Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
Swapping 99 Alero 3400 with 99 LSS 3800 s/c

I've decided what I'm going to do for my Alero is swap the motor with the stock supercharged 3800 series II from the 99 Olds LSS. I went to rockauto.com, and I can get a reman 3800 engine and charger for around $3k +shipping. I figure that this way, the engine is already built to handle a supercharger, and the engine itself won't need much of any special tuning.
I know I would need a few other things, like flywheel, exhaust, fuel pump, injectors and pcm programming.
What else would I need to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Why not just do the L67 Out of the grand prix. Thats what some do. But some say the swap is worth it some will tell you dont even waste your time. There is only one guy here thats somewhat active on this site that has an L67 swapped alero. He will probably pop in when he sees the thread.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Thought about that too.
Another thing I was figuring was, Alero and LSS are both Olds, so the swap might work easier. Although the LSS isn't an N platform, is it?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Dont think so... but neither are the grand prixs... they are W body.

Just cause they are both olds doesnt mean it can make the swap easier.

The l67 with the 4t65e trans will pretty much bolt right up. But you might need some custom trans mounts..
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Honestly an L67 swap isn't worth it. You'd need to do a 4T65HD or similar swap as the 4T45E isn't rated for that amount of power. If you have the funds, you can boost the 3400 for less and make much more power. To get an L67 working you need the harness, aftermarket gauges and much more. Anything and everything related to the L67 swap in an N-Body is custom. The 3400 has a lot of aftermarket support just like the L67.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

What places offer 3400 boost products? Not really looking for one that takes out the ac compressor, either.
Most of the websites I've found that offer 3400 boost products either don't work or the charger is discontinued.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

Milzymotorsports.com
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
^ This plus you may want to send an email to Ben over at www.wot-tech.com. He doesn't make off the shelf turbo kits, but he his shop has also fabricated headers for our motors as well as other crazy projects. He may be able to help you out, if not point you in the right direction.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Checked out milzy motorsports. Found a sweet bolt-on turbo kit for $4,749.

I think I'll start off slow and build up to it. You know, start with a ported upper intake, then get ported exhaust mans, cold air, etc. Then after saving up, I'll get the turbo kit.
Thanks for the info, everyone.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
what do you want to know ?? want it auto or manual ?? it's a PITA to do...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I would like to stay auto. Would prefer a supercharger, so I don't need to worry about turbo lag. Unless I got a Caterpillar 3406 turbo lol.

...would that actually work? The main problem I can think of is running oil lines to it. All of the other stuff, I would likely have done already.
Edit:
Just tallied up cost for reman 3800, supercharger unit, and reman 4T65HD. Total cost: $4,540.47 +shipping.
Also, caterpillar 3406 turbo is $459.95 + free shipping.
Possibilities.

Last edited by aleros_eat_rice : 03-03-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
turbo lag is not an issue lol, full boost @ 2500rpm for me

go turbooo
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

if you want to stay auto... just get a car with a running 3800sc and good auto tranny...
you will need a lot of things from the donor car...
I can tell you that it will greatly ease and lower the cost of the swap if you have the complete donor car...

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I could get the reman motor, trans and super online, then strip the mounts from a junkyard car. That way, the motor and trans will have fresh guts in them.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

I prefer turbo over s/c.

If you know what you are doing... and choose the right turbo for the build lag is not an issue.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

yeah and what about all the accesories of the engine,the p/s hoses, the coolant hoses, the radiator, all the wiring harness, the fuel pump, the shifter if your donor car have a preformance shift button...

and I forgot probably about a million things..

you can't bolt the mounts of the g-body subframe to the n-body frame...
you'll have to build completely from scratch the motor mounts

none of your alero gauges will work with this engine... maybe swap the cluster or get all new gauges...

and you'll have to stiffen/rebuild the front rad support of the car, I tore mine like butter...

if you do want to keep the 4t65hd, the axles dont bolt into the alero hub bearing

etc... the list goes on and on...
lots and lots of custom things to build the 3800 isn't a 60*v6 it's a 90*v6...

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

there is a reason why this swap is not popular in n-body... it cost a shit load of money

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 03-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
Thought about that too.
Another thing I was figuring was, Alero and LSS are both Olds, so the swap might work easier. Although the LSS isn't an N platform, is it?

The fact that they're both Oldsmobiles has nothing to do with how easy or hard you can swap out parts. Oldsmobile is part of GM, and if you know anything about modern GM cars is that they share loads and loads of parts, so the 3800 is a Buick engine and your current 3400 is a Chevy 60 degree V6 engine. Most V6's of the 90's and early 2000's other than the 3800 were based on a Chevy design, with the exception of the 3.5 Aurora, which is based on the Northstar V8.

With that being said, the LSS and Alero have nothing in common other than being GM vehicles. The LSS is on the "H" body while the Alero is on the "N". The LSS is full size whereas the Alero is a compact car, so getting stuff like the transaxles, motor mounts, etc will have to be custom. As guiguilandry will tell you, this isn't a project that can be done in a year. This is going to take loads of time, and you're going to have to fabricate or have things fabricated for you in order to get it to work, not to mention PCM reflashing, tuning, and other small bits people forget about when engine swapping.

If you're dead set on forced induction, you're better off finding an LD9 Alero and turbocharging it or finding an L61 Alero and supercharging that. It still would have custom parts, but the LD9 is basically the Quad 4 and the L61 is basically the Cobalt SS engine. There used to be a supercharging kit that would give you the M62 for the Cavalier and basically make the engine more or less the same as the Cobalt SS one. The thing is that it was discontinued and finding everything will be hard, it would be easier to find a Cobalt SS donor and taking all the supercharged components out of it.

Anyways, the N body has more in common with the J body (Cavalier and Sunfire) than any other platform. It would be loads easier to do a 4 banger forced induction build on this car than a V6, unless you have the money and patience, then I would suggest simply sending the car off to Milzy Motorsports and having them rebuild your engine; which I assume has been tried and tested by now to be reliable and build upon it. You could probably turbocharge the 3400 a lot easier.

My advice would be to check out 60degreev6.com, you can see some neat builds over there and you can also learn what the 3400 is capable of. Once you fix the lim issue on the engine you're pretty much golden.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Then I guess I'll do that.
Still considering the Caterpillar turbo. I would likely need a flange fabricated for the exhaust side, then plumbing, MAF, intercooler and porting. The flange would probably be the only from scratch fab I would need.
Think that might work?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
anything "works" if you have enough time and money
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote