Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Mayle
GX Member

Mayle is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Doesnt Seem To Be The Common Window Problem

I bought this 4dr '00 GL and I am trying to get it inspected but am having a problem with the front windows. I've searched and read a lot here about the regulators and clips and whatnot, and from what I can tell this doesn't seem to be that.

The drivers side window will do nothing when the button is pressed up or down. No motor noise or anything. The day I got it the drivers-side master switch worked the passenger window as well as the two rear windows fine. The next day the drivers-side switch would not work the front passenger window NOR would the passenger button work it, but the two rear still worked. Later on that day I gave the drivers door a wallop out of frustration and now the passenger side will go up and down AND will go up and down by using its own button.

I thought maybe the driver master switch needed to be replaced but when the passenger door didnt work its own button wouldnt work as well. Also could it not be the regulator since theres no motor noise?

Thanks for any help, I REALLY need to get this thing inspected
Mayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
How mechanical are you?

Start by taking driver's door apart, check for power and ground at the driver's door window motor when the switch is pressed.
Same for the passenger front door.

Usually if you replace the regulator/motor assembly, this fixes the problem regardless.

Could be a bad switch though, it's been known to happen.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Mayle
GX Member

Since the snow I've not been able to get at it but here in the next few days I'll tear apart the door and check for power/ground. I hope its not the switch, I cant find one for under $130!! I can't even find a 4dr master switch on ebay. I'd like to just replace the motor/relay and the switch but $ is short as usual.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
junk yards can be your best friend. i got a new in box motor/regulator for 50 out the door and as for the switch i also got from the junk yard for like 3 bucks.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Don't roll out the master switch. If the master switch is bad or going bad
(like mine is), it could have been constantly sending an "up" signal to the passenger side window. Regardless if you were pushing the button actually on the passenger side. Go get a second person, push up on the drivers side control for the passenger window. And then at the same time while its being pushed up, try and push the button down on the passenger side to lower the window. It won't work.

Also could be a malfunction on the master "lock" window switch. But since you said the rears still worked, I doubt that.

Good luck.

miles as of 04/23/10
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
And the switch can be found on ebay. It's all about how you word your searches.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...+master+switch

miles as of 04/23/10
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
My switch is effing up now. The other three buttons on my master are working fine its just the drivers button that is being a bitch.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Make sure that your windows just not stuck up because its frozen.
It is winter ya know.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Mayle
GX Member

Ha ha thanks guys, I thought this thread had died but I'm glad it didnt! I found a 4dr master switch used on ebay and went ahead and ordered it because when i finally was able to get to my car (its been snowin and cold here) i took out the switch and the drivers-s-ide button was broke and fell out. I figured if this wasnt the culprit Id have to replace it anyways so I got one off ebay.

Yeah I know its winter, believe me , Ive not been able to get at my car really since I bought it (til now), i dont have a garage. I've had it warmed up though and when warm the window didnt work so I'll assume weather wasnt the problem.

Also, on another note, my newest edition to this episode of "The Money Pit" is that I got home this morning and notice my windsheild has a 3ft c-shaped crack in it. No impact marks, just a big crack....the plot thickens. Anyone wanna buy a 2000 Alero? LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The windsheld could have been a small chip that expanded in winter driving.

Happened to my old car

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
wtf, you serious about selling? you JUST got it
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Mayle
GX Member

LOL no im not selling it....twas a joke
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Mayle
GX Member

WOOHOO, today was a good day for the Alero. Got a brand new windsheild installed for $120, they even put the mirror back on for me. Then I got my driver-side master window switch in the mail, hooked it up and now all my windows work as well as the power mirrors!

Gonna try and get it inspected tomorrow, assuming the tie rod or tires dont throw up a flag!

http://www.myspace.com/jeremymayle
Old 12-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #14
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have to remove the door panel to get the switch out, or does it work like this an Intrigue in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKA2a4_KaM

The switch is the same, as in will work in an Alero, but the door trim part is different.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
OK, I ended up removing the door panel, just because I figure that I have to do that anyway to test everything. Yes, it looks possible to remove the switch part without removing the whole door panel, but I don't necessarily recommend it. I tested everything separately and everything worked. So manually moved the window down and then clicked on the auto down on the switch and waited for the motor to stop, then reinstalled the motor and tested again, and now it works.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote