Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
Fabian_7s
GX Member

Fabian_7s is on a distinguished road
New here!

Hey everyone i been following this forum for a few months now and just recently I finally got around to signing up! I've never signed up for a forum before so even though i been browsing for a while I'm still new to this lol

I got a 2004 alero GL1 v6 last year in february with 114k miles on it it's my first car and honestly it's one of the best cars i ever been in

It drives good but just recently i was on the free way and for some reason it felt like it was losing power alot. The engine was running fine it wasn't a misfire or anything but it felt like I had to push the gas pedal almost all the way down just to keep it at 70.
I don't have too much experience with cars but i was hoping someone on here might be able to help
Fabian_7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Clogged cat, fuel filter? When was your last tune up?
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Was it a one time occurrence or becoming continual? Could have been a really strong head wind, a bad tank of gas, or one of the items listed above... pretty sure a clogged cat would through a code though... not sure though!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome!!

Might also be a MAF, IAC or TPS although those should throw a code. Wouldn't hurt cleaning the MAF and IAC though.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Fabian_7s
GX Member

I've checked the codes and none are popping up :/ i've recently replaced alot of things like the air filter and sparkplugs. This was just the first time on my way home i was just driving like 30 miles on the free way.

I think the fuel pump might need to be changed already though because I'm starting to notice the cars been having trouble starting up. I have to crank it for like 4 or 5 seconds with the pedal pushed half way down just for it to start up
Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Welcome. Looks like you've already got some help with your problem. You chose the right forum to join, Ive been some others for different cars ive owned and this is by far the best community. happy alero owning
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Lets see some pic!
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #10
Schendel76
GX Member

Schendel76 is on a distinguished road
If its starting hard like that...95 % chance its a bad fuel pressure regulator. Pretty easy to change on the 3400's. Good way to check is to turn the key to on and then pull the vacuum line off your regulator. If you see fuel in the line or smells like gas, the regulator is bad. It's on the top of your engine on the fuel rail. Would change the fuel filter while you were at it. Work at a garage in MN and change a lot of fuel pumps due to clogged fuel filters.
Schendel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Fabian_7s
GX Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'll definately change the fuel filter soon!! heres a pic of the car i took it with my phone so it's not the best pic but i'll take a better one soon when i get the chance!

Last edited by Fabian_7s : 05-19-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Usually if it take a min to start its the starter not the fuel pump. I just replaced my fuel pump and every once in awhile it will take a second to start. Other times it fires right up.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Fabian_7s
GX Member

I know this thread is old but i just wanted to give an update on the car! Lol
I just finally got around to buying a new fuel filter for my car and installed it and now it starts right as soon as i turn the key!

But as soon as it started idling i saw that the rpm stayed at around 700 or 800 and once every now and then it would drop to 500 or so and then go back up to about 700! This never happened with the old filter tho? I double checked to make sure the filter isn't leaking or anything and everything seems fine
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Hmm sounds like a Maf or Iac. I would clean the maf with some maf cleaner and see if that helps.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
Fabian_7s
GX Member

I drove it around a bit and now the rpm is actually pretty stable when idling and everything seems fine! although i think i still might spray some maf cleaner just in case anyways one of these days when i get a chance but thanks for the help!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
don't hold the pedal and start the car lol that won't help anything, it's not the 1970s

clogged cat could've been what you were experiencing and no it may not immediately display any codes. mine didn't when it clogged back in the day.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
don't hold the pedal and start the car lol that won't help anything, it's not the 1970s

clogged cat could've been what you were experiencing and no it may not immediately display any codes. mine didn't when it clogged back in the day.

I've noticed that only helps when the car wants to die since it makes the computer increase the fuel delivery to compensate for the air coming in. Other than that, if the car doesn't want to start pumping the gas pedal does squat.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote