Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Overlay Installation

I just received my overlay from a recent partout and yes, I purchased it before completely knowing how to install it. Figure it will be a learning process...but I'm a bit baffled from the get-go.

The overlay pieces have scotch tape on the back of them and I am not sure if that is a good sign. There is the converter box with the obvious red=hot wire and black=ground wire.

Then there is the switch box coming off of the converter...with what appears to be an on/off switch and possible a dimmer roller?

I have read that grey is hot in the console and black is the ground wire. I have also heard going around through the center console and other times going around the left vent. All in all I am a bit confused-and where the heck am I supposed to put that dimming/on/off controller?

All guage installs I've only seen the flashy light and lights and just assumed they constructed the overlay to have the light shine through it in that manner. Nieve and hopeful maybe-but I did not expect this and since my alero is my daily driver I cannot afford to be installing blindly and not be able to get it back together in time.

Any chance I can get some mercy info on the installation please? If this is in fact the overlay many people have. I'm an amateur mechanic at best and much worse with electrical. But all of life is a learning experience right?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 12-01-2010 at 02:34 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
hookup the positive/negative leads on the wire to the cubby hole light (under your HVAC controls) this way when your headlights automatically go on, the gauge overlays will automatically go on.

TO REMOVE:
two 8mm screws on the top hold the thing that goes around the gauges
then 4 more 8mm screws hold the gauges into the dash board.
unplug the large connector in the top right of the gauges and remove the entire assembly.
pry open the tabs all around the gauge to open the clear case and get into the actual gauge.
put the overlays in in place over the corresponding gauge.
(you might want to use some scotch tape to get the overlays to stay in the perfect spot, because they might move around like mine did with vibrations and bumps.)

reassemble and enjoy.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
edited, gr1m beat me
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
7mm screws, not 8mm. but im sure you could have figured that out.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
alot of people omit the dimmer completely, because if you patch into a gray wire, your in car dimmer will work too.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to thread jack...
I have heard that some people have used actual wiring behind the gauge cluster itself, but which wires are used back there? It would be easier to keep everything behind the cluster and not have to re route all the way down to the HVAC cubby light...
Just my 2 cents, but I am hoping to get some further clarification...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
not really... you want a longer run, preferably with a disconnect, for simplicity.

if you have to remove your cluster, its already a compact area. its easier to trace a wire to a more open area and disconnect it from there, rather then fighting in a small area. IMO
Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I somewhat agree with you, but if you have to disconnect, chances are you have to remove the overlay, which means removing the cluster anyways... so why not have it all wired up back there, rather than further away with the HVAC? There is ample wire provided with the overlay to pull the cluster out far enough to get in there for wiring purposes, so why not keep it all together in the first place?

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
I did it like tw0123 said.....The harness that comes out the cluster in the back pretty much hangs out so its not hard to manipulate and get a good splice work going there. The wires is not hard to find just look through the bunch...but then again I work on airplanes that pretty much have no room to do anything so thats why i probably found it fairly easy =S
Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
alot of people omit the dimmer completely, because if you patch into a gray wire, your in car dimmer will work too.

I like the idea of that rather than having random switches and controls hanging about. I assume I can just let the aftermarket overlay control stay behind the overlay possibly? Like to keep things neat and clean looking.

Is this gray wire in the center console as well? Wondering how difficult it is to run wiring behind all of this? Does it look like I will have enough slack? Don't have a soldering gun either, would you recommend clips at all cherry?

Speaking of soldering guns-what is a good one that you would recommend cher?

thanks for the aid so far guys.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

I've used radioshack ones, for everything. They aren't the best (I think that'd be weller) but they work. 35W should do. 25 is a pain in the ass, and 45 is REALLY hot.. sometimes too hot. also, get a couple extra tips, you'll eventually need them.

If you take your cluster surround out (plastic bezel) you'll see a hole on the right side, which drops right down to the side of the center console. So you need less wire then you think.

and if your going to let the dimmer hang... put some tape on it to hold it somewhere. the tapping of that thing bouncing around would drive someone insane
Old 11-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
i just cut my dimmer out... u dont need 2 on the same line
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
I did it like tw0123 said.....The harness that comes out the cluster in the back pretty much hangs out so its not hard to manipulate and get a good splice work going there. The wires is not hard to find just look through the bunch...but then again I work on airplanes that pretty much have no room to do anything so thats why i probably found it fairly easy =S

Which wires did you use (colors specifically) just to let anyone else know who wants to try this... Last time I checked there were 9 different wires going into the cluster lol...

Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
I use the dimmer control for the overlays still so i can control the brightness independantly from the needles.. the overlays can be pretty damn bright. I used scotch double sided tape (its a must)

I took apart my cluster and put tape on the backside of the overlays, went out to my car plugged in the open cluster left it on the steering column. slid a piece into place and turned on the car so I could line up the cluster lights to the overlays, once it was perfectly alligned, i pressed it down to stick. just have to turn the key off an on a few times to verify. If the lights didn't line up perfect it would of bugged me..
It makes it very easy to look perfect with the lights being on in the cluster during installation.

I also put white paper on the back over the warning light "holes" so it looks alot cleaner during the day, and the light still shine through well..

Pictures: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31216 10th post..

Last edited by a4d2a0m : 11-06-2010 at 07:23 PM.
a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4d2a0m View Post
I use the dimmer control for the overlays still so i can control the brightness independantly from the needles.. the overlays can be pretty damn bright. I used scotch double sided tape (its a must)

I took apart my cluster and put tape on the backside of the overlays, went out to my car plugged in the open cluster left it on the steering column. slid a piece into place and turned on the car so I could line up the cluster lights to the overlays, once it was perfectly alligned, i pressed it down to stick. just have to turn the key off an on a few times to verify. If the lights didn't line up perfect it would of bugged me..
It makes it very easy to look perfect with the lights being on in the cluster during installation.

I also put white paper on the back over the warning light "holes" so it looks alot cleaner during the day, and the light still shine through well..

Pictures: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31216 10th post..

When you lined the overlay up, you left the stock one in to match it better? How do you get the stock one out after lining it up? Or do you just leave it permanently?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
just leave it in.. there is no need to remove it.

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
Which wires did you use (colors specifically) just to let anyone else know who wants to try this... Last time I checked there were 9 different wires going into the cluster lol...

bump for alerosaints input please.

And anyone know the thread title for the gauge overlay installation? Swore I saw one on here before but I can't find it now.

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 12-29-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

sweet. I have everything out and aligned, now the scary part for me. What is the best way to access the cubby wire harness? Also, where is a good place to attach the power box and run the extra wiring?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Which of these settings do I use for car wires? Specifically the one for the overlay?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 01-27-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
DC Volts. Your cars electrical system is 12V so set the switch to 20V. It will read anything from 0-20V in that mode.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote