Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
about to start my tinting

i was wondering if anybody has any tips/tricks that may be helpful in aiding me in the tinting process haha....it seems that nobody i know that knows how to put tint on has time to help me out so im just gonna go and try it myself....all i know is to spray up the window with solution...put it on and squegee it dry haha....one question though...where does all the solution go that i squegee? especially the back window ....help plz and thank you
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
deathwish666
GL Member

you guys suck

im headed out now to start it ill check back in here every once in a while
Old 10-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Get it done professionally... it's only $125-150, and is guaranteed to last, not turn purple or bubble like 99% of DIY installs. Plus you don't have the hassle.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
yep its gonna bubble and turn purple on you and your not gonna be too happy with it

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
i did my sides myself, it creased in 2 spots on the Passenger Rear vent. (coupe).. this was a yr ago, it hasnt bubbled yet, or started to turn purple.. i just gotta get my rear windshield done
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
mrbucket
GX Member

mrbucket is on a distinguished road
Buy the premium tint and you will avoid the bubbles and purple color change. Use a ton of the solution, A TON!! If you try to apply it to dry it will get crinkles and form bubbles that cant be squeeged out. use a low lint towel to catch the excess solution that comes out from under the tint. spray the window heavily and the tint also. the back window is a bitch hands down and on an alero you will have to cut the tint into strips to prevent bubbles and warps or buy the special made strips for windows with a lot of curve. dont be afraid to get it messy and wet cause if you go lean on the solution it is going to mess up. i recomend practice on something first if that is an option. the solution will usually not stain the interior of your car. after you get done with the doors dont roll down your windows for a week or so to let the tint settle properly or else you will peel it off when you roll your window down. the best bet is to go to auto zone or advance auto and get the kit that comes with the solution spray bottle, razor, squeege, and instructions. if you go cheap you will get crap results.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Mori01
GX Member

Mori01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I say get it professionally done, not too expensive and better results..
Mori01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Or if you're dead set on DIY, at least get the high quality PRE CUT kits available online... don't be hackin up film and trying to get it to lay right.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
I got mines done by a tinter...i suck at tinting BAD
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Pay someone. The back window is stupid hard to get at.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
FrankTheTank
GLS member

FrankTheTank is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm gonna bet that this doesnt go well for the o.p.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
deathwish666
GL Member

okay..here are the details...i got the precut stuff off ebay and i got the kit from advanced auto all last week....i gave up for today and heres why....i did my drivers side back window first...came out okay for my first time except the tint ripped and now theres this really gay spot amongst a bunch of bubbles ...next was the back pass side...turned out great...the next one i picked up was my drivers door....thats when things got bad, it creased from falling off the table which got me frustrated but i decided to give it a shot anyway...it went terrible...it didnt fit right bc it was like 2 inches to big so i got really pissed and crumpled it up and tossed it out haha....but since precision tint on ebay is awesome they give you discounts if you mess up and need to buy more so thats what im going to do....and im just going to wait to do the rear windsheild and pass door till i get my replacements and have my gf's brother do them(he is amazing with tint)....i just hope i can get a hold of him

/end long rant
Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslindseysue View Post
Pay someone. The back window is stupid hard to get at.

lol, i plan on it, im not no expert tinter, but for my first time i did pretty damn good, im just not ballsy enough to do the rear windshield, even if i had help. there is this place near me that will do the rear shield for like 75. so im gonna do that in a month or so
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
FrankTheTank
GLS member

FrankTheTank is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw that one coming.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
dragon8807
GL Member

dragon8807 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dragon8807
the tint will turn purple only if you use household window cleaner to clean you windows because it contains ammonia. when you have to clean tinted windows you must use window cleaner that is safe for tint
05 impreza 2.5rs 5spd - current car
dragon8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tint Works, LLC, and the rest of Google's results
Inexpensive window film consists of polyester film dyed to achieve the desired color and darkness.

The purple appearance is caused when the ultraviolet rays from the sun break down the dyes in poor

quality film. Metalized film costs a little more but the metalized film process deposits aluminum, titanium

or other metals on the polyester to replace the dyes, created on extremely stable products
o rly

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 10-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish666 View Post
okay..here are the details...i got the precut stuff off ebay and i got the kit from advanced auto all last week....i gave up for today and heres why....i did my drivers side back window first...came out okay for my first time except the tint ripped and now theres this really gay spot amongst a bunch of bubbles ...next was the back pass side...turned out great...the next one i picked up was my drivers door....thats when things got bad, it creased from falling off the table which got me frustrated but i decided to give it a shot anyway...it went terrible...it didnt fit right bc it was like 2 inches to big so i got really pissed and crumpled it up and tossed it out haha....but since precision tint on ebay is awesome they give you discounts if you mess up and need to buy more so thats what im going to do....and im just going to wait to do the rear windsheild and pass door till i get my replacements and have my gf's brother do them(he is amazing with tint)....i just hope i can get a hold of him

/end long rant

Brings back memories of when I tried to tint my windows myself...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
itsbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
o rly

Where do you recommend going? I want to get mine done. Know If mickey shorr is any good?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
C_EICK

I would reccomend shopping around town, and find out which shop in your town has been tinting the longest. I got mine tinted at a shop here in town, that has been tinting for 20+ years.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #20
deathwish666
GL Member

i refuse to have someone pay to do it lol...i hate not doing things myself...