Fi-Alero is on a distinguished road
58hz in an s10? Try higher. Lots higher
Fi-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #22
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
ill see if my tint shop has a meter while its getting tinted, i doubt ill be competitive with you guys though
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #23
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
156.1db in 2002 with 2 12 inch audiobahn ( when they were actualy good) and the audiobahn hcx2300 at 1ohm stereo, slot ported box tuned at 42hz then made a new box tune at 32hz and got a 152 just about all the time playing 36 to 38 hz notes. USAC meter.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #24
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontunderestimate10s View Post
we would just make a normal slot ported box except there really isnt enough room to face 4 woofers across and a port. we were considering using port tubes bc thats easy to tune, but cant really fit any decent size. considering experimenting with triangle shaped ports, were not sure how the triangular shape will effect the bass waves tho. allowing them to open up and what not. if anyone has any input im always open to ideas!!

actually i just made a box for 15s with the triangular ports and i have to admit DAMN they are loud, i was thinking the same thing about the port but then i thought bazooka made some box with 3 ports on it and it sound it pretty desent so, since i was working with literally no room for the box and wanting to make the subs be as loud as posible i just desided ( trial and error ) why not, the end result amazed me. All i can say is that if you are working in a tight spot they are definatly the way to go cause you can either just put one port or you can put 4 of them. The only tricky part for me was the lenght of the port. I got some pics of it ill try posting later for ya.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #25
GA_turbo
GX Member

Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #26
dontunderestimate10s
GX Member

dontunderestimate10s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_turbo View Post
156.1db in 2002 with 2 12 inch audiobahn ( when they were actualy good) and the audiobahn hcx2300 at 1ohm stereo, slot ported box tuned at 42hz then made a new box tune at 32hz and got a 152 just about all the time playing 36 to 38 hz notes. USAC meter.

i thought the world trunk record was set by chris fish at 153db. whats your 4ohm rating?
dontunderestimate10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #27
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Quote:
156.1db in 2002 with 2 12 inch audiobahn ( when they were actualy good) and the audiobahn hcx2300 at 1ohm stereo,
Those numbers have got to be in the port. No way you were that loud in the trunk with a pair of audiobahns metering forward of the B pillar.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #28
dontunderestimate10s
GX Member

dontunderestimate10s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi-Alero View Post
Those numbers have got to be in the port. No way you were that loud in the trunk with a pair of audiobahns metering forward of the B pillar.

agreed. (not tryin to call you out, but it took two 15s and 10000 watt amp to do a 153 in a civic and i beleive he set a world record of some kind a few months ago. chris fish from colorado.) if it was a usaci comp they keep yearly records of all events. he can check n see what it was
dontunderestimate10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #29
Fi-Alero
GL Member

I held the USACI trunk class world record for a bit.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #30
DougEFresh3031
GX Member

DougEFresh3031 is on a distinguished road
143.3dB

3400 V6 Alero= 2 alpine type x subs, 2 alpine m1000 amps, borla exhaust, s&s headers, venom 400, CAI,.....

F*CK HONDAS
DougEFresh3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #31
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Somebody give me Cliff Notes on how these competitions are conducted, meaning where is the mic placed, in the car or out, standard distance from the speaker, what is the max # of drivers allowed, etc.

I used to custom-build home speakers as a job years ago and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make them loud, but some of the numbers I am seeing in this thread don't seem to jive with the laws of physics.
You are measuring bass output for some certain frequencies, including the sub-bass?

I have had some good luck with passive radiator systems, but never done one in a car. Are they allowed?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #32
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
From what i've seen, most comps meter at the windshield, car closed (doors/windows) mic inside.

but the different comps have different rules, different ways of testing.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #33
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Somebody give me Cliff Notes on how these competitions are conducted, meaning where is the mic placed, in the car or out, standard distance from the speaker, what is the max # of drivers allowed, etc.
This depends on the organization that you are competing in and the class. In USACI, if you are in any class except port wars, the mic can be anywhere in front of the B-pillar. There are no max amount of drivers as long as you are not in streetbeat.

Quote:
I used to custom-build home speakers as a job years ago and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make them loud, but some of the numbers I am seeing in this thread don't seem to jive with the laws of physics.
You are measuring bass output for some certain frequencies, including the sub-bass?
Home audio and car audio are two completely different animals.
The Term-lab measures in DBC, I think you are thinking DBA.
Quote:
I have had some good luck with passive radiator systems, but never done one in a car. Are they allowed?
They are allowed, but not used at all in SPL.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #34
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi-Alero View Post

i didnt belive it either but thats what i got the score wasnt meter at the port, it got meter by USAC, i dont remember what meter they had, sad part is that that day i got beat by a 156.2 from a guy with a Kicker L7 15 in a lebaron sub facing front, so i got second place that day. Still not very happy about that but what can you do.

Back in the day i was easy to get high numbers and for the most part still is but people now a days dont really know how to set the systems right, i always see comps people doing 133db to 138db and think that thats loud LOL. I got out of competing cause it got borring to me and plus i was always in the top 3 not to sound roostery but i wasnt fun for me.

To me i wasnt how loud my car was but how can i beat my competitor with barely any equiptment, I got more joy from seeing their face all pissed that they spent tons of money and they got beat by an amature with alot of knoledge LOL.
Short story i started doing car audio since i was in the 4th grade, my dad got me into it and ever since then its been in my blood. One of the things i learned the most was frequency waves and acoustics. Once i tackel that down it was on from there, my first comp ever i got first place with no sweat.
I had 2 15inch single 4ohm pyramid super pro in a sealed box at 2.0cf per sub, crunch 300 watt 2 channel, hot shots crossover, 4ga power kit, an aiwa tape deck (LOL i know) stock interior speakers running of the deck. I hit a 142.4db and all of this cost me no more than 600 dollars. I beat a guy running top of the line rockford puch power, he had 4 12 punch power in the trunk and i think like an amp per sub i dont remember and he only did 140db after 5 trys, later he came to me and asked me how much money i had in my system, so i told him and he was not too happy about that because he said that he spent over 6000 dollars in his setup LOL thats sucks, i got to admit tho it looked nice thats about it.
I have alot of tricks up my sleave when it comes to car audio.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
GA_turbo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontunderestimate10s View Post
i thought the world trunk record was set by chris fish at 153db. whats your 4ohm rating?

Dual 2ohm per sub, its posted right on the pargraph ( AT one ohm stereo ) next to the amplifier.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #36
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Ah, you were competing back in 2002. That's when USACI used the AC meter. Subtract about 10db and thats about what you would have done on the TL.

I agree, it is fun beating your competition with smaller and cheaper stuff. Me doing 150s in the trunk with 2 10s blows peoples minds lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #37
GA_turbo
GX Member

^^^ hell yeah, ive seen 4 8s do 154db
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #38
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_turbo View Post
I hit a 142.4db and all of this cost me no more than 600 dollars.

Haha i love that! My uncle gave me two 15's from the early 1990's. I bridged them to two ohms on a Visonik amplifier i picked up from ebay for $34.00. I picked my box up at a swap meet for $45.00. (I talked him down from $80.00) And bought a $30.00 4ga. InstallBay wiring kit from Chinatown, when our wrestling team went to New York for a wrestling tournament, i needed a souvanier. A Kenwood KDC-MP538U head unit from ebay for $110.00. Oh, and a $49.00 Power Acoustic 5.0 farad capacitor. So in total, it cost me $268.00 plus some odd pennies here and there for everything brand new(aside from the 15yr old subs) , to hit 141.5 dBs on the TermLab!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #39
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Just giving a score and equipment doesn't really tell me anything. The vehicle is where it all comes down to. Trunk cars are some of the hardest vehicles to get loud. Small extended cab trucks and hatchbacks are some of the easiest.

I've seen a pair of 8s do a 177.6db. Know why? He was in a CRX that was completely concreted inside.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #40
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
so it was a pretty rock hard sound?
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote