Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Sobear FC3S

Alright, here goes the story..

In the near future, okay, maybe not-so-near future, I'm going to be putting a 3400 V6 in my girlfriend's base-model 2002 Cavalier. Fun stuff, I know, but I've done the research, except for one thing.. transmission. Does the V6 Alero come with an automatic tranny? Here's is an automatic Cavy, and she refuses, under NO circumstance, can I change to a manual. Trust me, I've tried convincing. A lot. So, if so, can the tranny withstand 300 or so horsepower? I have plans for a custom turbo build, and she wants the car to be fast, but likes the automatic for trips and stuff. Since my car is a standard, she wants to keep hers the same.. grrr. And does anyone know of an automatic tranny that can take the kind of abuse I plan on putting it through?

Thanks a ton guys.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
bigd6983

I heard the 4t45(auto) can handle up to 300 horses....and it only comes with an automatic......so you can take it from there.....
Old 05-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Sobear FC3S

And I take it the 4t45 is the stock Alero tranny? Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:15 AM   #4
StealthAlero

Ohh you poor poor man. You have a great thing right under your nose and you don't even know it.

First for straight line REAL racing, Auto is key.
Second, ECOTECs are awesome, they can be pumped way........ up.
Third, the ecotec is already in nine different model cars, thats saying something right there. Very well built engine that can withhold high amounts of power and they're tons of parts are out there. Nelson Hoyos is making over 1000hp. and mr. lingenfelters was way above that, @6.99 as there baseline quartermile time with the ecotec. Yeah crazy..... I know you wont be going this high, but you can easily get in the 500-600 range with very little money. Believe me, I've done all the research, was thinking about making this my next car.

Don't swap engines, you'd be crazy to do such a thing. Especially swapping transmissions. Your girlfriend picked out the perfect project automobile, this car can do wonders, believe me.....

http://www.summitracing.com/motorsports/te...t_02lingbio.htm
http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2002/drive...ngenfelter.html

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/cavalier_nhra.asp
http://www.dreamcargarage.com/question_of_...0220&kw=answers
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5482
Old 05-20-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Sobear FC3S

Well, without trying to sound roostery.. I know that. :thumbsup:

BUT! The basemodel 2.2l engine in her car ISN'T Ecotec. Trust me, I dug around, and once I found out, I was highly disappointed, and almost gave up hope. This was when I found the 3400 engine-swap availability. I was originally just going to build up her puny little engine, but this swap was just to irrestible.

And trust me, I'm sure she wishes she either got the Z24 that her dad talked her out of, or at least an Ecotec-powered Cavi.

I do appreciate the help, though.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
If your gunna mess around and swapp a v6 into a cavy... stop the bunnyin around with the 3.4... allthou its a good motor... the 3.8 would be a better swap
Guy on jbody did it, he go's by raven, 3.8s/c outta a gtp into a 95 (i think it was 95) cavvy... with a 5spd...
*droooool*
that would be ultimite sleeper.... lol

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
Sobear FC3S

I suppose that would be nice. But I refuse to put a supercharged engine in any engine bay of a car I drive around. <_< Sorry, but I'm either all-motor or turbo. No NOS, no Sc's. But thanks for the tip!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
Steve03TropicTeal

S/C are rice.. but Turbos are not??

So the Monte Carlo SS S/C is Rice?

and the Grand Pric GTP?

And the bonneville SSEi?

And the Regal GS??
Old 05-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by Sobear FC3S@May 22 2004, 11:30 AM
I refuse to put a supercharged engine in any engine bay of a car I drive around. Sorry, but I'm either all-motor or turbo. No NOS, no Sc's.
That is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard. Really. Way to back up your strong beliefs with cold hard facts as to why you feel that way, too... :rolleyes:
Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #10
Sobear FC3S

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve03TropicTeal@May 22 2004, 01:12 PM
S/C are rice.. but Turbos are not??

So the Monte Carlo SS S/C is Rice?

and the Grand Pric GTP?

And the bonneville SSEi?

And the Regal GS??
Ok, first off, when the hell did I ever say rice?! I reread my post over and over, and I still find no evidence of this. So to you.. whatever. I never said rice. To me, rice is a kid with a car and huge spoiler and chrome rims thinking he's fast. So no, those cars are not rice.

