Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
HID and auto start question

installed my ddm hids over the weekend. i have an automatic starter, and when i use it when its dark out, the headlights automatically flash 3 times and turn on when the car starts, like they would if i started it manually. now with the hids installed, and my drl disabled, the headlights do not light up. now i dont know if its designed into the hid kit, or if its a malfunction of the kit. so far it doesnt seem to be doing any damage to the new lights, but id like to know if its something to worry about. thanks.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
whiterider00
GLS member

anyone...?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
It might be trying to turn them on but the ballast can't start that quick to just flash when cold. If that's the case it could hurt your system over time and I would recommend just pulling the parking brake up a notch everytime you leave the car or just disable autolamps.

But if it's built into the ddm brand ballast somehow and designed to not just flash, then you would have nothing to worry about. But I'm gonna guess that this isn't the case.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i had the same issue when my battery was weak.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
did you hook up turn signal wire off of starter to i think brown wire in light switch
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

ahhh ok here. i slept on it and it makes more sense. it sounds like whoever installed your auto start (you?) hooked up the wrong wires under the dash. all auto starts i've seen thats exactly what the parking lights are supposed to do is flash when signal is received and then stay on when running.

but if you don't like your hids trying to turn on while the car is cranking you'll still have to do something about the autolamps like i said earlier.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
whiterider00
GLS member

well, i have the drl disabled, and i always use the ebrake, but the design of the auto starter is to flash the side markers to show that it is starting. during the day when it is light out, the headlights do not flash or turn on because it doesnt sense that its dark out or whatever. but when i use the starter to start it when its dark, the headlights normally do come on. so it seems that theres no way to keep them from turning on when using the starter, which could over time damage the balasts. so it looks like im gonna have to stop using the auto starter.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Disable your automatic lights or pull up the e-brake when you leave the car...
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
whiterider00
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
well, i have the drl disabled, and i always use the ebrake...

shall i say it again?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
DRL and autolamps are separate functions

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
jayson_waltz
GLS member

^yep. just because you disabled DRL doesn't mean you disabled autolamps. you still have them. If the parking brake is on when you leave the car the autolamp feature will not turn on when the car starts.

if it does still, you have a wiring problem. from there you just need to figure out where, simplest would be to make sure the car sees that the parking brake is being pulled up. if it dings when you pull it up while the car is moving or if the light comes on in the gauge cluster when the brake is up, thats fine. then you pretty much know whoever installed the autostart effed up the wiring. Then check that.

On my alero i also disabled the DRLs but left the autolamps on. and i also had hids along with an autostart, exact situation as you. So i know how this is supposed to act (along with many others on here) and also know when something is obviously effed up.

Last edited by jayson_waltz : 03-26-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
whiterider00
GLS member

ok. cud it be a function of the autostarter too tho? like a feature where it turns the lights on for safety or something?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #13
jayson_waltz
GLS member

never heard of it, but if its some weird off brand autostart it is possible. btw what brand is the autostart? the only time i've seen the lights turn on with a starter is b/c of it being dark out, but there is a first time for everything i guess.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
whiterider00
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
the only time i've seen the lights turn on with a starter is b/c of it being dark out, but there is a first time for everything i guess.

ya, the headlights only turn on when its dark. if i use the auto start when its light out, only side markers light up. but when its dark, even with the ebrake pulled, the headlights used to light up. now with the hids they dont. i think im just gonna stop using the auto start, just to avoid any possible damage it may cause to the balasts or bulbs.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #15
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Disable the function on your startup thing... doesn't matter if they appear to not work or what.

Flashing your HIDs like that is bad news... they aren't meant to be flashed like on alarms and starters... make it flash your signals or something instead.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
whiterider00
GLS member

i had another question along the same lines. will flashing my hi beams quickly at night, with the hids on (like to warn someone of a cop), cause any damage to the bvulbs or balasts? i know it wasd said its not good to have them flash, but once theyre warmed up or whatever, will it still cause issues? thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
jayson_waltz
GLS member

do you you hight beam hids also? if so i wouldn't go flashing your lights, it annoyed my at first that i couldn't but you get used to it.
But if you still have halogen highs you should still be able to even tho i would guess it isn't the best for them to shut off and on quick. Just wire it so your lows stay on when you turn to highs and you'll be able to do it all you want.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
whiterider00
GLS member

ya, i could do it so the lows stay on when i flash the highs. i do plan on getting hid hi beams at some point, so i guess i should get used to not flashing them.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
jayson_waltz
GLS member

yea it would be nice to get used to it cause flashing hid highs will be hell on them. but you should do the mod anyways, makes for amazing light output on rural roads. best 15 min mod you will ever do.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #20
whiterider00
GLS member

not too many rural roads around here, but ill look into doing it. thanks