Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
wilypueo
GX Member

wilypueo is on a distinguished road
Talking Just another freaking n00b, needing the same old freaking stereo advice

So I have done some extensive browsing through the Audio, Video & Security threads, and I am trying to decide on what option to take on replacing my stock stereo system.

Option 1: Just replace the head unit. The key feature I am looking for is USB connectivity--I want to play my tunes off a thumb drive or possibly a USB harddrive located in the glove compartment or in a cubby space below a single-DIN unit. The head units I am looking at right now are the JVC Arsenal KD-A605 and Alpine iDA-X200, which cost virtually the same. If anyone has either of these specific units, would love to see your opinion on it. I'd go up to around $300 bucks for a head unit if I came across one I think I'll like significantly more than those two I listed, which are each priced at Crutchfield for $150 shipped. The Alpine iDA-X305 seemed pretty tempting, but Crutchfield shows it as not a fit (they reliable about fit info?).

Option 2: Replace the head unit and front speakers. This is where I run into difficulties--so much to choose from. I'd prefer to get component 5 1/4 speakers instead of just plopping in new 4x6s, but it depends on what my installer (a trusted friend of a trusted friend) is willing to do and how much he is willing to do it at). The choice that seems to stick out for the fronts is a set of JL Audio VR525-CSi--the tweeters are 3/4 inch and I'm hoping they can be swapped in for the stock tweeters without any headache? These are listed at $300 shipped at Crutchfield, so right at the price range I'm considering for the fronts.

Option 3: Replace the head unit and all 6 speakers and add an amplifier. I am not looking for a lot of boom boom, just power enough to run all my speakers cleanly--I definitely don't want to get anywhere near the sort of power consumption that would necessitate upgrading my alternator or other stock power system gear. So still looking at the same head unit and fronts. For the rear deck I was thinking of something a little different--what about a pair of these subwoofers: Kicker CompVT 08CVT654? I just want something to fill out the low end and I really don't want to get into building an enclosure, etc, etc, to drop a subwoofer in the trunk. Really, not sure on the amplifier, but something modest like the Alpine MRP-F300 would seem about right to drive both the fronts and rear subwoofers I am looking at--though right at the bottom range to drive the Kickers, not sure how problematic that is.

If I go with option 3, I'd be trying to keep my equipment costs to ~1,000 with hopefully install costs ~200. A lot depends on what the installer has to stay to me about all this, but if there are any bonehead things in my run through above, would appreciate them being pointed out. Any specific recommendations are welcome, as well. Looking for clarity over pure power. The installer does have access to Alpine and Kenwood equipment if I go through him, so I should be able to get good prices if I decide on any components from them. Oh, if guru Ryan is around and inclined to give me some advice, I'd be particularly grateful.

Mahalo!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
ok.

if your going to do it.. do it right. go option 3. A decent 4 channel amp can handle all your speakers. Get component speakers upfront (speaker/tweeter/xover combo) and the backs can be upgraded, or left alone. they don't do much. You can add subs later, if you want some thump to the system.

as for quality of stuff.. i'd pm RyanFromOhio. He gives exceptional advice, might be able to sell you some stuff at a decent price (he can get his hands on some stuff) and has been in the "biz" for a while. So he knows more then any of us.

Do it right the first time, and you'll save tons more in the long run. trust me.. i've redone mine like... 4x now.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Willy,
If you are just looking for clarity over power, upgrading your stock system IS ENOUGH!!! By this I mean, upgrade the headunit, 4x6 front speakers, and the rear 6x9's. This ALONE will provide the clarity you are looking for. If you want the boom along with the clarity then you are looking at something kid of like my setup. I have a 400 watt amp running ONLY my front 4x6's and my rear JVC 6x9's. I also have the JVC headunit (along with my iPod int he glove compartment). I also have 2 12" JVC subwoofers in the trunk, powered by a 900 watt amp.

