Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
greg_gorrell
GX Member

greg_gorrell is on a distinguished road
Quality System Suggestions

Hey Guys, Im redoing my audio in my 4-door V6 and could use some input. Im working on my center bezel right now, lowering the HVAC controls to put in a 7" Lilliput below my headunit. I currently have some 2-way Pioneer Premier 4x6s in the doors, JL 3-way 6x9s in the back, and a Kicker L7 10" Solobaric powered by a JL 500/1v2 amp. I just bought 2 2-ohm 15" L7s and plan on hooking two JL 1000/1 amps together. Also lately I have been becoming more concerned about my sound quality. I dont think 4x6s are the way to go the for my doors. I thought I was getting some good quality speakers with the Pioneer Premiers but have realized that either you just cant get load, clear, crisp sound from 4x6s or all of Pioneer stuff is garbage. I like JL, they always back up their products, even when out of warrenty, and its good quality. I noticed they started making these 4" speakers in a 4x6 Plate, JL Audio TR400-CXi. Anyone know if its a good idea to switch to these or a 4" speaker for the front if I want loud and crisp? Or should I go with the 5 and whatever inch components for the doors. I dont wanna have to mod the door panels or put in kick panels unless I can find them cheap since, well, they are kick panels and get kicked haha. I just want the mids and highs to keep up with the lows Ill be pushing with the two 15s. I wanna get all the speaker wiring and whatnot done before I go on with the carputer install. Any suggestions from well experienced audiophiles is appreciated. Im not looking for cheap junk either, I want this to sound as good as I can, tho Im not a big fan of Kicker stuff (good deal on the two subs).
greg_gorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Also am looking into these, only a few reviews online that I could find but they seem to be a very good speaker: Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp. The only thing Im not digging is that they are 2-ohm, tho the JL amps are stable from 1-4 ohms if needed.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
you should be able to fit 5.25" in the door w/ some speaker adapters. defintely the way to go.

get a decent set of components, so you have good tweeters too.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
greg_gorrell
GX Member

I dont think so man.. You could be right but I just dont see how a 5.25" fits into a 4x6 oval without some modding.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
I didnt read the first post. To much of a blob.

For our cars you either drop 4x6s right in the stock spot OR you make your own baffles.

Take your pick.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
and if your afraid of the 5.25" magnet not fitting.. there are a few companies that make speakers with neodynium magnets (much smaller magnet, but same power)
Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
i've got 5.25" speakers in my doors... just used the adapter plates and worked perfectly. kicker components... sound pretty decent... nice and clear

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
I didnt read the first post. To much of a blob.

For our cars you either drop 4x6s right in the stock spot OR you make your own baffles.

Take your pick.

yea sorry about that.. that was this morning at work after 10 hours, was getting kind of tired. but yeah, i guess ill order some components.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i have focal 6.5s attached to the backside of my door panel and i don't have any magnet issues.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
ryanJ
GX Member

ryanJ is on a distinguished road
do u have an amp hooked up tp those pioneer speakers, if not they will sound terrible.
ryanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_gorrell View Post
Anyone know if its a good idea to switch to these or a 4" speaker for the front if I want loud and crisp? .

I switched to 4" diamond d3 in the front and it sounded a hell of lot better than the 4x6 i had in there previously memphis m-class
wrestlingandrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
greg_gorrell
GX Member

6.5s, huh? If I can get them in there I will buy those, Im gonna go with the JL C5-525s if not. I also can post some pics and whatnot for the bezel if anyone is interesting in putting in a screen. Its my first time messing with plastics so Im taking my time and learning new ways of doing it as I go, Im sure it would be a help to someone else trying to do this.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Ended up ordering a set of the diamond d652s the other night. Seem to be better soudning than the JLs
Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
which pioneers are they i might be interested in picking them up off you, if they havent been abused
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #15
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
which pioneers are they i might be interested in picking them up off you, if they havent been abused

not quite sure on the exact model of them as im at work right now but if i still have the box i can let you know tomorrow. if not ill pry be yanking them out monday or tuesday and ill let you know. and no they arent abused, they just suck. haha honestly i thought maybe they might have some decent high end speakers but i gotta say they belong at walmart with the low end pioneers and sony xplode stuff. you still want them, shoot me an email like tuesday and ill give you the specifics.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
greg_gorrell
GX Member

I got my components installed over the weekend and im pushing them with a JL 300/4. They sound amazing, I highly recommend the Diamonds if anyone is going with 5.25s. Havent used the amp in awhile and its in protect mode which im guessing is a blown transistor. Anyone here ever mess with the JL amps and have an idea of what transistors they use before I rip it apart and try to decypher the numbers?