Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Bumber

A few questions I've thrown around to all the people I know in the city here I now bring the way of you all:

1. Exhaust System: Borla catback is discontinued for the Alero. Can I still find one elsewhere or what is a good alternative - Priority goes to emission control, followed by sound, followed by power. I can't stand tinny/ricey sound. Borla's 3x Dynomax price - is it worthwhile? Considering the following upgrades will I need a 2 1/2" exhaust?

2. Headers: OBX is available and better than pacesetter? Where to find and what's the cost for OBX. My local performance stores never mentioned them.

3. Throttle Body: How badly would a 2.3 HO TB wound my emissions? If I snag it from the wreckers which car model would I ask them for?

4. Underdrive pully: Would I need to raise my idle to keep loads/drags happy - from damaging/wounding/removing lifespan from parts?

5. Whether or not it is a good idea, is it practicaly impossible to put the 3.4 L into my 5spd? Nobody in Canada is willing to consider it. Some think it possible but don't know how or who could. They all think the same about putting a 5spd into the 3.4 L.

6. Other than upgradable parts availability, what are some advantages of the 2.4 over the 3.4?

7. Hoods: Are there light weight hoods available for the Alero (I'm sure I've seen the on somebody's)? (If so, are there any with scoops/intakes?)

8. RamAir: I checked out the GrandAm's RA and think it really SUCKS. 5 horse and torque more than Alero's 3.4 - what's big deal? The hood scoops are plugged and the real scoops looked pretty freakin useless to me - not to mentioned really poorly placed.
- I want to increase my airpressure around my HF K&N CAI (I used Cav Z24's). Who has experience or knows of experience on effective means of building that pressure? ie. putting a plastic tube from the `ground' and aiming it up near the `bottom right' side of the intake and cutting a hole near the middle of the hood (and placing a scoop over it) to add pressure on the opposite (top left corner) side of the intake, thus, theoretically pressurizing (`raming') the intake (with much more pressure (I imagine/hope) than the the GrandAm's).

9. Any guess (educated would be nice; explained would be appreciated) on what the dyno might figure me around after the above changes? (I already have the `standard' `cai').

10. Would I need adjust any of the above (other than your guesses at dyno figures) if I installed a 2.6 L stroker conversion Kit? (And how much would the 2.6 conversion hurt my emissions - I am CANADIAN)?

THANK YOU

PS. I've read every related post I could find - thanks a bunch Aleromod.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #2
Bumber

I pretty much am skipping on the turbos 'cause I wouln't be able to stand the lag.
I'm not about speed but punch and ride. Superchargers I here just require way too much time and effort tweeking.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:43 PM   #3
Bumber

I can't stand spelling mistakes (making them myself that is) - it's "hear", not "here".
Old 01-09-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
1. some places you can still get borla. but having a exhaust shop do 2.25 or 2.5 exhaust with compression bend would work just fine. then get what ever muffler you want.

2. for headers, you have OBX, pacesetter which the only difference is OBX is stainless steel and pacesetter you can get ceramic coated. you can also get RKsport,or stans. but for OBX, go to ebay is the best bet with the best price.

3. the HO TB won't hurt emissions. but to mount it to the stock manifold you have to drill 2 hole. I would recommend the HO TB with the HO manifold.

4. underdrive pulley, unless you are using a massive stereo then you might want to turn up idle but will not hurt anything either way.

5. scratch that one

7. there was C/F hoods made but now it might cost you around a $1000 to have one made.

8. a CAI into the fenderwell like induction dynamics would be just fine. don't need anything more.

9. dyno numbers, well that is a tuff one. probably put you at around 150-160hp to the ground.

10. the stroker kit, you wouldn't have to change anything for N/A. number would be a little higher. but it limits you on using turbo or S/C
Old 01-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
the S/C requires no more time or effort than a turbo to get dialed in. far as lag on the turbo, well with a log maniflod you have less lag.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:42 AM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
none of the things you mention will affect emissions.

I like the borla, but You can also just order up the piping and mandrel bends (2.25") weld em up or a 2.5" crush bent and with a straight through muff you're golden.

Obx is the cheapest from ebay be patiant and search for "cavalier headers" got mine for just over $150 shipped. Best is stan, but you're gonna pay.

ditto oldsman on everything else, but you need to do some mods to the HO manifold including a some TIG welds.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #7
Bumber

Quote:
but you need to do some mods to the HO manifold including a some TIG welds.

thanks Fast E. Would you please send me the details on this or show me where to find them?

Quote:
there was C/F hoods made but now it might cost you around a $1000 to have one made.

Thanks for the input Olds. Would you happen to know the difference in the weights?

Preciate the helps
Old 01-10-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

weight i have no idea. probably a 40 lb weight savings

far as modifying the HO intake here is a link to that info
http://www.ny-jbodies.org/forum/library/Ho...od/2.3homod.htm