Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes another DRL/ALC thread... sue me lol

To those of you I have met and to those of you I have spoken with before, you know I am only asking to be sure as a lot of these post and threads over the years have gotten off topic or need updated. A long story short, I am now on my 3rd Alero, but now a 1999 GL. I have done all the searching and reading and even followed links to the GA site. According to posts on aleromod.com here and on the gagt site, I should be able to do the bcm mod to disable the DRL/ALC the same way it is done on 1999 Grand Ams, even though their headlight set up is slightly different? I, also, believe I could disable, at least the DRL, by clipping/blocking off pin 87a for the DRL relay? I like the idea of just disabling both at the bcm, though. Sleepy, looking forward to hearing from you on this, it's been a while.
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Here i am!!!! sup dude glad to have you back around, will never forget your avatar picture hahaha

But anyway, uh yeah i researched on google back when i did my DRL removal.... It only mentioned for a 2001 alero. Said pull your DRL fuse and clip pin #87 (or tape) if you prefer.

Personally i clipped mine. But my car is also an 01 so it worked fine for me. I had one guy just last week with a.... 02 or 03 alero who asked me the same question on FB, and i explained to him how i did it, he said it worked for him for 2-3 days then they just started coming back on like nothing happened. And he clipped the pin off.

I havent heard of anyone else having an issue like that. And i couldnt guide him any further on why that happened and how to keep the DRL off, i know just of clipping the pin and being done with it.

I believe that technique will work on a 99 too, fuse is located under the hood, look for something that shows DRL on fuse guide, i believe it is relay #22, then on the bottom side you should see numbers by each pin, and you want to clip Pin 87.

And just for fun, the quote from the site i got it off of that explains what to do...

"2001 Oldsmobile Alero Locate the DRL relay in the main fuse box under the hood, it is #22 corresponding to the diagram on the underside of the fuse box cover. Remove the relay, snip pin 87, and re-insert."

Also never heard of shutting it off at the BCM. Nor have i seen a guide how to. But hey, whatever works really lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 12-28-2014 at 10:42 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
luckilero7
GL Member

I joined over 10 years ago I believe, and I can't even remember my avatar pic lol. Well, through all the researching, the 99-00 are wired slightly dif. In the 03, my last one, all you do is pull the drl relay out completely, which worked. Then, I just used a switched source and light in a tube with the alc sensor to fool it. I know in the 99-00 to disable the drl you clip a pin on the relay, but I have read 2 dif pins to clip, 87 or 87a, so I'm confused there. Also, with the 99-00 the alc is slightly dif. So through the researching on here and links to the gagt site, I found a possible and what seems like plausible way of modding to bcm wires to override both. I'm gonna try it, I think lol.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
smccarthy1883
GX Member

smccarthy1883 is on a distinguished road
I have an 03 and I just ripped the whole drl relay out. No lights on the dash. Ripped it out about 5 months ago. I like the auto lights, so I left those alone.

Last edited by smccarthy1883 : 12-29-2014 at 04:06 AM.
smccarthy1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Auto lights are disabled by taking out the sensor and jumping the terminals (+ and - wires) with a resistor. That automatically keeps the lights on manual until the sensor is put back in. I did it on my Camaro, best mod I ever did. I didn't mind it on the Grand Am because I could at least turn off the headlights and just run the parking lights.

Here's how you do it on a 1999. Found it on lightsout.org

Quote:
1999-2000 Pontiac Grand Am This I know for sure works on 99-00 model GAs. This makes for an alternative for the DRL kits that are no longer in production. There is hint that a fully Plug and Play version is underway which I would recommend if you want to return to stock easily. If you are brave enough to mess with the BCM wiring there here you go.

First do not remove any relays or fuses; however, I highly recommend that you unplug your negative battery terminal.. Don't want to risk popping fuses or pooching the Body Control Module (BCM).

The BCM is located on the passenger side under the dash. There isn't much space to work with so to get the most space I would recommend that you remove your glovebox as well as the under dash panels. The BCM looks like a black box about the size of a CD jewel case. It will have 3 connectors.. 1 pink and two gray.

No DRL
At the BCM, locate Connector C2 (center) On the "B" side row of pins, locate the dark blue wire (b4) Cut this wire, leaving as much as possible still attached to the BCM.

Now simply add on a piece of wire to the side that is still connected to the body control module. attach this wire to a good ground, like a screw in the metal part of the dash behind the glove box or I used the interior light mounting bracket screw right there next to the BCM.

The BCM now see's this to mean that the regular headlights are on, and so it energizes the relay that turns off the DRL's.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
luckilero7
GL Member

Nas Escobar, yes this is what I read for the drl and it continued on to explain how to disable the alc as well at the bcm. However, what kind of resistor would I use to jump the sensor and would I just connect it between the 2 wires? Sorry I've never seen it done and don't know how to do it at all that way. On my 01 camaro, all I did was use a little soldering metal between 2 points on I believe the bcm being the radio and that gave me complete control. I'm definitely gonna do the drl disable at the bcm as that sounds to always work and I still can't figure out what pin to clip on the relay; yes on the 03 you can just pull the relay completely with no problem. I would like to try the resistor at the sensor if possible if I knew how to do it without throwing a svs light.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Should be numbers by each pin.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
luckilero7
GL Member

Well which pin sleepy!? 87 or 87a?!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
luckilero7
GL Member

Any word on the resistor to use nas escobar and just wire it between the wires of the light sensor after removing it?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

Pin 87, not 87a
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #11
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckilero7 View Post
Nas Escobar, yes this is what I read for the drl and it continued on to explain how to disable the alc as well at the bcm. However, what kind of resistor would I use to jump the sensor and would I just connect it between the 2 wires? Sorry I've never seen it done and don't know how to do it at all that way. On my 01 camaro, all I did was use a little soldering metal between 2 points on I believe the bcm being the radio and that gave me complete control. I'm definitely gonna do the drl disable at the bcm as that sounds to always work and I still can't figure out what pin to clip on the relay; yes on the 03 you can just pull the relay completely with no problem. I would like to try the resistor at the sensor if possible if I knew how to do it without throwing a svs light.

Sorry for the late response, I haven't had time to come online.

From what I'm told for the ALC, you can use any resistor, but I specifically used a 5ohm, 1 watt. If not that, something similar. The goal is to not go crazy on the resistor, just something that will convince the BCM it's always daylight. You don't need much energy for that.

As far as the DRL, I kept mine in my Camaro because it turns on the front signal lights, not the actual head lights so I don't mind that look. You don't need to mess with any relays at all to disable the DRL before 2003. That's why I posted that quote. That's why I kept the ALC part despite telling you to use a fuse.

The first line specifically says "don't remove the relay" In taking it out to adjust the pin, you're removing it. Lets set that idea aside for a minute.

Instead of grounding it at the fuse, ground the wire at the BCM.

Here's a schematic of the BCM clip's wiring diagram.

I'm not sure if a wire tap on the BCM wire to ground would work, but it would be a good idea if you're scared to cut that wire. You need to ground B4 (4th wire on the bottor row, from the left). Once that's grounded it should disable the feed for the DRL. The theory is that by grounding that, you're gaining control of the headlights. The BCM cannot command the DRL to turn on a light. Try it out, and if that doesn't work then we're stuck at the relay idea. If you have to cut, then try to cut at the center so you can add it back if need be.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Pin 87, not 87a

this
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
luckilero7
GL Member

Well guys I'll give her a try today! Thanks! Oh where can I get that resistor at?
Old 01-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #14
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckilero7 View Post
Well guys I'll give her a try today! Thanks! Oh where can I get that resistor at?

Radioshack. They usually have em in the drawers in the back.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
luckilero7
GL Member

Thanks Nas! I was thinking there, just haven't hada chance to go yet.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #16
luckilero7
GL Member

All they had was a 1 watt 10 ohm, will that work?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

It should.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited