Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
AXLE
GX Member

AXLE is on a distinguished road
Car stalls

2001 3.4 stalled as soon as I started it this afternoon, morning start up was normal. Motor was completly cold. I tossed it in nuetral and gave it some gas at stops to get it home, seems to drive just fine, all normal, just stalls at idle. And had to crack the throttle to start it. No codes were set I checked with my scanner, no mil lite is on. Do you think the cat is clogged?
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
check for vacume leaks

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
could also be a malfunctioning idle control valve. usually if its a vac leak you will have a high idle. if its a bad enough leak to cause stalling then you probably have a bad running engine all the time.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
AXLE
GX Member

Thanks for tghe replies. Would the IAC set a code and a MIL light? The car has neither of those. Is there a test I can us on the IAC?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
it could set a mil light if it was unplugged or a circuit problem. but when they gum up they get slow and i have yet to see a light set for THAT reason. when the car is cold does it idle high like it should? if it idles low all the time then that could be a sign of a stuck iac valve.

if it idles fine some times, and other times it doesnt, find the time that it will idle and thne unplug the iac. this will cause the valve to stay where it is. which means it should now idle at the speed you unplugged it at all the time.

lastly, remove the valve and clean it, if wash and soaked mine a few times in carb cleaner (followed emeditly by a bath of wd-40). that helped but what really did the trick was putting it on our special tool that commanded the valve open and closed. working it helped free the crap up inside and its been good ever since.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

also to awnser your cat question. typical symptoms of a pluged cat is lack of power up hill, bad fuel economy, poor running experience too.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
AXLE
GX Member

a.graham52.... You nailed it dude! I replaced the IAC and Vroom, problem solved! Thanks very much! IOU a Grande el Beero!