Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
hey my car has 40k miles on it and its a 02 alero and i was thinking i'd do it a favor by giving it a tune up and keep it running healthy. im thinking flushing the tranny fluid, maybe coolant, probably an oil change. but i wanted to hear everybody elses opinions on how to get there alero in tip top shape ^_^
Old 10-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
haha, sounds like you have alot of time on your hands with no license.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
-Alero-
GLS member

yeah lol my dad takes me to work and i rake in about 250 every 2 weeks working at a department store, and im only 17 . so im building up on my car without putting the mileage on it. this may be a little off topic but so far since i lost my liscense i bought 230$ worth of gauges, lots of LED bulbs, and springtech springs , so when i get my car back on the road, it will be completly different
Old 10-07-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I don't know about the coolant flush, but the tranny can wait about another 10K. That one in actaully in the manual.

I'd have a shop do that because there is 14 quarts in the tranny and the converter. If you just lower the pan, you only get out 4 quarts. The dealer charged me $130 for it. $85 of that was just the fluid.

As for the coolant, it seems that every GM car is different. I don't mean one model to another, I'm talking each car. Your Alero is different than my Alero. I have almost 57K on my baby and I think I wanna get the coolant changed soon, but my car is almost 5 years old too. It's all gunky, and crappy inside my overflow too <_<

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
-Alero-
GLS member

you also gotta a lil bit more performance mods on it too. so maybe theres more stress going on in that engine.... i dont really know. but yeah i just kinda wanna make it feel young again, you know like when you first bought it. it used to love reving, now its just kinda like: <_< <_< <_<
Old 10-07-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

hey redog, what kind of fluid? cause here b&m trick shift synthetic is only 4 bucks a quart.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:38 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I don't know, probably some GM crap <_<

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:38 PM   #8
-Alero-
GLS member

lol fair enough
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
FormulaNERD
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Oct 8 2004, 02:38 AM
I don't know, probably some GM crap <_<
i'm gonna go to get mine flushed, first i'm going to ask the price, and then ask how much is labor and how much of the price is fluid. then i'm going to tell them, ok i'll pay you $$ for the labor, because i already have fluid.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
mobs241

i know this isnt any of my bussiness, but your 17 how in the hell did you already get your liscense suspended? good lord im 22 and havnt even got a speeding ticket yet. sorry
Old 10-08-2004, 12:56 AM   #11
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by mobs241@Oct 7 2004, 10:21 PM
i know this isnt any of my bussiness, but your 17 how in the hell did you already get your liscense suspended? good lord im 22 and havnt even got a speeding ticket yet. sorry
Intermediate license, probably got 4 tickets. I dunno, thats what it would take in Missouri.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #12
-Alero-
GLS member

well in the state of tennessee there are specific laws, and then inside knox county there are different rules, and the 1 rule i broke and i lost my liscense was because i had too many tardies in school. and i lost my liscense till im 18
Old 10-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #13
FormulaNERD
GLS member

that sucks.... but that's how it is, take your license, so now you have to walk, and you be even more late... they're so stupid.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
-Alero-
GLS member

exactly! i have to maintain a job, be on time to school and pass school, all without having a liscense. not to mention manage a girlfriend, and do errands. it sucks......its just unfair thats all it is. i mailed a letter to the school board of knoxville and they didnt even bother to reply.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 AM   #15
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Oct 7 2004, 07:26 PM
I don't know about the coolant flush, but the tranny can wait about another 10K. That one in actaully in the manual.

I'd have a shop do that because there is 14 quarts in the tranny and the converter. If you just lower the pan, you only get out 4 quarts. The dealer charged me $130 for it. $85 of that was just the fluid.

As for the coolant, it seems that every GM car is different. I don't mean one model to another, I'm talking each car. Your Alero is different than my Alero. I have almost 57K on my baby and I think I wanna get the coolant changed soon, but my car is almost 5 years old too. It's all gunky, and crappy inside my overflow too <_<
if you drop the pan redog there is actually 7 quarts that you have to change, assuming you have the 3400.....
Old 10-09-2004, 03:03 AM   #16
Voodosoup

I believe the recommended change out for the coolant is 5 years or 100,000 miles.
Or, whenever you have to replace the lower intake manifold gasket if you have the 3400