Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #61
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfenhag_alero View Post
As for how deep the vent goes on the top part it is 2 1/4"- flush which puts the fender close to the fender frame top rail. The Vented part is 3/4"-2 3/4" and it doesn't even come close to hitting the frame underneith. Another reason for using the fiberglass fender flares is bc they are solid flares and it will help stiffen up the front fenders since my front bumper sits so low.

its called upper frame rail, i was askin about if wat your doing is going to hit the upper rail, ok so why not make a bracket so the bumper doesnt move around on ya, a fender flare is not going to make a bumper stiffer, brackets will

and i wont even touch the whole welding thing becaseu it could go south real fast
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #62
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

volfenhag_alero is on a distinguished road
I building brackets for the front bumper as well, but I was talking about stiffening up the fenders for side impact, bc I had a lady open her truck door into my driver side front fender and she crushed it in. That's why I'm doing it the way I'm doing it
volfenhag_alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #63
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
ohhhhhhhh, well sorry but the only way to do that would be to use thicker metal and make your own fender, or use high strenght steel like bmw and mercedes does and make your own fender

a flare isnt going to make metal stiffer or stronger metal makes metal stiffer and stronger, thats why i said do them in metal
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #64
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
ohhhhhhhh, well sorry but the only way to do that would be to use thicker metal and make your own fender, or use high strenght steel like bmw and mercedes does and make your own fender

a flare isnt going to make metal stiffer or stronger metal makes metal stiffer and stronger, thats why i said do them in metal

I don't think you're understanding it correctly. It sounds like the fender buckled inward when the door hit it. Fiberglass isn't going to buckle like metal would, so if there was a large flare there it would absorb the impact and the result would be damage to the flare and not deformation in the metal fender. Therefore, it is strengthening the fender, just not in the sense you are thinking.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #65
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

^^^ Thank you for getting what I was trying to say
Old 04-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #66
Dhoyle
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dhoyle is on a distinguished road
oh crap, *gets ready for the Bdyman A-Bomb*
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #67
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
oh snap...
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #68
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
this is going to become a really good argument.....
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #69
bdyman
GLS member

ok so tell me how a fiberglass flare is going to change a metal fender, and how is a door opening going to buckle a fender, the person must have superman poweres to buckle a fender

fiberglass cracks upon a impact, a piece of fiberglass iam sorry is not going to make something more durable,stronger, and dent resistant
so i see what your saying i do but fiberglass does not make metal stronger
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #70
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

The fender flares I got are solid, not like normal fender flares... I don't have the fender wells in the car either... the lady opened the door and I guess the wind caught it and it smashed in my fender... The truck was gone when I got back to my car and noticed the damage... Fiberglass is easier to repair when chipped or cracked, than it is to reshape and reconstruct metal, that is why I'm using fiberglass fender flares.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #71
Dhoyle
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dhoyle is on a distinguished road
so far soo good, lols * puts on a flax jacket and helmet*
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #72
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Let the man do his work, its not for us to tell him how to do something.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #73
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeaningOfLife View Post
Let the man do his work, its not for us to tell him how to do something.

Amend brother!
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #74
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
this could all end bad...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #75
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
I'm going to wait an see the finished product before I comment about it.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #76
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHeLlRaZoR View Post
I'm going to wait an see the finished product before I comment about it.

agreed
Old 04-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #77
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bdyman I got in a hit and run front wasn't molded small crack in bumper and buckled the hell out of the fender and then another time drive scraped badly took small little chunk out of bumper and buckled my other fender. So my fiberglass bumper is stronger then my fenders but I have like one of the first aed bumpers richies old one.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #78
paulyb
GLS member

paulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these parts
just my 2 cents,

while you have the fenders off, cut arround the wheel arch move it out and use that to form the wide body,bodyman might be able to better exsplain, i forgot what its called, but its used in the vip style to make room for the wide wheels and serious camber, and bring the wheel lipright to the fender line when stretcing the tire.

which begs he question, what wheels are you going to use so that it doesnt stupid with wide fenders and your tires sunk into them.

Last edited by paulyb : 04-06-2009 at 08:18 AM.
paulyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #79
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
man i would ruin that fender in a heartbeat with my air ride lol looks like its coming along nicely, keep us updating with pics

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #80
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
Looks good man, keep us updated.