Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
double din search

Hey all,

Sorry to post a thread that's probably been beaten to death. I went 4 pages deep in this area and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a 2001 Alero gold package sedan with the Monsoon system. I replaced the old 6x9's with some Sound Stream Bi-Amplified 6x9s, The only other mods were 2 12's in an enclosure run by a Kenwood KAC-9105D all running 2 ohms. I was looking to replace the factory head unit. I have been looking thru Crutchfield for a while but most of their head units won't fit.. at least that's what the site says when I put my system in the will if fit in my car guide.

I' am looking for a Double-Din non navigation head unit under $400. The fitment guide on Crutchfield says only some JVC and a couple Kendwoods will fit $149-$249. Can anyone suggest a little higher quality head unit for me that will fit please? the unit will be installed professionally.

As a side not I don't think I can afford a nav unit but if you wanted to suggest one that isn't $900 I would welcome the suggestions. Pic of the Alero below. it's the only picture I have so...

Last edited by negolien : 03-28-2013 at 02:04 PM.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
mfuller

I used a Kenwood DPX-308U in my car.
It doesn't have navigation though; I just use the mapquest app on my iPhone for that.
It's double-DIN.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Thanks I appreciate the help. Is it Crutchfield not putting stereos out specifically for Alero or is it just that they don't actually fit? Meh... after reading some posts I might look to a Single-Din. Not really liking the look of the doubles if they all look bad in the dash.

Last edited by negolien : 03-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
they van be made to fit in there , i had a double din in mine till i switched to a flipout unit

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Here you go sir.

Everything you need and want.

Includes aftermarket head unit, double din kit, and wiring harness

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36811
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
negolien
GL Member

Thanks for the info will check it out.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
DeeJayy
GX Member

DeeJayy is on a distinguished road
If you search on http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ it will save you lotttttsss of time.
DeeJayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
number53alero
GX Member

number53alero is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend a stereo with bluetooth and then using Google maps on your smart phone for Navigation. There's simply no better Navigation app that I've run across.
2004 Final 500 Alero #53
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/718701
1990 Cutlass Ciera Lowrider
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212170
2002 Aurora 4.0L V8
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045018
number53alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
negolien
GL Member

Yup probably gonna go that way. It seems the price break is anything not navigation is a little more affordable and I really don't need navigation. I' am looking at the $450 or less price point I think also. I don't really need bluetooth but I can use it for streaming I guess. Which might save me some cash. Only reason I' am replacing the stock HU is the bottom button broke off lol.

Any opinions on this sony? Has all the stuff I need and not really anything I don't.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...WX-GT90BT.html

Last edited by negolien : 03-29-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
Here you go sir.

Everything you need and want.

Includes aftermarket head unit, double din kit, and wiring harness

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36811

LOL That's single DIN though. He wants one with a touch screen.

Personally, I would go with a JVC. They're very user friendly and android friendly as well.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
negolien
GL Member

Never fails.. everytime a thread pops up someones trying to sell me their stuff lol. Happened to me when I was looking at Subs too.

I like the DD but most of em don't fit to well. The Single Dins do seem like more bang for the buck though. I also have to account for my 2 amps so need some rear outputs. Don't really need Blue tooth to be honest it would be purely for Streaming audio since I don't have many Cell calls. Being their not a huge differance over the stock Monsoon Audio I'll keep looking maybe I'll get luck and find something nice on sale.

What's the scoop on Alpine they still a good brand? I saw both a dd and some SD's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited by negolien : 03-30-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Bluetooth can also help you stream your stuff without the AUX or USB wire. It's really convenient. Some phones/radios even allow you to be on youtube or Pandora through bluetooth.

I personally think the problem is that these stores don't know our cars. Personally, I would measure the area in the radio cubby, and match those measurements with those of the radios for sale.

As far as Alpine, they stopped being excellent in the mid 2000's. Now they're mediocre. I'm sorry, but for the best bang for the buck, it goes to JVC or Sony. Sometimes Pioneer, but some of their DD radios can be cumbersome. Personally, most of their radios have cumbersome menus.

