Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > Forced Induction Performance

Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
M90 supercharger

I've seen some people with supercharged Aleros that have the M90 sc. I want to s/c my Alero (3400), and the M90 seems like the best bet to make that happen, as I can get a reman M90 on ebay for $800. I know there's more to it, with the other parts, the tuning and what not but the charger would be the biggest thing.

My question is if the M90 is compatible with the 3400. I want to know if the bold pattern is the same. If it is, when I go s/c that'll be what I go with. That'll end my search for a s/c unit at least.
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Actually the original Magnuson kit for these engines used the M62 supercharger. The M90 was used in the Buick 3800 engine. This set up is not at all compatible with the 3400 due to it being a completely different design in engines. Although AleroB888 did take a M90 and fabricate the inlet and outlet flanges required based on the Magnuson kit. On top of that you'd have to get a proper length snout as well as mounting brackets for support. Doing something similar to what he did is a difficult task.

These links would be useful to read. If you can't see the pictures then just create an account on www.60degreev6.com

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...-first-mock-up

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...roject-Updates

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
O.P., got the P.M, if you can't see the links posted above, I'll repost the info here....

Bottom line would take about $2500.00 for the SC with castings / hardware (mounts must be fabricated), then also needs headers, injectors, tuning, battery relocated, hood brace notched, and a few other mods. This is more complex than installing an MP62 kit, which is fairly difficult as well. And I would have to check if the same place can still do the castings.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I see what you did. Took a top mount and made it a side mount.

Is that bottom line for everything directly related to the charger? I know other things must be done, but is the $2500 the ball park to get the charger and mounts? If that's the case, that isn't so bad.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
They made sc kits for the 3400... very rare nowadays
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
I see what you did. Took a top mount and made it a side mount.

Is that bottom line for everything directly related to the charger? I know other things must be done, but is the $2500 the ball park to get the charger and mounts? If that's the case, that isn't so bad.

No, it's not a top-mount in particular, it's considered a universal style that can be used in various positions.

There are different drive configurations. The one used on top of a V6 or V8 normally uses a one-piece drive. The one I have uses a two-piece drive with a custom length driveshaft.

You give Magnuson the specifications you want, and they custom build each one: overall length of unit, type and diameter of pulley, location of bypass actuator, color of powdercoat finish (silver is standard).

Then their builder gets back to you with an estimate via the sales rep, usually a week or more later depending on workload.

Mine was less than $2000 shipped about two years ago. About $300.00 for raw castings counting machining work on them. Then the mountings leave a lot of room for creativity. A place like WOT-Tech or MMS could install this, I expect they would charge at least $700.00. Not that they would want to, just sayin' they could, lol
Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

What I meant was that I'm used to seing that particular charger in a top mount config.

How much did the custom length driveshaft cost?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
What I meant was that I'm used to seing that particular charger in a top mount config.

How much did the custom length driveshaft cost?

Those only work with a two-piece drive, which means you can't get one for the typical Gen III M90 Eaton out of an OEM vehicle. Even if Magnuson Products sold you a custom driveshaft for the MP90 Gen IV, it would have to be machined and adapted to the blower, which would likely need to be rebuilt anyway. If you have a Gen IV that already has a two-piece drive but no driveshaft (not likely), then you might talk MP into selling a new driveshaft for $400-$600. Even then they might require you to send your blower in for reconditioning.

So, the best way to do it is order the whole unit together.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Would they be able to make an adapter so I could bolt it up in place of the plenum? That could simplify the install, outside of maybe getting the hood modified or replaced.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #10
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Would they be able to make an adapter so I could bolt it up in place of the plenum? That could simplify the install, outside of maybe getting the hood modified or replaced.

No, that's been researched a lot, it would require reengineering the lower intake manifold and bypass system, and still may wind up with hood clearance issues.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Just thought about it. Hood clearance will be an issue this way if possible, but what about a supercharger for a Camaro with the 3.4? Would that work?
At that point, I'm not even worried about the hood anymore, as I know it would need to be modified or replaced with custom.
Edit:
Didn't the Impala SS come with a stock s/c 3400? If that's the case, I just need to find a wrecked Impala SS and pluck the charger from it.

Last edited by aleros_eat_rice : 03-13-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Nope they didnt, It was 3800 s/c or 5.3 v8.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
No the camaro with 3.4 is a completely different 3400
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Forgive me if I yammer on too long about this. Just trying to find a way to supercharge it. If it doesn't pan out, next step-turbo.

I read on another forum how a guy had a plenum milled down so he could bolt an M90 on it, but it was ugly, and to the point that it needed a hole cut in the hood to make it work. Not doing that to my Alero.

What about a lower intake made to accept the M90 on the 3400?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
look at a picture of a 3400 lower intake... I guess it would be possible to make a custom box that bolt to the lower intake with the s/c on top of it... but air flow will probably be horrible due to the lower intake design

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #16
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ574128604

Someone selling a M90.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #17
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
look at a picture of a 3400 lower intake... I guess it would be possible to make a custom box that bolt to the lower intake with the s/c on top of it... but air flow will probably be horrible due to the lower intake design

What if I get a lower for a 3500? Or, just get the 3400 lower ported like I already plan to, would that improve air flow?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

porting will improve airflow IF done right..., it can also kill low end torque if not done right... it will be easier for you to stick with your 3400 stuff...

like i said i would do a complete 3500 top swap in your case, that will greatly improve air flow...

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

if that's really a m90,, i think it comes from a t-bird... or it's an older m62 from a gm 3800 sc series 1.... it doesn't look like my m90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8track16 View Post

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguilandry View Post
porting will improve airflow IF done right..., it can also kill low end torque if not done right... it will be easier for you to stick with your 3400 stuff...

like i said i would do a complete 3500 top swap in your case, that will greatly improve air flow...

What's that, plenum, lower and heads?