Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 02-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
Kealel
GX Member

Kealel is on a distinguished road
Question 2.4 manual swap with 2.2 tranny?

First, sorry if this is the wrong section, I couldn't decide on where to put this...

With that said, I have a 2.2 manual transmission Alero and a 2.4 auto. I know the following are different so can I:

A. Swap the housing from the auto to the manual?

B. Find a manual housing to bolt on somewhere?

C. Get a conversion kit (if one exists)?

If yes to any of those, what all do I need to swap? I have heard everything from "all the hardware and truck the computer into thinking it's in neutral" to "every little Damn wire in the car" and I am sure it is more than the first but not as much as the second...

Also I want to point out that the 2.2 car has not had any recalls done while the 2.4 has, so I hope there is a way to keep the ignition the same.

Hope you guys can help!
Kealel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC the housing is cast into the case on the transmission. You could search for an adapter kit, but assuming the reason for the swap is a bad motor in the ecotec, it would be better to just get a replacement motor. The ecotec is a great motor and can take a hell of a beating as long as it is properly maintained. The 2.4l isn't a terrible motor, but I absolutely despise working on it and the ones that I have been around have required a greater amount of work than the ecotec.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Kealel
GX Member

Kealel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
IIRC the housing is cast into the case on the transmission. You could search for an adapter kit, but assuming the reason for the swap is a bad motor in the ecotec, it would be better to just get a replacement motor. The ecotec is a great motor and can take a hell of a beating as long as it is properly maintained. The 2.4l isn't a terrible motor, but I absolutely despise working on it and the ones that I have been around have required a greater amount of work than the ecotec.

That makes things more difficult... I have searched lightly for an adapter kit but nothing as of yet...

And it isnt just a bad motor, it is a bad motor along with a body shot all over with rust. So a new motor may happen, but it will be more money than it is worth. One way or another, this tranny will be used.

As for 2.2 vs 2.4, I feel the 2.4 is way peppier and easier to work on... I absolutly hate the 2.2! Also, I really got confused by the oil filter too .. Not even a metal can!
Kealel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I guess to each their own. My friends have a 2.4l and working on that thing pisses me off to no end and happens way too often. The few things I had to do to my ecotec when I had it were relatively easy. I would take stuff apart and clean things just because since it was simple enough. Once I figured out the oil filter it was great. Very easy to do a no mess oil change. They like to put their regular filters in some pretty stupid places. All it took was an intake and my 2.2l had just as much if not more pep then their 2.4l and it didn't break all the time.

That being said I understand not wanting to put a new motor in the rusted out body. I still wish I hadn't traded my alero in. I miss it every day.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
First of all, the ing recall was a joke. All the dealer did was put a plastic tab in the key ring hole to keep the key ring on the center of the key. I paid $555 of my own money back in 2006 to fix the ing switch the correct way, by replacing the entire assembly. I don't

As for the motor swap, yes you are going to have to swap the entire wiring hardness, PCM, etc from the donor car. Yes also some programming is required going from an auto to a manual transmission.

This is not an easy swap to do. Maybe a 2.4 or a 2.2 guy can chime in about the wiring and if it's all in the same spot.

Not really sure about the "peppyness" difference. Both motors were rated at 150 hp

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

The ecotec is 140 and 5 less horsepower. Still if the ecotec went bad because of the timing tensioner then that was part of the power difference. The difference in rpm at 70 between before I replaced the timing assembly and after was about 250 rpm. It also felt a decent amount different after.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:28 AM   #7
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I have also read that something else that caused the hp difference in the ecotec, was the exhaust manifold. Newer ecotecs have an O as the outlet in the exhaust manifold. Older ecotecs have a more restrictive D as the outlet. I am sure a manifold swap should bring the ecotec up to par with the 2.4. But yeah, to each their own. One thing I like about the 2.4 is that installing a supercharger is easier and at one time was cheaper.