Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
ok im gonna put a lil more life into the car. i want to flush and change the coolant. how do i do this? is it that big hose next to the resivor that leads to the radiator? if it is what type of coolant do you guys recomend me getting? second im gonna switch to synthetic blend 5w-30. i guess im gonna start changing the oil myself. what oil do you guys recomend? i was thinking mobil one full syntec. (i wanna hear your opinions on which oil to buy) third, i want to buy new coil packs wires and plugs. i have a yellow theme going on in my engine bay, and was wondering if anyone new where to get 8.5mm yellow wires? and are the coilpacks on the alero upgrades page really yellow? i'd like some yellow ones B) . all in all i wanna hear everyones opinion on which plugs and which wires to get as well as coil packs. most of all i would prefer yellow or black if i have to.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
As far as the oil goes you may wanna start with a tri blend which is half synthetic and half real oil then at your next change do full synthetic. If you have the money get Mobil 1.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
-Alero-
GLS member

hmmm o right! what about coolant/antifreeze? and the precious pluggies and wires?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
wy3134

ive run 5w-30 quaker state and had no problems for the past year, and its relatively inexpensive....if you have the ecotec engine then its pretty easy to change the oil, just dont be a dousche like me and try to take the oil pan screw out by tightening it (its that reverse theology, righty loosey lefty tightey when getting at the oil pan from the front of the car) lmao i spent about 20 mins till i realized i was tightening the stupid thing, when i thought it was just on there tight as hell
Old 12-27-2004, 02:03 AM   #5
bigd6983

you can get the accel coil packs, they are yellow.....as far as wires im sure there is some, if not you can custom make your own set, i heard it aint too hard........i have no problem with blended oil, i change mine every 2500 miles.......because i do mostly city driving and i drive it hard........no problems here......
Old 12-27-2004, 02:21 AM   #6
-Alero-
GLS member

custom make your own spark plug wires!? i'd like to know how to do that. lol that would be funny if you could get away with over killing it with 12mm wires
Old 12-28-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
-Alero-
GLS member

anyone wanna tell me a good coolant to buy? and how to flush it!?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #8
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
^the kind that is suppost to go in it
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #9
-Alero-
GLS member

so dex cool again? and uhh how do i flush it? or do i have to have someone else do it?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:13 AM   #10
bluephoAm

I would go somewhere to get the coolant flushed since they have the equipment to do it right. I know Pep Boys does it.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:36 AM   #11
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluephoAm@Dec 29 2004, 01:13 AM
I would go somewhere to get the coolant flushed since they have the equipment to do it right. I know Pep Boys does it.
thanks exactly what i was looking for :thumbsup:
Old 12-29-2004, 12:48 AM   #12
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by Alero-@Dec 27 2004, 12:21 AM
custom make your own spark plug wires!? i'd like to know how to do that. lol that would be funny if you could get away with over killing it with 12mm wires
lol nah man i mean they have kits where you can custom cut all your wires to the length you want........

and seeing as i dont think a company makes yellow ones for the 3400, im sure there are some universal ones out there........
Old 12-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #13
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983+Dec 29 2004, 01:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigd6983 @ Dec 29 2004, 01:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alero-@Dec 27 2004, 12:21 AM
lol nah man i mean they have kits where you can custom cut all your wires to the length you want........

and seeing as i dont think a company makes yellow ones for the 3400, im sure there are some universal ones out there........ [/b][/quote]
yeah i was talking to my dad about this earlier today, and he said he hasnt seen them in a while. and then i just realized, whats the point of the custom wire kit if i dont even care where the wires are. so maybe i'll stock with some 8.5 wires, i can hopefully find in black, and if im lucky yellow, but its not looking so bright <_<
Old 12-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #14
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well man, if you do find a custom kit set, you could always retro-fit a set of Accel v8 wires with the boots and tool you get in the kit. That way, you get a superior wire, and the the look you want also.

~OR~

Have them custom-made for you here

I know, no Oldsmobile in the drop-down menu. Click on : Pontiac>Firebird 1993-95 V6 3.4L N , $31.99

From there it takes you to a config screen where you choose core diameter and jacket color. ( A set of their 8mm Yellow jackets is $38.99 plus shipping. )

I can't guaratee that these would fit perfect, but if you found an under-hood pic of a v6 Firebird, it would be easy to tell....just look for the coilpack location. If it's in roughly the same place as ours, the Fireturd's wires will fit.

hope this helps bro. :thumbsup:

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
justinusaf
GL Member

justinusaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to justinusaf
Quote:
Originally posted by Alero-@Dec 28 2004, 11:04 PM
so dex cool again? and uhh how do i flush it? or do i have to have someone else do it?
You can do it yourself. When you take it in to get it changed, if thats what you are going to do, you can get your coolant switched over to the green stuff. I would recommend it.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:19 AM   #16
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

that's what I should have done when I had the LIMG replaced...woulda been cheaper to go with the old green stuff in the long run.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Just make sure that when they flush your coolant they flush it the same direction as the regular flow. Some places will flush the system backwards and the head gaskets cannot handle that. They will start to leak a few weeks later if it's done this way.

Oil, I use the Mobil 1 5w-30 and an AC Delco filter (size PF 47 for the 2000) If you look around you can find a 4 quart jug of the oil. Walmart sells the 5 quart, but the 4 quart would be easier IMO. Pour the whole thing in and 1/2 a quart from another 1 quart bottle B)

Everybody is right, the coils are hard to get in yellow, but not impossible. Try looking for the Accel coil packs on summit, nopi, and jcwhitley. Yellow wires shouldn't be too hard to get.

Give Oldsman a shout, he has a yellow theme going on too :thumbsup:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #18
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Youngblood77@Dec 29 2004, 10:13 AM
Well man, if you do find a custom kit set, you could always retro-fit a set of Accel v8 wires with the boots and tool you get in the kit. That way, you get a superior wire, and the the look you want also.

~OR~

Have them custom-made for you here

I know, no Oldsmobile in the drop-down menu. Click on : Pontiac>Firebird 1993-95 V6 3.4L N , $31.99

From there it takes you to a config screen where you choose core diameter and jacket color. ( A set of their 8mm Yellow jackets is $38.99 plus shipping. )

I can't guaratee that these would fit perfect, but if you found an under-hood pic of a v6 Firebird, it would be easy to tell....just look for the coilpack location. If it's in roughly the same place as ours, the Fireturd's wires will fit.

hope this helps bro. :thumbsup:
what exactly is the sleeve? can i get 9 mm red/blue with a 1200 degree yellow sleeve? comes to 65$
Old 12-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #19
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Dec 29 2004, 12:19 PM
Just make sure that when they flush your coolant they flush it the same direction as the regular flow. Some places will flush the system backwards and the head gaskets cannot handle that. They will start to leak a few weeks later if it's done this way.

Oil, I use the Mobil 1 5w-30 and an AC Delco filter (size PF 47 for the 2000) If you look around you can find a 4 quart jug of the oil. Walmart sells the 5 quart, but the 4 quart would be easier IMO. Pour the whole thing in and 1/2 a quart from another 1 quart bottle B)

Everybody is right, the coils are hard to get in yellow, but not impossible. Try looking for the Accel coil packs on summit, nopi, and jcwhitley. Yellow wires shouldn't be too hard to get.

Give Oldsman a shout, he has a yellow theme going on too :thumbsup:
and which direction does the coolant flow? counter clockwise? would the shop know what i'd be talking about if i said "hey flush the fluid out in the exact way it flows" and what is the exact name of the green stuff? how much do i buy?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:39 PM   #20
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

The sleeve is just a jacket that changes the look of the wire and/or gives the wire the added high-temp resistance. As far as 9mm wires, it would be wasted money. Even the 8mm wires are kind of a waste unless you have an aftermarket ignition pushing a hotter or longer duration spark to your plugs. I've just got the 8mm Taylors, and chances are, I'll never see any benefit from the purchase. Maybe a miniscule mileage increase, but that's it. No difference @ all.