Also, that Alpine doesn't fit your criteria. It only has one set of RCA outputs. You should at least look for a radio with 2 sets. I'm not sure if you have 2 amps for subs or one amp for a sub and one amp for speakers, but you're better off for 2 sets. Plus, it would be overrated. The best Alpines, IMO were made before 2008. Everything after that went downhill. It's sad, but I have an Alpine radio in my Cutlass from the year 2000 that has more power and more sound options than a modern day top end radio. It also has AUX capability.... so sad.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm going to post 2 links to 2 radios I would consider in your price range.

Also, one thing to consider is RMS power. A radio rarely puts out its max power constantly. This is where Alpine fails. Alpine radios can put out 50 watts max, but their RMS is usually 18. A JVC/Kenwood (they're owned by the same company now) usually has 50 watts max, and can do 20-22 RMS, depending on the model.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C-KW-AV60.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...od-DDX370.html

In today's world, JVC/Kenwood is more of an audio enthusiast brand, considering the bang for the buck. It's just more user friendly. It's also compatible with iphones AND Android phones, something most radios are not. That's also another thing I hate about Alpine. If you connect your android phone, it sees it as a mass usb storage device, and it will only allow you to read 100 songs per folder (usually what happens to me on Alpine HU). Pioneer's way of reading it is screwy (it goes by date added, not by filename) and Sony cuts off how much it reads at a random number.

I don't know what phone you have but it's always good to have a versitile radio whenever spending more than $100, and JVC/Kenwood does that IMO.

But it's all opinion, keep looking if you so wish, but consider the specs of the radios on my links.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
negolien
GL Member

Thanks for the advice I' am still looking. Cash is kind of tight atm so getting my ducks in a row before I buy something. I usually am a tightwad so.. lol. I did see Crutchfield ad with 2 DD one JVC for 200 bucks off and one Sony $100 off. I like the price on the jvc.

I had some work done by Neil at rolling Audio in roseville. I also had fry's install my subs, amps and Clifford Matrix alarm. They did a surprisingly good job to be honest lol. I' am going to use one of them to install my deck. If I look at buying one somewhere else I probably will have Neil buy it and install it. Maybe he can get a good deal. If I see Fry's has a good deal I'll have them install it. Probably best to have them do it really since they did the other installs and will know how to easily add the HU to the 2 amps and stuff.

Here's the JVC
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105NSX1...7#overview-tab

Here's the sony
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105NSX1...7#overview-tab

Last edited by negolien : 04-07-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
Nas Escobar
GLS member

You should use ebay to your advantage. Sometimes radios can be had at wholesale price (brand new) on there. I know I've gotten good stuff from that site.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
negolien
GL Member

Yup thanks I agree. I tend to take my time when buying things so will do. Only way to get a decent price on stuff now is to shop around on the ole internet before deciding on anything. I did that when I got my Clifford Matrix and my subs and amp. Got both on sale and had Fry's do the install too. They did an awesome job to be honest. I was quite impressed with the quality of the install.

We just got a new Civic and I did a months worth of research before getting the new car. I looked at several differant makes and models before settling on the Civic. Never thought we would be able to afford a new Honda to be honest lol. I think because the 2012 got panned people were reluctant to get a Civic. We got the 2013 EX in Crimson Pearl for $18,100 including the wheel locks, mud guards, trunk tray, $790 destination charge + tax and license. The paint was unexpected though. Truly awesome paint with flakes in it. If anyones seen it up close ya know what I mean. We didn't get the Nav package or leather though. It cost over $1,000 more for either:<(...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
negolien
GL Member

I did some side by side comparisons and came up with these 2. Everything else was basically more $$$, fluff and not needed. Honestly I think I' am leaning more towards the single din now. The only differance I see is the preamp voltage which favors the Single din.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAH...T.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWHR...84#details-tab
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
negolien
GL Member

Saw a sale today on Amazon for this double din. Seems to be a really good deal Crutchfield and Fry's both have for $499. It's on amazon for $300 and free shipping. Think this is the deal my scrooge side has been waiting for?

I've narrowed my needs list to
HD radio
High preamp voltage
Subwoofer preamp
I wanted a usb on front but I guess i can use a rear one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=1-1
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #18
Nas Escobar
GLS member

You could just run a cable then hide it somewhere... just saying.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #19
negolien
GL Member

What on earth are you talking about lol.