Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
Lower Control Arm Bushings

So my 'newer' Alero makes clunking noises over bumps/dips, and my mechanic says it is the lower control arm bushings, and asked me to find the parts.

This is a Final 500, so GLS with the sport/FE3 suspension and I'm having problems locating the parts.

As far as I can tell the two bushings are part numbers 22710854 (1 for each side) and 22645683 (2 for each side). While the whole control arm assy. part numbers are 10365843 and 10365844. But from what I can tell the arms aren't available, and they say to sub the non-sport versions, which I really don't want to do.

Does anybody have a recommendation on where to get the parts, or what aftermarket parts are any good?
Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k

Last edited by Garfield : 01-08-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced mine with non sport suspension rated... Havent noticed a difference.

Only one on rockauto that specifies is API 270394727 front right... They do not offer one in front left though. But it is wholesale closeout at 14$!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
You could go for the 99 aluminum control arm with j body poly bushings if you want to upgrade.... if you can find a set of the arms in a junk yard or online(i have a set but shipping might be ridiculous!)....Prothane kit 7-234 is the number for the poly bushings

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
I'm running the J-body poly bushings Tim mentioned above, some people complain about them making a stiff ride etc but I don't find it that bad... Don't need the 99 aluminum arms to use the J-body bushings but nice little upgrade if you can find a set for a decent price

I polished my arms... so pretty lol
Old 01-10-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Wait a second, we are talking about these J-bodies?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_J_platform

They use the same control arms and bushing as our N-bodies?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
_HeC_
GX Member

same size bushings yes but our arms are slightly longer but that doesn't stop the J-body guys from running our aluminum arms, front knuckles and brakes as a upgrade some cavalier/sunfire owners even use our IRS setup
Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Always good to know.
EDIT:

I understand correct, that this ONLY counts for front lower control arm bushing, nothing else? So rear suspension is still unique to the Alero?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Garfield
GX Member

I ended up getting the Prothane kit and having them installed and the clunking noise is now gone. Thanks for the suggestion!

The suspension does seem firmer, but it isn't too bad like some people told me these bushings would be. (Heck I have to figure any new bushing would have had firmer suspension given the old ones were so bad as to cause clunking.)

Of course now that the car is quieter over bumps I can hear a faint spring squeak sometimes...
Old 01-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
dschroed
GX Member

dschroed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by _HeC_ View Post
I'm running the J-body poly bushings Tim mentioned above, some people complain about them making a stiff ride etc but I don't find it that bad... Don't need the 99 aluminum arms to use the J-body bushings but nice little upgrade if you can find a set for a decent price

I polished my arms... so pretty lol

Those look so clean. I have a 99, so I will definitely be making this a project.
dschroed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:16 AM   #10
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
My bushings need to be done as well, what's the difference (other than color) between the black and red kits? The reds are cheaper. Also is this something me and a buddy can do relatively easy, or should I just pay a mechanic to deal with the headache? (I did read a bit on doing them but would still like to hear opinions)
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
Garfield
GX Member

You need a press to get the old bushing out and the new bushing in. (At least for the rear one.)

If I recall correctly the "book" time to replace the bushings is 4.1 hours, but it only took my mechanic 2.7.

The "easy" way to do it yourself would be to just get new lower control arms, since they come with new bushings. (Of course I don't know of any with poly bushings.) And you end up with a new ball joint at the same time.

I don't know that there is any difference between them other than color, I opted for black because it was cheaper than red at the time and I really didn't want red. (I paid $41.37 from Amazon on 1/12.)

I considered getting new lower control arms and having a shop just replace the rear bushing and doing the arm swap myself, but decided it was just easier to let my normal mechanic do the whole thing.

Last edited by Garfield : 01-28-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #12
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Thanks Garfield, I'll probably pay a mechanic to do it. Also is the Prothane 7-234 kit contain both sides or will I need to order two kits? (pictures show four total bushings but we all know pics aren't always accurate)

p.s. I would've started my own thread but I figured this applies to the current thread (keep all the info in one place, less forum clutter)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #13
_HeC_
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschroed View Post
Those look so clean. I have a 99, so I will definitely be making this a project.
thanks man, be prepared to waste a few hours lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahlzeron View Post
what's the difference (other than color) between the black and red kits? The reds are cheaper. Also is this something me and a buddy can do relatively easy, or should I just pay a mechanic to deal with the headache? (I did read a bit on doing them but would still like to hear opinions)

the black ones get impregnated with a graphite in them and help cut down on squeaks! I installed mine myself with a bench vise, no fancy tools needed and the kit comes with everything for both control arms... ignore that trans mount in upper left, used it for my 5spd swap
Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 AM   #14
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _HeC_ View Post
I installed mine myself with a bench vise, no fancy tools needed and the kit comes with everything for both control arms..

Good to know, thanks!

p.s. any suggestions for ball joints?(since I gotta pull the arms to do the bushings, provided mine are bolted and not riveted, other wise I'll just buy new arms) MOOG are good products, but I'm not looking to break the bank, and the $11.99 Falcon ones are probably junk. How are the ACDelco Advantage? (AC pro's are about same price as MOOG and appear to be the same)

Last edited by Bahlzeron : 02-03-2016 at 03:12 AM.