Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
zlj1989
GX Member

zlj1989 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zlj1989 Send a message via MSN to zlj1989
New Stereo DIY

Hey everyone. It's been a bad past month for me because my aftermarket stereo was stolen a couple of weeks ago. Worst day of my life! I put the OEM radio back in but I'm just going insane without the kick of my subwoofers. I will be buying a new stereo ASAP but I have decided to put it in myself hoping I can save a few bucks. I've never done this before, so I am asking a little help from you guys. I have two main questions. Can I just buy a harness that goes from the OEM hookup to the aftermarket radio or do I have to do some type of wiring? My other question is a little more difficult. My last radio I had could barely receive any radio stations. I made a post about it a while back but really didn't get any help. The OEM radio receives stations fine but any aftermarket one I had in my Alero barely got any reception. What do I have to buy or do to get my stations. If it's a wiring thing, I would like a step-by-step procedure please and if it's a thing I have to buy, a link to a site where I can buy one would be nice. Thanks everyone for your patience and time. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.
zlj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
jyst buy an aftermarket deck... tou'll be much happoer with the stuff in the end... it makes speakers dound os much netter... just trust me dude,, but an aftermarked deck!

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
For installation, just buy the wiring harness, and installation will be a snap. As for the radio stations, you have to connect the aftermaket stereo's remote wire to the aftermarket wiring harness's power antenna wire.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
zlj1989
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
As for the radio stations, you have to connect the aftermaket stereo's remote wire to the aftermarket wiring harness's power antenna wire.

Any way you could illustrate the correct wires? I'm new to the whole DIY stereo installation part (especially with the wires). I get all the other stuff I need and know how to do it but I'm just confused as to which specific wires I need to hookup.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
zlj1989: Any way you could illustrate the correct wires? I'm new to the whole DIY stereo installation part (especially with the wires). I get all the other stuff I need and know how to do it but I'm just confused as to which specific wires I need to hookup.

First off, what year is your Alero and what harness are you getting? (chime or non chime) If you buy the one you need for your car, you just need to connect the wires from the aftermarket harness, to the wires from the aftermarket stereo. The instructions will tell you which ones.
One thing that is very important though, which a lot of people forget, is to connect the antenna wire. There is going to be a wire on the aftermarket harness that says power antenna. You need to make sure you connect that wire, to the remote wire that comes from the aftermarket HU. If you don't do this, your radio will not get any stations.
For now, just get the harness and the head unit. If after seeing them both, you still have questions, go ahead and ask. After seeing the instructions though, everything should be pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Valley olds : 06-27-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
www.the12volt.com
Old 06-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
zlj1989
GX Member

Quote:
First off, what year is your Alero and what harness are you getting? (chime or non chime) If you buy the one you need for your car, you just need to connect the wires from the aftermarket harness, to the wires from the aftermarket stereo. The instructions will tell you which ones.
=

I have a 1999 Alero GL sedan. 3400 V6 if you need to know. I'm not sure what type of harness I'm going to get since I didn't know there was a difference haha.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
zlj1989: I have a 1999 Alero GL sedan. 3400 V6 if you need to know. I'm not sure what type of harness I'm going to get since I didn't know there was a difference haha.

Youll be okay with the regular harness.
The reason I had asked about the year is that later Aleros use the harness with the chimes (around $40), and if you dont get the one with the chimes you need to get one from a saturn or something. Since you have a 99, you don't need to worry about this though.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
zlj1989
GX Member

Quote:
There is going to be a wire on the aftermarket harness that says power antenna. You need to make sure you connect that wire, to the remote wire that comes from the aftermarket HU. If you don't do this, your radio will not get any stations.

OK, got the stereo today but have one final question. The "system remote control" wire (that's what it's called) that comes from the head unit, is that the wire that goes to the "power antenna" wire and the wire that goes to the subwoofer amp to turn it on and off? If it's not then there is no other wires to connect the power antenna to. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by zlj1989 : 07-02-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
zlj1989: OK, got the stereo today but have one final question. The "system remote control" wire (that's what it's called) that comes from the head unit, is that the wire that goes to the "power antenna" wire and the wire that goes to the subwoofer amp to turn it on and off? If it's not then there is no other wires to connect the power antenna to. Thanks for all your help!

You got it. That's pretty much it. Also, don't forget the antenna cable that you plug into the head unit. I don't know if you already have that adapter for this, but if you don't, you may need one (I'm not sure if it varies from year to year).
Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
itsbmw

Last edited by itsbmw : 01-04-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
itsbmw: I taught you well grasshopper

yeah listen to valley olds, I can swear he's the one I walked through this.

Thank you sensei
Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
zlj1989
GX Member

Yes thanks to everyone for all of your help! Installation went fairly easy. The only thing is that the stock radio is still a little better at picking up radio stations. I can pick them up, just not as good as the stock radio did. Oh well, I usually just plug in my iPod into it anyways haha. My new radio is a Pioneer Premier DEH-P310UB and I like it very much!

Check the system out!