Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Tire Balance Off...But At Low Speeds?

I have been experiencing something strange lately. I am getting a steady "whum, whum, whum" sound that correlates with the speed. I have also discovered that the car will shake as though the tires are out of balance but at around 28 mph. Feels almost like it rocks the car from side to side.

Mechanics said the tire has some uneven wear, but subtle enough that it would be noticed at high speeds. Replaced both wheel bearings. I am thinking a balance and rotate but the speeds relating to the vibration just don't seem to add up...I have only ever experienced off balance vibration at higher speeds.

All this after finally getting the shoddy suspension job corrected. It has been aligned and drives straight as an arrow flies.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I had that problem, but in my case, it was my tie rods.

IDK if you fixed your issue or not but that could be a lead in the right direction.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
From my experience its not uncommon for weights to fall of, causing an off balanced tire, but I have never experienced a wobble at low speeds, only at higher speeds.

It may be that a belt in the tire may have shifted. My blazer had the same problem. At low speeds it was like wobble that rocked the truck side to side, and at high speeds I felt very little or next to nothing. New set of tires, and everything was fine.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
iv experience bad tire belts that cause that. a tierod end and a out of balanced tire usually cause a vibration or shaking at highway speeds... usually.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
wombatslayer
GX Member

wombatslayer is on a distinguished road
i have the exact same problem right now. it's really annoying... except mine is pulling very hard right too. (assuming it's the front right) like if i let go of the wheel, i'm going in a ditch, almost instantly. makes the car drive like a p.o.s.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
wombat have you had an alignment recently?

All of the above could be possible. Having it in the shop working on the suspension I imagine they would have let me know if the tie rods were starting to go.

The belt and weights seem like strong possibilities: I hit a construction road edge EXTREMELY hard with the tire that did not have a mount and set at a stiff shock setting. Could have easily lost the weight and the bubble could indicate belt damage. Guess I better take it to a tire shop.

Pisses me off I spent five hundred dollars for new wheel bearings though...
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post

Pisses me off I spent five hundred dollars for new wheel bearings though...

thats what happens when you just throw parts at it...

you hit a pot hole eh? that adds a the possibility of a bent wheel too which will transfer to the tires. the fact that you have a "whum whum whum" noise says to me its deffinitly something relating to wheel and tire (the part contacting the the road making the noise). if you wanted to do some stuff for free, rotate your front tires to the rear and see if the noise follows. if it does then you know its the wheels/tires. then if you cannot find an issue with the wheels and tires visually, rotate one side at a time and see if the noise goes back to the front (this will indicate which wheel and tire).
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
the bubble could indicate belt damage.

If there is a bubble on the tire then the tire is separated, needs replaced.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
wombatslayer
GX Member

yeah, i had one done just three months ago. but it seems to be getting worse. i also get the whum whum noise. and my car feels like its being shaken at lower speeds. but when i speed up it yanks me right. almost like the caliper is locked up.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatslayer View Post
yeah, i had one done just three months ago. but it seems to be getting worse. i also get the whum whum noise. and my car feels like its being shaken at lower speeds. but when i speed up it yanks me right. almost like the caliper is locked up.

If you don't want to start throwing parts at it, it may just be cheaper to take it to a reputable shop pay them a small fee to diagnose it, and go from there. There's just so much it could be, it may just be easier.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I would think that bad tire balance would be more noticeable at highway speeds. At least that's how it's been for all my cars.

Did you at least check the lug nut torque?

How many miles are on the car?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
wombatslayer
GX Member

138k i haven't checked the lug nut torque. i'm positive its not the balance. it still pulls me right even around 5mph. the only thing i could think of would be the wheel bearing.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
wombatslayer
GX Member

it ended up being my tire. the belt went. changed the tires, MASSIVE difference haha.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Uneven tire wear. Rotated the worn ones to the back, noise disappeared from the front. Wish I could have saved the money replacing the wheel bearings...