (rust, leaks, gas tank hanging by a thread), so I was getting a bit frustrated. I was also finding a lot of folks not willing to let their cars be inspected, which was a deal breaker for me, especially in light of the GA results. And a lot of black cars for sale - who buys black cars in Texas?

I had previously owned a 1988 Grand Am which worked fine until I sunk a lot of bad money into engine replacements, so I knew the Alero was basically an Olds version of the GA. I even drove one during the car shopping I did back when I ended up with the Mustang.

I had spoken with the Alero owner early on, but he was pretty far out of town, which made the mechanic visit an issue. I called him back a week or so later, and it was still available, so I arranged for a drive. It turned out to be a (very) small used-car business. The story on the car was: it was traded in, one owner, great shape. It drove fine, body & interior were very nice, and the engine compartment was immaculate. I was negotiating a non-refundable $100 deposit to take it to the mechanic, but it was late in the day, which meant I would need to come back again the folllowing day early to take it. Plus needing to set up a ride home in case I returned it without buying it. But I had a good feeling about the car, so we worked out a 48-hour return option on a full purchase. I went to the bank, got the cash, & got the car.

I took it to the mechanic the next day, and all they could find was that it could use struts all around, and uneven tire wear indicating front-end alignment. Nothing earth-shattering, so I called the dealer and the deal was done. I think I may have overpaid slightly, but at $2200 plus TTL, I think I did ok. It's higher than KBB private party value, and at the upper end of dealer pricing.

So here's my new baby:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/15510116753/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/15510117003/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95659762@N04/16104037926/in/set-72157649985437325/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

It has the 2.2 Eco-Tec engine, 187,500 miles, auto transmission, and supposedly an after-market exhaust system. I neglected to ask my mechanic about that while it was up on the rack, so no specifics. It has 18" Exel wheels with Yokohama 225/40/R18 tires, one of which has a plug in it. I just filled it up for the 1st time, so I have yet to check out the gas mileage. There is some wear in the back seat carpet, but there are floor mats for all 4 seats. It also has a dash mat in front. Power door locks, but no keyless entry, manual windows, ABS, anti-theft.

Issues:
I can't come up with a value on the wheels. No manufacturer site on the internet that I can find, only that they used to be sold by wheelmax.com, but wheelmax no longer lists the brand on their site. Not a good sign.

When idling in Drive with the brake depressed it has a low-end rumble/vibration, which disappears once you let up on the brake. Ideas?

It's nice to know there's a community to lean on if needed. Thanks for being here, and it's nice to be a member.

-
jasonargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. Pics dont show though. But welcome.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
Here are fixed up links to the pictures:

Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Very clean. Welcome to the site !
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Take off the lame autzone fender vents that someone slapped on and ill like the car alot more. (No offense)

Little headlight cleaning and that car will look pretty darn good.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Take off the lame autzone fender vents that someone slapped on and ill like the car alot more. (No offense)

Little headlight cleaning and that car will look pretty darn good.

I have to agree with sleepy on this one lol. Those vents need to go. Other than that welcome to the site and nice Alero! I've always liked that color on those cars.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
jasonargo
GX Member

jasonargo is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all.

I'm not sure what happened with the pics, the links from Flickr normally work for me on other boards. Muchas gracias Garfield for reposting them for me.

I wondered about those "fender vents", had no idea they were add-ons. It may be gauche but I kinda like 'em.

Another issue, the AVS door visors are hanging on by a thread. I bought some 2-sided foam tape that I hope will fix it up.

Is there any reason to worry about the idle vibration with the brake on, or is that something normal?

-
jasonargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a motor/trans mount could be shot.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
not bad. welcome, happy modding!
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
smccarthy1883
GX Member

smccarthy1883 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. Love the wheels. Let me know if ya wanna sell em.
smccarthy1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 AM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
$2200 for 188k is pretty high up there.

Nice find though.

Welcome to the forum btw.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
- fender vents
- window guards
- front plate holder

+ lowering springs
+ clear headlight corners & polishing up
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote