Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
FartCannonAlero

hey guys i just went down to best buy and bought a couple Infinity 9612i Reference Series 6x9's..

i was gonna get Pioneer but they didnt sound worth a damn, and then the guy pointed out the Kenwoods, but id have to wait a week or more for them to order them. and they sounded pretty good...but these infinitys were way better and for 15 bucks more i took em

anyone like or dislike this brand?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
I had those back when I ran rear fill - very decent mid level coax... sitting on the floor in my dad's shop right now.

Infinity makes decent stuff all the way around.

~vR
Old 06-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
FartCannonAlero

did you have any problems with them at all?

and would you recommend getting a small amp ?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The infinity reference is a very nice coaxial. They always had a good natural sound to the highs opposed to being overbearing or weak. Your stock speakers can't handle the higher wattage but are more sensitive. Meaning that they will sound louder and cleaner with your HU power at near full volume. Running your coaxial off the HU will result in a speaker requiring more wattage than the HU can provide. This means that in order to get the same volume you will need to increase the HU past the volume range of your OEM speakers. Unfortunately, this will max out the HU and result in clipping. You have a few options. The front speakers can be amped while your infinity is left on the HU. Since rear is more for mid bass and slight fill, you can set the front gains to max out at 3/4 volume and prevent your rears from reaching clipping. Or you could place a small amp on your rear fill only. In this case, I would suggest crossing it over for low pass only and use the infinity for midbass. Otherwise, you could amp all four channels. This is my own preferance. Even your facotry speakers will sound better with more wattage.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
FartCannonAlero

i already have that stock amp in the trunk..i know most people are saying that its trash, but would that be good enough?

what size amp would you recommend as well?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Your stock amp is only going to produce 25 watts rms on the 6x9. Not much more than a aftermarket HU these days. Your 6x9 is bi-amped, so the mid and tweets are powered off one channel and the woofer is powered off another. If you do want all frequencies, they you will have to take the power from your hu (prior to the amp) to the 6x9. If you just want the low frequencies then use the woofers channel from the amp. It will already be low passed on the frequencies.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
FartCannonAlero

ok, i ran speaker wire from the deck all the way to the 6x9's but there is really no bass at all, in the store they were thumpin pretty darn good..so im guessing im gonna have to get more power to them or leave them as they are, cause the vocals are much much clearer, and then have the subs run the bass alone..

would a 250w Rockford amp be good enough?