Quote:
QUOTE (Sobear FC3S @ May 22 2004, 11:30 AM)
I refuse to put a supercharged engine in any engine bay of a car I drive around. Sorry, but I'm either all-motor or turbo. No NOS, no Sc's.Â;-)

That is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard. Really. Way to back up your strong beliefs with cold hard facts as to why you feel that way, too...Â;-)

And as for you.. these are my personal OPINIONS. Meaning, I can think whatever the hell I want to think. So what, I don't like superchargers. I like turbochargers. If you have a problem with that, then keep it to yourself. issed:

Thirdly. I would just like to thank the people who are actually answering my questions, and not being a rooster about it. Now I'm glad I don't own an Alero. Because I would have no friendly forums where I could chat about my car, and instead, I would be stuck with this.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:59 AM   #11
3.4 Euro Alero
GL Member

3.4 Euro Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck dropping a V-6 under that hood. I had a buddy try it and found out the biggest reason GM did not offer a V-6 was beacuse it would not fit properly under that low hood line. I own a cavalier as my second car and would have loved to do that as well. The best you can do with that 2.2 is a new intake. Actually, I put a drop-in K&N which did not seem to help HP but did help in Torque. The biggest difference I noticed was after installing Bosch + 4's, man what a difference. Not a hell of alot more can be done with the old 2.2 I spoke to a guy who builds custom exhausts and he recommended leaving it as for the cost, it would make minimal difference. The only thing you could look at is to see what size your exhaust is to the cat, then from cat back. My cavalier has something like a 1 3/8 pipe to the cat, then a 2" cat back. I always wanted to put a 2" on the front, but never got to it. If you find something else, tell me.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
3.4Alero

OK, here's my opinion... You say she has the 2.4 in her 2002 cavy, right? Why not trade her's in on a 2002 or 2003 ecotec? You'll end up having to pay some for the car, but you'll save a TON versus swapping in a V-6. Take the savings and build up the engine that much more!

And if you are stuck on the V-6, then yes, the stock tranny will do OK for ya. There are a few on here running high HP with the stock tranny with no problems. You should look into some upgrades for it though to be safe.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #13
Final-Reality

Since this has been brought back from the dead, I have one more question: why the hell are you putting a 3400 in your GIRLFRIENDS alero? Is she really going to enjoy the extra low-end torque that much? Cmon....
Old 07-15-2004, 12:39 AM   #14
bigd6983

not gf's alero........her cavy......and why not.......i know i like fixing up my ladys car and messing with friends cars as well......my car comes first but its always nice to have a variety........i agree with silent though, the the v6 has what like 20 more horses stock than the ecotec, but the aftermarket for the ecotec is huge, its not honda civic huge but its a lot lot bigger than the 3400........go get an ectoec, build the internals, and add a turbocharger........
Old 07-15-2004, 08:01 PM   #15
dopey

Quote:
Originally posted by Sobear FC3S@May 18 2004, 01:44 PM
And I take it the 4t45 is the stock Alero tranny? Thanks again!
good research
Old 07-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #16
dopey

oh wow....... i just noticed this thread was started in may........

well he must be done with his swap by now. i wonder where he is to tell us about it :rolleyes:
Old 07-20-2004, 01:03 PM   #17
Sobear FC3S

Wow. :huh?: Ok, so I take back my comment about Alero owners, okay. Anyways, here goes.

First, no the swap isn't done yet. I wish. Haven't even started, other things come first. I have to get my RX-7 running, then we have a kid on the way in about 3 or months, then as someone else said, my car comes first. Her car IS the automatic that has the least amount of potential, so until I get rich, I won't be doing the swap anytime soon.

Second. Her car is a 2.2l, base model Cavy. No ECOTEC involved, nothing fancy. Heck, it even has manual, roll-down windows for crying out loud.

Third. As far as things for the 2.2 Cavy go. Check out www.cavalierconnection.com . They have a nice selection of things, even a bolt-on turbo kit. This will be the route we go with the car is we decide not to try the engine swap.

Fourth. I'm a huge engine swap fan. Now before you assume that I'm also a Honda freak, I'm not. But say, a 240SX, I'd rather drop in an RB25, or say my old Miata, I was planning on swapping in a 13B-REW. Anyways. I'm up for the task fund-permitting, but seeing as how I just got my dream car some 4 months ago, I don't see much going into the Cavy except maybe some looks stuff to appease her.

Fifth. Wow, I'm really on a role here. I, too, love working on other people's cars. As said, my car will come first, but I will not turn down the oppurtunity to help out a friend, or my girlfriend. And to answer another question, she was into cars before I met her. She was actually going to get a Z24 which was a standard, but her dad, of all people (who used to own an old Chevelle that was suped up and a few other muscle cars), talked her out of it. Oh well. And the reason she doesn't trade it in, is because she loves that car more than anything else (except me. ), so trust me, I've already tried talking her into trading it in for her other dream car, a 3000GT VR-4. Not happening. This is her baby, and I respect that.

So, now that should cover everything.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #18
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
if a 3400 will fit in a sunfire, it will fit in a cavi. the cavi automatic tranny WILL bolt up to the 3400 motor but the shift points are off, and you'll hit the rev limiter with the new computer.