Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Rough Idle after cleaning MAF and TB

Yesterday I got a little bored and I thought I would open up my intake to check if it was dirty. When everything was open I was in for a big surprise. There was dried up clumps of dirt on my MAF and the Intake plenum was brown inside.

I noticed that the plastic on the driver's side wheel well that protects dust and debris from getting into the intake had a huge hole in it. So I think my CAI might have started sucking up a lot of crap that the guard was suppost to protect it from. The filter was just a generic filter that came with the CAI I bought off an ebay brand called "Chrome Intakes".

I managed to get the MAF and the TB Cleaned. I also cleaned what I could see on the intake plenum. My brother also helped me patch the hole in the fender well with a piece of plastic and some screws.

Before I took it all apart, my Alero idled pretty smooth for its age, but after cleaning it and putting everything back together, it idles strange as if it was misfiring. You can hear it popping out of the tailpipe. While I'm driving casually, it still runs ok. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the PCM has to adjust to increased airflow? I was also thinking of using some seafoam spray to spray into the upper intake manifold to clean it out.

Here is some pics:

Dirty MAF

Back end of the TB

Part of the Intake Plenum where the TB connects to

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is that yellow stuff? dried urine crystals?

Last edited by hok666 : 07-13-2011 at 09:03 PM.
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Leaking air somewhere.
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote