Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Thewolf
GX Member

Thewolf is on a distinguished road
Coolant Flush?

I'm thinking of doing a radiator flush on my 2000 3400 alero, but I can't seem to locate the drain plug on the rad. Does anybody have any idea of where it's located?

Also I was talking to a mechanic and his opinion is that if I change the coolant from dex-cool (red) to prestone (green) I would have problems with the LIM gasket. Did anybody have that problem before or perhaps going though the same right now?

Looking forward for any advice

Thank you
Thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
hotrodwolf
GX Member

hotrodwolf is on a distinguished road
Lower intake gaskets are one of the most common problems with the 3.4. But, now it is found to be partially caused by the dexcool. I would Flush it and change the coolant over. How many miles are on your car? If around 100000 or more, you may want to get the new style intake gaskets anyway.(as yours will probably fail soon.) But no, I put new gaskets in now, and only use standard coolant. Its been good for 60000 miles so far.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Thewolf
GX Member

Thanks for the help. My car has around 250,XXX km's which is around 155,XXX miles. So it'll be better off to put the metal LIM gaskets.

I want to do the flush by myself. How do I drain the old coolant? and is it worth it doing it myself?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
FlyingSpoon
GX Member

FlyingSpoon is on a distinguished road
As far as I know not all alero`s have a drain plug on the rad. if it does it should be on the drivers side at the bottom of the rad, a white valve with a alen key hole to open it. if you dont have a drain valve then you will need to disconnect the hose and drain it that way.

Now I plan on flushing my coolant tomorrow or on Saturday, so if you need help let me know. Also might be a good idea to remove the overflow tank onces it`s empty, and clean it right out
FlyingSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Thewolf
GX Member

I do have a white drain plug on my rad.

Wouldn't it be better to flush it out from the bottom hose? Because this coolant never got flushed since the car was built. But the thing is that the bottom hose is in a weird angle, and trying to fit a tool in there is a PITA.

Last edited by Thewolf : 10-21-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i just removed the hose that goes from the tank to the bottom of radiator. but i plan on changing my coolant from dexcool to something else.

but idk what else i can use that will be okay.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
The drain plug is there, but if you just turn it nothing will likely happen. You have to turn it, AND pull it out.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
i tore the shit out of my drain plug. it was realy soft and crappy.

so i bought this which was way better
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
FlyingSpoon
GX Member

yeah the stock ones are crappy, I busted one in half last week. where you get that new one? definitely be handy.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
lord2heart
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolf View Post
Thanks for the help. My car has around 250,XXX km's which is around 155,XXX miles. So it'll be better off to put the metal LIM gaskets.

I want to do the flush by myself. How do I drain the old coolant? and is it worth it doing it myself?

everything is worth doing it yourself long your able to do it. you'l gain the experiences and knowledge from it. thing is figuring out how to dispose of the used coolent
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
lord2heart
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpoon View Post
yeah the stock ones are crappy, I busted one in half last week. where you get that new one? definitely be handy.

you could order it from the website i linked or go to some local parts store like, napa? autozone? etc..
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
FlyingSpoon
GX Member

The local dump takes any used oil/coolant for free here.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord2heart View Post
i tore the shit out of my drain plug. it was realy soft and crappy.

so i bought this which was way better

Yeah, but those "Help" items are crap too. I would have gone to the dealer.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
i just removed the hose that goes from the tank to the bottom of radiator. but i plan on changing my coolant from dexcool to something else.

but idk what else i can use that will be okay.

I think by removing the hose will be better because of flushing the system for the first time. By removing the drain plug won't get out the junk from in there.

Oh, you can use the Prestone coolant that comes in the yellow bottle. I think it's one of the best.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
lord2heart
GL Member

Quote:
I think by removing the hose will be better because of flushing the system for the first time. By removing the drain plug won't get out the junk from in there.

Oh, you can use the Prestone coolant that comes in the yellow bottle. I think it's one of the best.

unless you know that theres gunk in there and its impeding the cooling system then go ahead. otherwise i'd just drain it from the plug. you do know how to do a flush right? just checking
Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
Pacho

there are 2 drain plugs on the block itself, one right next to the oil filter and one on the back of the block below the exhaust manifold more towards the right side if standing in front of the car. 14 mm bolt for the front and back and use teflon tape when putting it back in. the front 14 mm bolt you can use a 10" extension + ratchet and take the undercover off of the car (the cover below the oil filter) and you have easy access to it. The back one is a pita and will require some ingenuity on your part.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:

Really depends upon what you see when you watch it drain.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
lord2heart
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacho View Post
there are 2 drain plugs on the block itself, one right next to the oil filter and one on the back of the block below the exhaust manifold more towards the right side if standing in front of the car. 14 mm bolt for the front and back and use teflon tape when putting it back in. the front 14 mm bolt you can use a 10" extension + ratchet and take the undercover off of the car (the cover below the oil filter) and you have easy access to it. The back one is a pita and will require some ingenuity on your part.

that true for the LD9?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #19
Thewolf
GX Member

Thanks for your reply's. I do know how to do a coolant flush but it's just that I want to know which is the most effective way to drain all the old coolant from my engine and radiator. I'm guessing that I'll pull the drain plug from the rad and the front drain plug from the block. So I could get all the coolant out.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #20
lord2heart
GL Member

well, way i did it. pull the drain plug, have the garden hose running. start car, turn heater on. continue till all coolent is out while in the same time constantly filling it with water. turn engine off once you only see water coming out. shut hose off. let all water drain. plug it up, fill the system up with the appropriate mixture of water/coolant. burp the system of to get air bubbles out while still keeping the level up