Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
HID emergency

So my HIDs have been working fine. Great in fact. Until today. I washed my car, and driving with the fiance I flicked the lights on and saw that only one came on. "Shite" I thought-"more loose wires." But I get home, check it all out: bulb looks good, wires secured. Something just died. I work 12s the next two days and leave on Sunday and need to figure this out asap.

Suggestions PLEASE!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
This sounds bad.

Do you have a digital multi meter?

If so its probably best to unhook each bulb then check for continuity. If they have continuity then they are likely good.

May be a faulty ballast. Remember my kits have a lifetime ballast warranty. If its the ballast just toss it in a box and send it to me. I will get you a replacement ASAP.

On a side note if you do this send me a PM on it. I will contact my distributor then and get this resolved.

In the mean time if you truly need your lights unhook the HID system and plug you old bulbs back in. Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
check the main plug going into the headlight, you may have burnt a terminal, thats what happened to both of my headlight plugs.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the support Ryan. What would a burnt terminal look like by chance? And is this the terminal going into the new headlight or the stock plug that connects back to the ballast?

Unfortunately, I do not have any meter equipment to check charges. Not good.

Update: adjusted some of the wiring. Unplugged and replugged the stock cable into the ballast cable and on it comes....just really touchy wiring I guess.

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 07-15-2010 at 09:16 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Do you have any dielectric grease?

I wonder if you are getting moisture in there or just a bad connection...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

When I bought a new turn signal bulb the autozone guy threw in a little packet of something or another...said it stops corrosion yada yada yada...of course, I threw it away today dammit. Something like that?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
yepp thats it
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

I bought a big azz tube of it for like $6. Use it on spark plug wires and any connections under the hood. It displaces moisture, stops corrosion, and stops rubber from sticking to the plugs...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i would check to make sure the relay for the actual ballasts did not get wet and is shorting something out, that happened to me back in the day when i put in my first set of HIDs

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
It's allot easier to troubleshoot with a DMM. Even a cheap one in this case that way you can start to see if you are getting the correct voltage or voltage at all to the ballast or from. Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

DMM's can be had at Harbor Freight for $3-5...

Work good enough.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I don't know...but it went out again.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

When is this happening?

When its raining? Cold? Or just randomly?

Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
JunkProwler
GX Member

JunkProwler is on a distinguished road
Try flicking your highbeams and if you can eventually get both bulbs lit, its because your wiring can't carry enough juice to light them both at first. Solution would be a wiring harness with thicker power wire to the battery (fused).
JunkProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

And they both were back on this morning! I think I need to find that grease...but I won't have time with my trip. I definitely think bad connection. Some of the plugs I had a hard time getting to completely latch but I am not sure where. Seems random.

Juice is not an issue. The ballasts charge up and the light charges up with them.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
And they both were back on this morning! I think I need to find that grease...but I won't have time with my trip. I definitely think bad connection. Some of the plugs I had a hard time getting to completely latch but I am not sure where. Seems random.

Juice is not an issue. The ballasts charge up and the light charges up with them.
If you could test the leads when it is going crazy you could narrow down which connection it is.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Yeah...I just lack that testing ability right now.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
It could still be a faulty ballast, I had 2 ballasts go out on the 240. (hl and fogs) Even after they go off the ballast could be faulty and flicker back on for a little bit. Check the warranty and replace it if needed. Not really an emergency, just a quick swap
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Now it seems that one is off color from the other. Or it does not shine has "sharply" so to speak.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
How much grease would you have to use? I think I have the same problem
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote