Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Lights flashing on Cluster

Well, I was driving yesterday when all of a sudden my Low Tire Pressure, ABS, and brakes lights all came on. They stayed solid for a bit but then they started turning on and off randomly. I checked my tire pressure and brake fluid and they are all fine. I also unhooked the battery overnight to see if maybe a setting got stuck or something but nothing worked. I tried resetting the tire pressure light but it just came back on. I have no clue as to what could be happening to the car.

My first thought was the hub assemblies but I changed them 2 months ago under their warranty. I am completely stumped as to what it could be so any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, it looks like I'm DJing a party with strobe lights when I put music on though!

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Christine's granddaughter?
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Lol...let's hope not!

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Do you have aftermarket rims and tires?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Vella's Alero
GL Member

No. Right now everything is stock. Polished 16" factory Rims with 225/60 R16 tires on it.

Any other ideas? I need to get this fixed because it is driving me nuts!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Could it be something in the cluster (ie: wiring or contacts?) maybe coming loose? I'm just trying to think of different things it could be before I replace the hubs again to check for that.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
Did you change all four hubs??

If so, the plug or the wires are prob making a poor connection. remove and inspect.

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Vella's Alero
GL Member

No I have only replaced the front 2 as a pair each time (2 times now in 8 months). I have never touched the back hubs because they have never been a problem. I didn't know that the rear pair had sensors. Are they basically the same all the way around?

I will try to take out the connectors for all four, clean then and reconnect when I get home and see if that helps.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Vella's Alero
GL Member

So, I cleaned all of the connectors to all of the hubs and changed the two front hub assemblies and still the problem persisted. I took it to a friend mechanic and he scanned it for me. It gave him this code:

C 1276
- Left-Front Solenoid Circuit Malfunction Short to Battery Positive

Any ideas what I can check or need to replace?

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
Prob a short somewhere in the wires going to the hub, check the connections on the hub and see if the pins are straight and in good condition, and verify the wires are securely inserted into the connector. then follow the wire with your finger to see if you can feel a spot where the insulation is wore through. A pinch in the wire could also be the culprit.

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Exclamation

Ok, so after changing ALL of the hubs, checking wires, cleaning them and everything, I checked the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) and the outside was somewhat corroded but not that bad, but when I took it off, the inside wires actually kinda crumbled apart. I put it back on and everything still works and the lights still flash so that's good for now.

I am going to a wrecker on Thursday to rip another one out from another car. My question is whether it has to be the same year Alero or even if I can pull one off of a Grand Am and if that would have to be from the same year?

Thanks for the help guys. Once I get this done I might even post a how-to if people are interested because I searched it and it sounds like a common problem because of placement and salt (for us northerners).

Old 04-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Monza
GX Member

Monza is on a distinguished road
Rockauto.com lists two part numbers (one costs a lot more than the other?!). Both parts show they're only for the 1999 alero and Grand Am.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Vella's Alero
GL Member

So I pulled 2 EBCMs from 2 Aleros during my recent junk yard run (for $20 each mind you!) and the one that we pulled apart was in pristine condition. Now when I have a few hours I will splice it in and see if that fixes the cluster issue. Will keep you posted.