Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
gxryan

So I saw that on the side of a pontiac persuit.

has anyone actually driven one to see if it's just BS.
OR what did they accually do the the motor tog et that extra 5HP or is that just a big joke like the grand am GT's having 5HP more then the 3400 Alero and Grand Am SE
Old 05-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Its 5 more hp. Different intake/exhaust/ECU
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
It must have Nawwws for a 5 hp gain

Or maybe just differant head? cam work? or yea.. exhaust, intake, fuel map, hell when gm tested the stock eco 2.2 with just less restrictave intake and open exhaust and a retune it made like... 170hp? imagine with cams, header, intake, TB, and other stuff.. that would be radd

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
FantomForceCustoms02
GL Member

FantomForceCustoms02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FantomForceCustoms02
I always thought the Ecotec had 145 hp, not 140. O well I made up for it with my intake and exhaust.

Quote:
Originally posted by BLK03GXS@May 25 2005, 07:15 PM
It must have Nawwws for a 5 hp gain

Or maybe just differant head? cam work? or yea.. exhaust, intake, fuel map, hell when gm tested the stock eco 2.2 with just less restrictave intake and open exhaust and a retune it made like... 170hp? imagine with cams, header, intake, TB, and other stuff.. that would be radd

I wish I could get my ecotec could put out that much power. Might have to skip my interior project to do engine work now that I'm learning it has more potential.
http://www.myspace.com/fantomforce
FantomForceCustoms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
gxryan

Oh definately the Ecotec has huge potential

just look at what GM did to get it up to like
what 300HP without internal engine mods

which is very impressive,
but i guess they are engineers so that helps.

But what I don't get is why?
why just add 5HP to it?
like i'm sure it would cost GM like 200 dollars a piece to make all of them like 155 or 160 HP each by just putting a nice exaust and intake on it.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
Alero04

"radd"...lol i thought no one said that anymore BLK03GXS
Old 05-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
b-spot
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by gxryan@May 26 2005, 12:59 AM
But what I don't get is why?
why just add 5HP to it?
like i'm sure it would cost GM like 200 dollars a piece to make all of them like 155 or 160 HP each by just putting a nice exaust and intake on it.

I think its more of a case of "well with the intake that fits this engine bay and the exhaust that we are using for these we happen to get 145 hp".

Sometimes too if the competition is at 143, they'll go to 145 so they can say "most standard hp in its class"

Old 05-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Silverknight

the cobalt and pursuit are jokes, I have one now and it's uber slow, even with the extra 5 hp... I raced an elantra of my friends and I just barely beat it ..(maybe a car length) I am not very impressed. But on the other hand, it does get good gas milage.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 AM   #9
AleroSS

you have to consider what sorta shift in their sales would be expected when their lower end compacts with the ecotec were out powering their full size vehicles, or subcompacts. Its not always just what they CAN do and SHOULD do, its also a matter of how to retain their competitive stance (or should I say GAIN) with the rest of the market.

Also, just to be a rooster for details, the breaking point on the ecotec's internals was 283 CHP give or take a pony. Dont get HP @ the crank confused. ALSO, im curious as to whether GM tested their engine when it was attaining such high numbers under load for any extreme amounts of time, because if the components BROKE at 283 doesnt mean the engine was able to handle running all day at 280 CHP. Its kinda like the electronics involved with an Amp. Theirs a difference between PEAK and RMS, Im wondering what the ecotec's tolerable power limit was (just like RMS)
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
b-spot
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverknight@May 26 2005, 01:39 PM
the cobalt and pursuit are jokes, I have one now and it's uber slow, even with the extra 5 hp... I raced an elantra of my friends and I just barely beat it ..(maybe a car length) I am not very impressed. But on the other hand, it does get good gas milage.

They are just as fast as your 2.4L alero was stock..

Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #11
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Quote:
Originally posted by b-spot+May 27 2005, 11:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(b-spot @ May 27 2005, 11:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Silverknight@May 26 2005, 01:39 PM

[/b][/quote]

Thats true, my bro had a 2.2 eco cavy and they both where about the same acceleration he had a 5 speed and my Alero was a Auto.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
gxryan

lol yeah 283... 300 yeah either way...

oh I'm sure at 300HP it couldent hold up long. definately wouldent run to 80,000km's to outlast the warranty.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
BLK03GXS
GLS member

But if you put in forged pistons and rods, you can make 370hp on stock head/cam/headder

But the engine gets "really pissed off"

Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by Vtolds+May 27 2005, 11:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vtolds @ May 27 2005, 11:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by b-spot@May 27 2005, 11:14 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Silverknight
Quote:
@May 26 2005, 01:39 PM
the cobalt and pursuit are jokes, I have one now and it's uber slow, even with the extra 5 hp... I raced an elantra of my friends and I just barely beat it ..(maybe a car length)Â;-) I am not very impressed.Â;-) But on the other hand, it does get good gas milage.

Thats true, my bro had a 2.2 eco cavy and they both where about the same acceleration he had a 5 speed and my Alero was a Auto.
[/b][/quote]

i haven't seen a 2.2 cavy keep up to me yet...or the Z24 for that matter...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #15
Silverknight

Quote:
Originally posted by b-spot+May 27 2005, 03:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(b-spot @ May 27 2005, 03:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Silverknight@May 26 2005, 01:39 PM
the cobalt and pursuit are jokes, I have one now and it's uber slow, even with the extra 5 hp... I raced an elantra of my friends and I just barely beat it ..(maybe a car length)Â;-) I am not very impressed.Â;-) But on the other hand, it does get good gas milage.

[/b][/quote]

Actually my Alero was 5 spd. My cobalt is auto. that makes a huge difference. My Alero would walk all over the cobalt.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:54 AM   #16
AleroSS

For 50 bux outta your wallet and 15 minutes of your time, an Auto alero can become as fast as a stick alero of the same engine (track proven). The answer? B&M Shiftplus.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #17
Silverknight

Quote:
Originally posted by AleroSS@Jun 5 2005, 10:54 AM
For 50 bux outta your wallet and 15 minutes of your time, an Auto alero can become as fast as a stick alero of the same engine (track proven). The answer? B&M Shiftplus.

I call BS. I want prooooooof :hide:

How fast have you run? Do you have a time slip showing me that a car that runs 16.4-6s stock with an auto 2.4 can improve by almost a second in the 1/4 mile to run a 15.5-8 with just a chip?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #18
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverknight+Jun 6 2005, 05:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silverknight @ Jun 6 2005, 05:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-AleroSS@Jun 5 2005, 10:54 AM

I call BS. I want prooooooof :hide:

How fast have you run? Do you have a time slip showing me that a car that runs 16.4-6s stock with an auto 2.4 can improve by almost a second in the 1/4 mile to run a 15.5-8 with just a chip?
[/b][/quote]
I agree time slips before and after please

Old 06-11-2005, 07:47 AM   #19
AleroSS

First off, if my turbo wasnt being put on AS WE SPEAK, I would gladly get you timeslips to prove this. Secondly, the car that Im using as a comparision would be the '02 (eco L61) GX AT and the '03 (eco L61) GX MT. The stock time for the L61 GX AT alero would be roughly 16.7 bone stock, while the MT should pull a low if not flat 16, but I cant see it being deep in the 15's at all. Also, unfourtunately, for us folks in Manitoba, our track is being re-surfaced, so the track will be closed till late July, however feel free to surf on over to Jbody.org and read the claims and praise that people have for their B&M Shiftplus. Not only will it increase line pressure, which strengthens and protects the tranny when used properly, you will also experience MUCH quicker shifts, and full throttle shifts as well. Im always skeptical of such claims without trackslips to prove it, but dont take my word on the unit, do some research on Jbody.org to back up my claim. Also, one may have to factor in the capabilities of different drivers when it comes to the MT driver, but I know from numerous races with one good friend of mine that the results before and after the B&M were NITE and DAY. Call me a ricer, call me a bullpoopter, but take the two seconds outta your day to look into it. I will GLADLY state that it was the best $50 (cdn I'll have you know :P) that I ever spent on the alero.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 AM   #20
Silverknight

I still don't believe that with just a shift kit an auto tranny in an Alero, with any motor or any type of tranny will even touch my time slip of 15.73 with no mods and 5 spd tranny. However u make a good argument. so we can agree to disagree