Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, my baby, a loaded ruby red '03 GL1 w/ Ectotec/auto, got treaked in the nose by a clown posing as an 18 year old male driver. Took off everything forward of the radiator. Thank goodness all were OK and the Alero is repairable.

I got an '04 Malibu w/ 700 miles on it as a rental car while the Alero is being repaired. Engine is an Ecotec rated at 145 HP @5600 RPM w/ 155 ft-lbs torque at 4000 RPM. I ASSUME the extra 5 HP is due to straighter plumbing in the roomier Malibu.

All I wanna say is that the Malibu, while a lager car, feels a hell of a lot lighter, and the acceleration AND gas milage are, in my mind, a lot better- By comparison, my Alero feels like a slug and gets a consistant measely 21.5 mpg in suburban driving. This is consistant w/ the MPGs see in:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/rev...ex.cfm/id/23309

I'm willing to guess the MPGs on the Malibu were in the high 20s, easy. And as I said, feels a lot faster to boot.

Curb weight Malibu around-3174
Curb weight GL1 Alero 4 door-3021

Alero Tranny- 4T40-E
Malibu Tranny- 4T45-E

All I can say is what the hell?...Wish I had the equipment know how to swap the drivetrains, but the Malibu setup probably would not fit in the Alero...damn...

Any comments or similar experiences welcome.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Final-Reality

The '04 malibu's use the new Epsilon platform, and is supposed to be quite good. It's actually heavier than your car, but likely due to improved suspension geometry and steering, and probably a better damped suspension, it "feels" more nimble.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
havik

The gas milage is estimated at 34 highway & 24 city, which is roughly the same estimation for the Alero (both manual and automatic). Although, these are just estimates.

As for the tranny, a brief look at both shows little difference. However, I am not sure yet about a swap.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
misslindseysue

It's the platform and the new trans cal. The Maxx is even better, as it has a longer wheel base and the cal is the same at the Grand Am GT
Old 07-19-2004, 09:14 PM   #5
overdrive75

The eco tech aleros' and GA's have 3.91 overall final drives, while the Malibu (eco) has a 3.63 overall final drive, that is why fuel econo is better in mali.

As far as performance, the malibu with the eco tech is louder inside, that can lead one to believe it is quicker.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 AM   #6
slalomking
GX Member

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I think tranny guru's comment on the final drive is noteworthy. The Ectotec Alero EPA MPGs are 24/33 and I NEVER see those numbers- I'm WAY below.

I't would be interesting to do timed 0-60 runs on these cars- I think it's more than perception.

The Malibu does have more sound coming into the cabin, but I would like to think I'm savvy enuff to ignore that, and focus on how fast am I actully moving from A to B.

My guess is we are looking at a combo of final drive ratios, better breathing, and perhaps tranny shift calibrations that move the Malibu faster throughout the RPM range. I noticed the air box placement on the Malibu is on the passenger side, somewhat in front of and to the side of the engine and the box was quite large- there was a lot of room forward of the engine that does not exist in the Alero.

The bottom line that concerns us is Alero applications of all this, and my guess is that it would be prohibitively expensive, involving either bucks or in depth DIY tranny work experience.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by overdrive75@Jul 19 2004, 07:14 PM
The eco tech aleros' and GA's have 3.91 overall final drives, while the Malibu (eco) has a 3.63 overall final drive, that is why fuel econo is better in mali.

As far as performance, the malibu with the eco tech is louder inside, that can lead one to believe it is quicker.
You think the guy that works for GM could spell ECOTEC :rolleyes:
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
misslindseysue

Do you know any automotive engineers with good spelling skills? I sure as hell haven't met one yet.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
havik

A lot of people spell ECOTEC wrong, slalomking even spelt it ectotech B)

Anyways, I find it interesting that a 4 banger was offered at all. I thought that V6's dominated this section of the market.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:31 AM   #10
overdrive75

^^ Low cost option for the vehicle.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #11
slalomking
GX Member

ECOTEC ECOTEC ECOTEC. Now that I've spelled it correctly...

Did a measured MPG run on the Malibu- included was a mix of hi speed hiway driving, a traffic jam of a half hour, local road suburban driving, all over 294.3 miles. I flogged the car "A LOT" (it's a rental..)

Trip computer gave an MPG of 24.5. Actual was 24.0 I'm impressed w/ the computer and the MPGs. If I drove it like the Alero (w/ care) I probably would be in the hi 20s.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #12
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
WE have the Ecotec MAlibu's as rentals where I work. They do feel way lighter, but it is just a feeling from the stiff platform and super over boosted steering. I bet the alero would eat it in the 1/4 Mile.
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:28 AM   #13
havik

Quote:
Originally posted by overdrive75@Jul 22 2004, 06:31 AM
^^ Low cost option for the vehicle.
It makes sense but I wonder if it's cost efficient. I always assumed that V6's dominated this market and introducing any 4 banger's would lose more money in the long run than gain. But then it's the Ecotec
Old 07-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #14
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i just like the alero better... dont like the way the 'bu looks
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #15
havik

^ Yeah, Malibu's look like ass, but then again Alero's aren't even made anymore
Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM   #16
Steve03TropicTeal

my buddy has a malibu ecotec'ed out. The different platform is much nicer thant hte alero. and the steering is boosted a lot....

as far as MPG i get about 24-26 city/hiway mix. and about 34-35 when crusiing on the hiway around 60 or 65mph.

if i drive the lero hard i can get it as low as 22. never gotten it lower than that.. never really tried tho
Old 07-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #17
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
I have an Ecotec Alero and mine gets pretty good MPG's. I get like 25 city and 34 Hwy. Once on a trip to the beach, I got 37 MPG. It also does not feel like a slug either. Its beats the crap out of most 4cyl cars I have driven. I think you may have a sensor problem or something for your fuel milage to be that low.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #18
gxryan

Yeah my ecotec 5 spd alero makes 40 pretty constant on the HWY and well i've never made less than 27 but I always have some HWY km's on every tank.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #19
slalomking
GX Member

I think BRsexton may be right...I have long had a nagging feeling for some time that something was wrong right from delivery of the car as new.

Talked w/ the local Olds Service desk...typical replies were....'engine not broken in yet....winter oxygenated fuel....may take up to 10K to get engine broken in well"...blah blah....

Why do the Alero rentals I use with similar mileage (9,000) go faster and get better MPGs then?.....

I gotta figure out a way to get these guys at the dealership to listen to me and starty poking around a little.

Thanks all for your input.. Yes, the Alero's looks (in and out) rule over the dowdy Malibu, but damn my luck to get one saddled with a problem that I am now convinced (after hearing from you guys) really exists.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #20
havik

Good luck with the dealership, I guess I should consider myself lucky since the owner at my dealership is a family friend. Maybe I can ask around for some information as well.