Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Clunking

I lowered my car finally today, sort of. Only did the front because I ran out of light and my friend wanted to leave his shop (needed the impact).

New strut mounts
New Eibach springs
Used KYB AGXs

My original struts/springs were total garbage. But after installing the new stuff, I have a very loud clunk noise coming from the front suspension when any minor bump is encountered. It's ridiculous. Sure, handles nice, looks nice, but there's a phenomenally loud clunking going on all the time.

Wtf can you screw up on springs/struts/mounts? Could it be that the big nut on the strut isn't tightened down all the way?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
was your spring properly seated in the strut bearing plate?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
There's only one way to do it isn't there? I mean there's a vertical stopper that the end of the spring touches against.. I do recall it taking some negotiation to line up the top mount through the body holes but everything bolted up reasonably easily...

When I replaced just the spring and a mount when my LH spring broke a couple weeks ago, I noticed an additional clunking sound. Maybe my friend and I'm doing it wrong... I just was not aware that there is a way to do it wrong. lol
Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
Did you guys torque everything up properly?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

The 2 big bolts/nuts at the hub are tight, as are the 3 top fasteners. I used the impact on the 3/4" top nut but as you know, the shaft spins after it gets tight all the way down. I mean it's all the way down and the spring/mount are pushing against it so I doubt it's that the main nut is any kind of loose...

What would be funny is if it's actually the jackstands/jack/and coil springs and tools and bar in my trunk making noise.. The sound seems to be coming from the front for sure though... but I tend to be bad at determining where sounds are coming from on my car. I'll look into it tomorrow and empty my trunk completely.

You don't have to modify the bumpstop/boot on lowering springs do you? Could that be what it is?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
You don't have anything bad on the sway bar? Like a bracket coming off or a broken endlink?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

End links are new, heavy duty, everything looks good on the brackets. Only difference between quiet and clunky is mounts, springs, struts (and a ton of heavy items in the trunk randomly laying on top of each other)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
when my springs were new they made noise until they settled, welcome to the world of performance suspension, mine still makes noises from time to time.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
when my springs were new they made noise until they settled, welcome to the world of performance suspension, mine still makes noises from time to time.

I had the same problem when i got mine on. It only made the sound when i made sharp/slow turns.....for the first 2-3 weeks...now its good. I did have the end links replaced AND i had poly urethane bushings put in the control arms. I NEED better sway bars now lol
Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
did you use the rubber that was on the bottom of your original struts? if not then thats your issue your hearing the metal on metal
Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Quote:
Originally Posted by robalero View Post
did you use the rubber that was on the bottom of your original struts? if not then thats your issue your hearing the metal on metal

my isolators fell apart years ago and i dont get noise. the springs need time to settle.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

I used all the insulators and the rubber boots from the old struts. I'm pretty sure you can't screw it up. I lined up the bottom insulator on the spring perch using the guide hole, and then set the spring on the insulator at the same indentation that the old spring made.

If I don't solve it simply when I go outside and do basic stuff today I'll take a video so you can hear the ridiculous sounds.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
happened with mine, it doesnt do it anymore. Give it some time and let the spring settle into the seat
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
You don't have anything bad on the sway bar? Like a bracket coming off or a broken endlink?

First thing that I thought of

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
End links are new, heavy duty, everything looks good on the brackets. Only difference between quiet and clunky is mounts, springs, struts (and a ton of heavy items in the trunk randomly laying on top of each other)

Double check. You said you were in a rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post

So did mine, but not a cluncking. Mine did like a creeking noise, but that was in the wintertime. They still do it in the winter, when it gets around 10* or colder which is kinda rare here

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
First thing that I thought of

Double check. You said you were in a rush

So did mine, but not a cluncking. Mine did like a creeking noise, but that was in the wintertime. They still do it in the winter, when it gets around 10* or colder which is kinda rare here

10* is warm from the middle of December to the beginning of March here.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

The sound is far more minimal today. It was horrendous last night right after the install, huge clunking over any tiny surface imperfection. But now it only really makes a sound during turning and/or severe bumps, so I assume everything's fine.. Everything was installed correctly as far as I re-checked. It's tolerable now. I don't throw a fit over NVH too much but on the first drive it was just silly.

VIDEO
Old 04-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
jawa