If you were to upgrade and want opinions. QUIT GOING THROUGH CRUTCHFIELD! There are cheaper places that carry the same exact stuff. Try onlinecarstereo.com or hifisoundconnection.com, also look on amazon and ebay.
Also by installing this equipment yourself you gain knowledge, have fun, and save MORE than 3-400 dollars. I would suggest this as you would be able to drop the same kind of money on shipping and handling charges. LOL

Also, if you get the chance to talk to Ryan; ask him to build you a box for the subwoofers. I am in current talks with him for him to build me one. I trust the guy and am willing to help him out because he know his shit and isn't just trying to make money off people.
-Smurf-

P.S.
The JVC Aresenal headunit is NO better than the other JVC headunits. I would only go Arsenal if you want the amps or subs. And DAMN those subs are sexy!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
PappaSmurf: P.S. The JVC Aresenal headunit is NO better than the other JVC headunits.

I dont really know much about car audio, but I think Arsenal head units have a 2 year warranty while regular JVC's got a 1 year. I dont really know though, maybe they are just selling the warranty?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Valley,
You are correct. It is only the warranty that is different. If you send you headunit in for warranty service then you are ALREADY in the wrong. They make you pay shipping and handling fees while they "look" at your radio. I find that it would just be easier to repace the headunit with another. I have had the same headunit for almost three years now and in two different cars. This thing has been through hell and back and still works with no problems since the day I FIRST put it in. JVC is known for their quality, at least in my book.
-Smurf-
Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
I just installed a JVC Arsenal KD-A605 a couple days ago. So far it's been great, and I immediately noticed an improvement in sound quality. You get a lot of features for the price.

Here it is installed:

Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
PappaSmurf: Valley,
You are correct. It is only the warranty that is different. If you send you headunit in for warranty service then you are ALREADY in the wrong. They make you pay shipping and handling fees while they "look" at your radio. I find that it would just be easier to repace the headunit with another. I have had the same headunit for almost three years now and in two different cars. This thing has been through hell and back and still works with no problems since the day I FIRST put it in. JVC is known for their quality, at least in my book.
-Smurf-

Hopefully Ill be as lucky as you with my HU. It does sound like a lot of stuff to go through for just a warranty.
As for JVC quality, I dont know why I used to look down at JVC (I was young and didnt know anything), but after getting my HU, I would recommend it to anyone. Now I look down at pioneer. Everyone I know who gets pioneers, usually has the same problem of cd's not coming out after a while.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
wilypueo
GX Member

@cherrington17: Yeah, leaning to what you suggest. If the majority (or Ryan) seems to think the Kicker subs in the rear deck would be a waste of cash, probably just concentrate on replacing the deck and the fronts.

@PappaSmurf: Yeah, been using Crutchfield to browse about, will shop around when I got a firm idea on what components I am buying. I want to go to 5 1/4 in the front since the consensus around here is that makes a significant difference over the 4x6 ovals.

@Atmosphere: That head unit install looks real nice. Just on looks, I like the JVC unit better than the Alpine, but my installer has access to Alpine and Kenwood equipment. He'll install whatever I provide, but if I go with Alpine and/or Kenwood components I will have less hassles if there is an issue.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Atmosphere
GL Member

I'd go with what you like the most, not with what will be the easiest. I'm not trying to convince you to buy the same one I did, but if you really do like it more, go for it.

Head units are generally pretty easy to install, you just have to take your time and make sure you understand what you're doing and you'll end up with some very professional looking work.

Last edited by Atmosphere : 07-13-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
wilypueo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
I'd go with what you like the most, not with what will be the easiest.

Head units are generally pretty easy to install, you just have to take your time and make sure you understand what you're doing and you'll end up with some very professional looking work.

Yeah, the specs seem pretty equal, but the display on the JVC is definitely nicer.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Wily,
I agree that 5 1/4" front speakers probably would sound better, yet I have most of my music coming from the rear speakers anyhow as if I were to leave it centered it sounds like I only have front speakers. If you listen to my car now, it sounds like the music is coming from the middle of the car. I am replacing my fronts with 4x6's just for the clarity (and because I blew the stock ones) LOL. And yes they are going to be JVC.
-Smurf-
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Atmosphere
GL Member

Smurf, do you have any pictures of your all-JVC setup? I'm interested in going the same route.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ok...

If your car has a factory amp you are screwed. If it doesnt, then you are lucky.

With the factory amp, if you replace the HU nothing will sound "right".

You will want to upgrade all speakers you intend to use and run new wiring to said speakers, effectively bypassing the stock speaker wires.

JVC makes good head units. Ive been running them non stop for years now. All started with my SH55 which was a 24 bit processing and I havent looked back since. There is a difference between them Smurf. Some are 24 Bit Burr-Brown processors, some are "24 bit resolution"- the later is lesser quality.

As for your setup to the OP. Its all about budget and what matters MOST to you. The bottom line is the front speakers play a VITAL role in car audio. YOu could replace them with a decent set of speakers and leave the rears OUT of the car. Run a 4 channel amp- the front section to the fronts. The rear of the amp to a sub. This will provide ultimate bang for the buck and overall best SQ in its range.

Thats my advice.

Pour the money into the front stage. It pays off every time you listen to the radio.

If you are going to replace the speakers you are silly not to run an amp.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
wilypueo
GX Member

Thanks for the reply Ryan--I am pretty sure I don't have the factory amp, but will double check when I get the car back from the shop and its LIMG/water pump repair (I did see on the equipment list in the trunk I have the UQ2 designation, but I failed to check for the box).

I was thinking of putting 6.5 Kicker subs into the rear deck in place of the stock 6x9 rears. This is the idea I am stuck on at the moment--whether to just forget about the subs (at this point, I don't want to bother unless there is a decent pair of subs I can fit into the stock rear deck enclosures) and bump up what I am willing to pay for the fronts a couple hundred bucks along with a (very) modest amp. Speaker suggestions would be really useful (there are just so many 5 1/4 options)--up to around 300 bucks if I get the Kicker subs or possibly up to 500 bucks if I forgo them.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
Atmosphere
GL Member

Ryan, how does the stock amp affect things? I have the Monsoon amp in my trunk and haven't had any issues with the old or new head unit.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ive always had bad luck with factory amps.

Things are just never the same. Considering they use high level inputs for signal. The levels output by the new HU are well over the stock, therefore more distortion is a real issue.

I wouldnt waste time with subs in the rear deck of the car.

If you want to go with subs Tang Band makes two different 6x9 subwoofers. Please note someone got them and they wouldnt directly fit into our plastic adapters- so some slight modification necessary.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-864
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-864s.pdf

Heres a good amp then that will power thos rears correctly, now to find some fronts:

http://americanbassusa.com/front/sho...aspx?fileid=81

I could do these for a decent price:
http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/ck...-pr-16176.html

Outside of that a nice set budget to work within. Just beware, if you state $600 Im going to look for the best ones AT 600$

You could get both subs, an amp, speakers and wiring kit for around $500 or so. Just ball parking it.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
wilypueo
GX Member

Thanks again Ryan. I am at work (you know sort of) and will go through those links later tonight and send you a PM after. I am now shaking off the need for subwoofers--I took a look at the higher end Alpine speakers, and their range to the low end seem good enough I won't miss having a sub much if at all.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #18
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Atmo,
I do have some pics if you look through my post NEWBies Mods thread, I will take more pics later, however I am not pulling the rear deck out just to get a picture of the JVC 6x9's, just trust me I have them. LOL

Wily,
I told you to trust the man, you were looking to spend 1000 dollars to get stuff and have it installed, Ryan just cut that price in half. LOL
-Smurf-
Old 07-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #19
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
crutchfield has some decent blow out type deals and shipping is free out to hawaii. i got some nice infinitys from them.

don't bother upgrading the back speakers, they don't make much of a diff.

where does your installer work at? i'm on oahu

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
wilypueo
GX Member

@Atmosphere: Can you tell me how easy it is to navigate a USB drive on the JVC Arsenal KD-A605?

@darkobsession: He works or used to work at Security and Sound (my friend worked with him there). He does installs as a side job now, so not sure if he is still actively with them or not.

Interesting fact, about one block up the street from me is another Alero coupe owner. Don't know the owner, but I think it is the same year or within a year of my 2000 model (I noticed it around the time I bought mine).