Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-25-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
coredump

I'm looking at getting some new tires in the next short little while and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm leaning more towards all-seasons (I'm cheap and dont want to have to buy new tires in the spring too).

I know there used to be a thread around here somewhere with a ton of links to tire sites but my searches didnt turn it up, or I just missed it. So if anyone has any links that offer reviews and/or good information I'd love to see them.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
koruptid
V.I.P. Member

koruptid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to koruptid
i got sumitomo htr+ and i love em...nice tread pattern and also very deep...paid bout $99 a tire

koruptid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
misslindseysue

Check out the link in my sig to my tires... they're supposedly mud/snow rated, but I don't know if I believe it, 'cause I took them off before it snowed. They were great during the spring/summer/fall though. I suppose they'd be fine in the winter (but I don't know about Canada) if they were on 15's or 16's with a little more flex than mine.

Otherwise: www.tirerack.com or www.discounttire.com is where I would look.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
3.4Alero

I believe the thread you were talking about was a bunch of sites to buy wheels, not tires. I have Yokohama Avid V4's, but they have not gone through snow yet, so I can't help ya there. As misslindseysue said above, go to www.tirerack.com and read up on the reviews of some tires. They have a LOT of reviews, from the people who bought the tires (each tire has its own set of reviews).
Old 11-25-2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
I can also reccomend the Sumitomo HTR+. I have had them on my 18" eagle 077s since March, and these are na HUGE improvement over stock Goodyear RSA's. They are all season, and it snowed pretty bad here in March... the tires were way better than the RSA's in the snow. Plus, they look pretty nice too.

If you use tirerack, please remember to click through the banner at the top of the page! Any order through that banner helps support the site!

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
koruptid
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich@Nov 25 2003, 12:17 PM
I can also reccomend the Sumitomo HTR+
see even the boss agrees with me... they gotta be good right? :thumbsup:
Old 11-25-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
Naich
The Founder

heck yeah, they're good!
Here's a pic from carlisle in may.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:30 PM   #8
koruptid
V.I.P. Member

nick i love those rims more everytime i see em B)
Old 11-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a big fan of BF Goodrich Potenzas. They have stupid road hold!
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:44 PM   #10
havik

http://www.1010tires.com is a decent site too. :thumbsup:
Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 PM   #11
fiestyalerogirl81

i got the goodyear all weather control tires. paid 98 each. Silent said that was way too much. Well If i want safety during the snow, i'm not going cheap! I hear yokoahmas are good.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #12
coredump

Thanks for the sites and the info folks, I really appreciate it.

I've called a couple of places in the last couple of days and 2 of the places I've called recommended the Michellin Hydroedge tires. Judging by the reviews on both tirerack.com and 1010tires.com they look like a decent tire.

Being a tire buying noob is $145 CDN (approx. $110 US) before taxes too much? Both places that recommended the tire were pretty close in price. tirerack.com and 1010tires.com have the tires listed at $105 and $107 which works out close to $140
Old 11-26-2003, 11:57 PM   #13
Naich
The Founder

That sounds about right... My sumitomos were $105 each for 235/40/18, and the hydroedge is a bigger brand name.

Please remember to use the Tirerack link at the top of aleromod.com if you decide to buy from them. I ordered my tires from them, and they provide top-notch service. They even called me before they shipped them to make sure I ordered the correct size... because Aleros don't have 18" wheels stock.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
misslindseysue

I got my tires for $69.50 each, but I have a hook up. Discount Tire wanted to sell me Yokos for $115 each when I bought my wheels. Sounds like your getting a decent deal though. Let us know how they work out if you get them!
Old 11-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #15
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich@Nov 26 2003, 11:57 PM
Please remember to use the Tirerack link at the top of aleromod.com if you decide to buy from them. I ordered my tires from them, and they provide top-notch service. They even called me before they shipped them to make sure I ordered the correct size... because Aleros don't have 18" wheels stock.
unfortunatly its not viable for shipping to Canada, customs and brokerage would cost a fortune.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:44 PM   #16
coredump

Quote:
Originally posted by Molson+Nov 28 2003, 03:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Molson @ Nov 28 2003, 03:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Big Poppa Naich@Nov 26 2003, 11:57 PM
unfortunatly its not viable for shipping to Canada, customs and brokerage would cost a fortune. [/b][/quote]
This is unfortunately what I've been thinking. The customs is killer.

Aside from that, I was working out the cost of the tires plus shipping and it works out to a little more than what I could get them from a local store, without installation, disposal of old tires etc etc.
I'm all for supporting the site but not when its gonna cost me too much extra (Sorry Nick).

I think I'll be calling one of the shops this afternoon to see if I can get the new tires tomorrow.

Again, thanks to everyone who posted some info and gave me some tires to check out as comparisons. I really appreciate it. Especially since I'm not a 'car guy' and dont know much about these things.

Geoff